Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411558 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 09:51:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1321881 times)
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 30, 2010, 10:16:05 AM »

Having coal/gold/diamond to appear on the surface. Since it's randomly generated and not too common, I don't see any problem.

When infinite multiplayer is implemented, the surface ores will not last long, so the players will have to dig sooner or later. Even now, as far as I played, they don't appear too often.

Hmm, one problem I can forsee from multiplayer survival is players extracting rare resources and disappearing with them, but this would be worse in limited size survival There could be something like magma eruptions replenishing ores. That would make lava areas more interesting, but since they are very dangerous in survival it would create an interesting balance.
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 30, 2010, 10:52:26 AM »

I would just love to see random things popping out, old ruins, abandoned houses, huge chunks of rocks sticking out (instead of always dirt), stuff like that. Also, Neutral Goblin Villages to trade goods. The sky is the limit.

I believe Notch has planned this, through a function he calls "terrain features". Right now the only thing terrain features adds is trees, but he seems to join your ideas on it Smiley

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/464021044/caves-and-features
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: March 30, 2010, 11:08:52 AM »

Right now the only thing terrain features adds is trees, but he seems to join your ideas on it Smiley

Speaking of trees, we got to have HUGE GODDAMN TREES like that tree generator they have in the forums.

I just love building my fort on a huge goddamn tree.
Curseman
« Reply #523 on: March 30, 2010, 12:28:12 PM »

Players need to be constantly losing their resources through death or something so that not everyone in a given server has diamond armor after the its 5th day.
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 30, 2010, 01:57:03 PM »

You lose your inventory when you die, iirc.

kYn: That would be sweet! Although I personally prefer to have my bases underground  Noir
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #525 on: March 30, 2010, 01:59:37 PM »

That's actually just a cover up, I also have a huge underground base below my tree fort. Noir
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 30, 2010, 02:00:39 PM »

But those resources are not renewable and every equipment has limited durability. Eventually a limited server would be depleted. Infinite servers would have depleted areas as well. Everyone might have a diamond armor after the 5th day, but eventually nobody will have much more than stone. Even stone can be nearly depleted with enough time.

(Is Minecraft promoting environmental consciousness? Huh?)
Curseman
« Reply #527 on: March 30, 2010, 05:16:24 PM »

But it would be cool if resources became super rare and players murdered each other over them.
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 30, 2010, 06:13:44 PM »

Or if cities expanded, spanning over several kilometers, regions connected by bridges and secret underground passages, players working day and night to reach gold veins before the other cities...

OH THE AWESOMENESS  Mock Anger
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 30, 2010, 07:22:21 PM »

“Perhaps all floating chunks of blocks should fall down, except for a special block (obsidian?) that can be used to make floating things. Floating islands would need obsidian veins to stay afloat.”

~ Notch on To-do list

Oh man imagine that- a team raiding another team's floating island, mining all the obsidian, leading to the crash of the floating island.  Tears of Joy

So much can be done with Minecraft...Notch, you're our god now.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:38:31 PM by Guillaume » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 30, 2010, 07:27:42 PM »

I just wish I could play it.  Cry
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 30, 2010, 07:39:04 PM »

Step 1: Get wallet

Step 2: Buy game

Step 3: Have your mind blown

It's not that hard...and 10 euros is a steal, too.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 30, 2010, 08:00:54 PM »

Step 1: Get wallet

Step 2: Buy game

Step 3: Have your mind blown

It's not that hard...and 10 euros is a steal, too.

It doesn't work, is what I'm saying. It crashes whenever it finishes loading.
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 30, 2010, 08:04:36 PM »

Oh, my mistake.

Booh Sad What kind of crash do you get?
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 30, 2010, 08:21:20 PM »

Oh, my mistake.

Booh Sad What kind of crash do you get?

Nope, Windows 7. Just updated Java. I don't know how much; the second the loading bars are done, the entire applet just kinda disappears, like it was never there. Here's the pic. It's just... gone.

It'd be nice if there was an offline version or something.
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 30, 2010, 09:01:34 PM »

Aah, sorry for not having read the whole topic. I should think twice before posting.  Ninja

Mmh, on Windows 7 x64 here, no problem whatsoever. I'm using the Sun release of the Java VM.

However on my netbook (Windows 7,  32 bits) it doesn't work because the graphics chipset doesn't support the version of OpenGL version used by lwjgl (damn you, GMA500!). I get an exception in a popup though. Maybe for some reason your VM doesn't handle exceptions the same way? What's your config like?
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 30, 2010, 09:23:31 PM »

I
Aah, sorry for not having read the whole topic. I should think twice before posting.  Ninja

Mmh, on Windows 7 x64 here, no problem whatsoever. I'm using the Sun release of the Java VM.

However on my netbook (Windows 7,  32 bits) it doesn't work because the graphics chipset doesn't support the version of OpenGL version used by lwjgl (damn you, GMA500!). I get an exception in a popup though. Maybe for some reason your VM doesn't handle exceptions the same way? What's your config like?

First off, it's fine. Was just quoting for ease.

I'm not a computer guy, really, so I'm not sure how it's handling the graphics.
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 30, 2010, 09:31:12 PM »

If you press the Windows key + pause key (or go in Control Panel\System and Security\System ), and then in "Device Manager", what does it say under "Display Adapters"?
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 30, 2010, 09:42:18 PM »

If you press the Windows key + pause key (or go in Control Panel\System and Security\System ), and then in "Device Manager", what does it say under "Display Adapters"?

NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 30, 2010, 09:49:28 PM »

That's a pretty old graphics card...if I had to take a guess, I'd say Minecraft uses an OpenGL extension (or potentially the whole OpenGL system) that is incompatible with it. Unfortunately, if that's the case, you'll have to wait for your next computer to play minecraft Sad

As a last recourse, have you tried updating your graphics drivers (here if you have a 32 bit system)? If you use Windows 7's native ones, it could explain why it crashes.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic