Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411603 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 12:42:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessSim games trademark question
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sim games trademark question  (Read 2058 times)
Ooops
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2012, 06:09:26 AM »

Hello.

I am currently in the process of developing a sim/management game (for the sake of argument, let's say it's about managing a record company).

I would like to call it, say, SimRecordCompany.

Would I be violating Electronic Arts trademark? From my research, it seems that only the names of the specific games (Simcity, Simearth, SimAnt, etc.) have been trademarked, but I'm no lawyer and I have no idea if this means that anyone can use other SimXxx names.

Would be most grateful for insight from anybody "in the know".

Take care,
Ooops
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 07:43:27 AM »

I'm not a lawyer, but I wouldn't call my game SimAnything. It'd be like making an electronics device and calling it iSomething. You run quite a risk of getting in trouble.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 09:45:23 AM »

From what I understand, a lot of it has to do with additional similarities, like fonts, colours and logos. The idea is to protect customers from businesses attempting to mislead them into think they're the official whatever.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 10:52:20 AM »

Yeah, that's the purpose of trademarks, but sadly a lot of companies are quite over-protective of their trademarks (like the recent Scrolls thing), so it's probably best to steer completely clear of any potential legal issues. If you get sued by Maxis/EA for having a SimX name, you might have the law on your side, but are you really willing to go to court over it? I think that's the question you have to ask yourself...

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Leroy Binks
Level 0

Team Lead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 11:01:16 AM »

I agree.  Distance yourself from the SimX title, but in all of your marketing text a heavy use of the word simulator and simulation should still get the search results hits you are looking for. 

Besides, RecordCompanyReplicant sounds pretty cool too.

There are plenty of pixelated programmers pounding out products of peculiar playability at a prolific pace with purported profits.

This reply has been brought to you today by the letter "P"
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 12:52:53 PM »

don't call it "Sim X"

however, feel free to call it "X Simulation"

Ooops
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 01:37:55 PM »

Thanks for all your answers.

Not really what I hoped, but really what I feared.
I suppose the fact that there hasn't been any non-maxis SimXxx that I can think of was a pretty good hint.

Happy new year !
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 05:45:24 AM »

There was a Sim-Something that wasn't by EA/Maxis, but it got shut down, and I can't remember what it was.

Also see: "Ville" suffix. Zynga actively pursues legal action against people who call their game "XYZVille" http://pixelsmashers.com/?p=12237
leonelc29
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 05:09:58 AM »

i don't really know how your sim work, but apparently KairoSoft developed a lot of sim and management game, one after another.

sim/management gameplay cannot be protected with copyright, what you really gonna avoid doing is what everyone said above. good luck dude.  Hand Thumbs Up Right
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic