Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 10:53:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesI Wanna Be The Guy: Gaiden
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: I Wanna Be The Guy: Gaiden  (Read 24043 times)
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »

Finding good videos of IWBTG:G is difficult. They all seem to be LP videos.

Kayin, since you're here and chatting, I am curious - when designing traps and obstacles for IWBTG:G, do you have any sort of rules or tricks you like to use when planning out how the levels flow? I'm wondering if you have some rule of thumb, maybe, where you put only so many tricks between checkpoints, or you aim for some average number of deaths from a certain obstacle to achieve just the right amount of frustration.

Have you ever put in an obstacle only to take it out when you thought "No, even I'm not that sadistic"?
falsion
« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2012, 03:48:14 PM »

As for using Castlevania? There are plenty of things that kill you in that game that you have little chance of avoiding the first time through. The second screen of medusa heads on stage 2 murders a lot of people. Once you know where to stand through trial and error, it becomes perfectly manage-able. Same with the underground segment of stage 4, which is even worse since the best methods of clearing it safely are non-obvious The mermen are semi random -- there are things you can do to succeed 100% of the time, but they are, from the players perspective, arbitrary. In practice you're going to die deaths you couldn't help but to avoid in Castlevania over and over again until you learn it. Another example would be the Owls in Castlevania 3. You CAN survive them on your first go, but they're probably going to rip you apart. You don't know how they behave and they are brutal. They both come down to rote memorization, but in comparison to IWBTG, Castlevania keeps up an illusion of fairness. This isn't to say Castlevania doesn't do a huge laundry list of things better than IWBTG, but that's another conversation!

I suppose. But once I knew how to deal with say, the Medusa heads, it felt like I learned a skill and even in other Castlevania games, I'd be able to apply that and overcome the same obstacle. I'm playing Castlevania: ReBirth on Wiiware and I feel the old skills I have still working in the newer game. Nothing in IWTBTG feels that consistent as it's always changing the rules just to annoy you. But I guess that's the point of the game.

As for the whole QTE event thing... the game is designed around that. The relatively gentle punishment is designed to facilitate that. They can even often be predicted and understanding how a segment totally works is part of the exploratory aspect of the game. Each death counts for every little. The game might humorously rub your nose in it, but death is basically a gameplay mechanic.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer it if I got hit by a Mesuda head and fell to my death than accidentally moved 1 pixel too many and my guy explodes. Maybe it's the same thing, I don't know. But at least the former feels natural and is something I could avoid while the latter just feels scripted and forced.

Also lastly, IWBTG is not meant to be a "retro" game in the same way a lot of other games are (or even one of my own  projects is). It's not supposed to an authentic NES like experience -- some new game we never got to play. It is invoking the MEMORY of these things. How arbitrary and unfair a lot of these games used to feel to a lot of us. You can't recreate something and present it in a modern context (We're all grownups with a lot more knowledge and experience) and expect to get the same result. You have to skew things the right way to invoke those old memories. For a lot of people it's like turning back the clock. For other people it's torture or it just doesn't work for them and they'd rather not play it and that's perfectly cool too.

It fails to do that for me. Yeah, the games back then were hard but in a different way than this game does things. Whatever, I guess it doesn't work out for me and it's not my type of game.

Anyway, I don't really care anymore. Good luck with whatever you're doing. I just don't like this game.
Uykered
« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2012, 03:56:31 PM »

Most challenges in Castlevania you can anticipate or prepare for, but in I wanna be the dum it's surprise you died!
Kayin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 19, 2012, 04:01:11 PM »

Finding good videos of IWBTG:G is difficult. They all seem to be LP videos.

Kayin, since you're here and chatting, I am curious - when designing traps and obstacles for IWBTG:G, do you have any sort of rules or tricks you like to use when planning out how the levels flow? I'm wondering if you have some rule of thumb, maybe, where you put only so many tricks between checkpoints, or you aim for some average number of deaths from a certain obstacle to achieve just the right amount of frustration.

Have you ever put in an obstacle only to take it out when you thought "No, even I'm not that sadistic"?

A lot of it is by gut, since a lot of it is by pacing, but I can share some examples.

So Stage 1-1 has that big long intro where you swoop in for like 30 seconds and ingloriously plop to your death. Now, that's a tricky joke because it can get old REAL fast (for some people "real fast" is "right away" but lets assume the average IWBTG player). Considering the length of the intro, the optimal length for the joke is probably 3 times. 3-5 is probably the limit. 3 pretty much the key number for invoking repetition and kinda the sweet spot here. Originally the first save was located on Hard (default difficulty) where the Comm room would be in Bionic Commando. So, that segment has about 4 gotchas. So optimistically you can assume 5 deaths before they save and stop having to repeat that segment, but it could be like, 20 times or whatever and is probably closer to that. It's also a bit misleading since that segment, once learned, is easy. So moving the hard mode save down past the first crusher was the best choice. You'd get probably at least one fall into the water, maybe one missed jump, and, during their moment of glory, they'd be smashed into the ground. 3-4 deaths and likely to be more consistent than the other way. Also worked better for pacing. Instead of starting the next spot off with a hard grapple and another save point, you get an easy segment, followed by a hard segment, followed by an easy segment which is kind of ideal. Segments with lots of little tricks to increase optimization are the best things to have in the beginning of a segment. Including them at the end is a little silly because that generally means that only hardcore speedrunner type people will really be able to enjoy that aspect. People love finding tricks and while a lot of people might guess my gut reaction would be to remove tricks that make things easier, I intentionally leave them in (or sometimes create them) to give the player more of a sense of progression.

This also means a lot of stuff has to be eyeballed. Like, I can't have rigid plans for an area. A trap or segment may be way easier or harder than expected, so to maintain good pacing, I need to reconsider the next area. Gotta mix the 'texture' of areas. If one part is tight and difficult and kinda claustrophobic or fast paced, something more open, even if it's still hard is good. This is probably true for almost any game. If you put the pressure on too long, the player just defaults into hopelessness. One of the hardest segments in the game is a stretch in 2-1 that ends with you falling down and precision grappling crushing sawblades. At the end of that, most players are "done", even though the segment has multiple saves. The area after is generally more gentle and 'trick' oriented, allowing the player to relax and shoot some enemies, before having Zangief land on them (which tonally shifts things toward Street Fighter and sets up the Sagat gimmick and all that).

Also to talk about repetition, one of the other little tricks there is the guy who bursts out of the floor instead of the barrels. Just looking at it by it's self, that's just a dumb, arbitrary trick... but it was being set up since stage 1-1. Right before that happens, the player has dealt with guys leaping out of barrels exactly 3 times. Even on the 3rd one, they know what's going on (3 is the magic number), but the situation is still tricky. But that last 4th one inverts it, and now the barrel guys are gone. Their joke has been exhausted and that was the payoff. That also sets up for the bigger punchline that is the Zangief drop. The player already GOT the joke and is probably lowering their defenses a bit and BAM, Zangief.

A lot of stuff you can do if you're trying to make a game like this is sorta "magic" stuff. Misdirection and all that. One of my favorite traps in the whole game is you just were running on these red cannisters where the tops popped off and slammed into the ceiling. You get to the end -- on normal ground -- and you see a pit, with 3 spikes over it and a save after that. This is concerning. The player hasn't seen a falling spike in the game yet (unless their first playthrough was on Tuesday when the game was in Curse Mode), but it's concerning. OBVIOUSLY a trap! Then, after a healthy delay, the floor under the player shoots up line the canisters and smashes him. The spikes were just misdirection and the floor takes a good bit to trigger -- just enough time for the player to stop, relax and really look at what's in front of them.

So basically you wanna:

*Have good Pacing
*Be clever so deaths are funnier than they are painful
*Know when a joke might outwear it's welcome and design around that
*Give the player the tools to make them feel like they've beaten you or found clever ways around your traps you didn't expect. Even if you knew about it, it'll make them feel great and a sense of accomplishment is what makes people keep playing.
*Betray expectations by building consistency.
*Try not to be "mean". You wanna basically play "Hard to Get" with the player, not stomp their balls in.

Also keeping the motion/flow through levels and the aesthetic varied and stuff is also extra important. That's game design 101 stuff, but it's a little extra important to have good handle on it when you're in a strange S&M situation with the player and you don't want them to tap out.

As for trap being too hard? No. Most ideas can be salvaged and if they were really bad, they're culled so fast on the first test that I can't remember them. I reconfigure and move stuff around all the time and the exact nature of a segment might be way different then I expect, but rarely do I have to go "Okay, fuck that"! I usually have red flags going off in my brain waaay earlier than that.

I also found my beta testers (who encouraged the original IWBTG to be made at all) to be sadists. Play testing is important, but if the play testers say it's okay, it's probably a bit too hard. My general metric is "If I can do it consistently, it's probably hard and if I can do it easily, it's probably reasonably challenging", but each developer is probably calibrated a bit differently so it's important to understand how good (or bad) you are at your own game. Sometimes the opposite can happen when you even think your game is hard (Because it uses skills you don't particularly use much) and then an experienced player mangles it with ease, which is what happened with Binding of Isaac when I was testing it.
shig
« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2012, 04:20:55 PM »

Hey man, I played a good bit of your game and here are a few things I want to point out even though you most likely already know about them: It would be good to get some sort of specific hitspark or sound for when your grappling hook gets "blocked" by something or is forced to let go of whatever it was latched on to by an enemy. It's just a thing that could be made easier to tell by the player, and would let them understand how the hook works faster, especially considering that it is kind of buggy sometimes and seems to not latch on things randomly.

Also there is a part in the first level where you have a bunch of floating things preventing you from swinging to another platform and you have to shoot this guy who replaces every one of the floating things you shoot down, and it's kind of stupid that the trajectories of the floaty things are pretty much random and they block your shots, randomly, even after you already know you have to shoot the guy first to pass.
Kayin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2012, 04:27:27 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer it if I got hit by a Mesuda head and fell to my death than accidentally moved 1 pixel too many and my guy explodes. Maybe it's the same thing, I don't know. But at least the former feels natural and is something I could avoid while the latter just feels scripted and forced.

This is actually a very very interesting topic! Like I said, just because a parts of two things are the same under the hood, doesn't mean they're the same. Misdirection is a VERY legitimate trick. I might, to go with the magic references, be doing the

, but that's not necessarily representative of what would normally be good gamedesign/magic.

So really where you should be doing now is thinking "Hm! If this call comes down to rote memorization, why DOES Castlevania feel better to me"? What creates the illusion and what makes the gameplay mechanically fun? While it's mileage might vary, you have a movement and attack set that drastically decreases the upper limit on what is fair. An enemy the size of a player running in a straight line is some sort of threat, while in IWBTG that would be trivial. Your attack opens you up -- it's slow and, compared to say, IWBTG or Megaman(both games where attacking doesn't significantly effect the Player's state), is risky. You can put a lot of stress in these conditions on enemy placement. A lot of simple enemies go a long way when your options are restricted, so changes are you will have a lot of interesting configurations to put them in. Even on a scale level, the game is going to feel more fair than IWBTG. Also since the range of possible player actions are limited, various optimization tend to be more obvious and easier to execute than in IWBTG, giving a rapid sense of progress. The Medusa heads and Mermen introduce some unfairness, but combined with the amount of time the player dies due to obvious mistakes, Castlevania can sneak those elements in and learning to overcome them consistency give the player a lot to feel good about!

That said, the older Castlevania's do also have negative reputations for the things I pointed out. The original Castlevania's are NOT universally loved and by seeing that, we can better see the spectrum of various player preferences and what elements tend to tick players off in what amount.

Either way, understanding how misdirection like this works is important in learning how to do the same in your own projects!

Hey man, I played a good bit of your game and here are a few things I want to point out even though you most likely already know about them: It would be good to get some sort of specific hitspark or sound for when your grappling hook gets "blocked" by something or is forced to let go of whatever it was latched on to by an enemy. It's just a thing that could be made easier to tell by the player, and would let them understand how the hook works faster, especially considering that it is kind of buggy sometimes and seems to not latch on things randomly.

Also there is a part in the first level where you have a bunch of floating things preventing you from swinging to another platform and you have to shoot this guy who replaces every one of the floating things you shoot down, and it's kind of stupid that the trajectories of the floaty things are pretty much random and they block your shots, randomly, even after you already know you have to shoot the guy first to pass.

Hey, a hit spark on grappling in general might be cool. I definitely need to go in and fix a number of things about it though. There are still occasional rejected grapples that make no sense at all that need to be fixed and I definitely want to improve the tactile experience and player feedback. I think having the grpaple hoot hit something and come back when it should have grabbed is more obnoxious than the claw just traveling through something it should have grabbed.

As for that segmeent, it's one og the ones I have the most insecurity about. I can it BECOMES a very easy shot for people, but I wouldn't mind making it a tad easier. Maybe I SHOULD consider giving them a more predictable pattern that wouldn't effect any of the current speed run tactics (which are awesome and totally just jump over that whole segment) while making it a little less grating for new players.

After I get the first patch out (sometime today) I'm probably going to sit down and look at grappling hook code and revisit that area and the area after the rocket guys in stage 2-1. Thanks for the thoughtful feedback though! It's a breath of fresh air considering the tone of this thread. Your support is definitely appreciated. Smiley

(if things go well I might even sneak in the hitspark stuff in before the patch goes live today if I hustle, because that's a really good idea)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »

QWOP is a thing that succeeds at what it sets out to do. It IS a joke game (I think Foddy wouldn't mind me saying this.
I don't think it was meant to be a joke-game in first place. He just didn't know how to do better. So it natively turned out that way with humorous benefits.
Do you, however, know how to do better with your game: Trapthem? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

The game is 10 feet over your head, how much better do you want it to be? Tongue

But what's the point of that question? I doubt you understood my post in a correct manner.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 04:59:08 PM by J-Snake » Logged

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2012, 04:46:28 PM »

Foddy's said publicly that he was messing around trying to make something a little less ridiculous, but the ridiculous thing he made was awesome. So he recognized and acted on it,
A lot of great design has origins in bugs, glitches and mistakes.
No doubt about all of that. You are just stating what I said. Not that there is something wrong with that. This is just how things can go.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2012, 05:46:14 PM »

Re: Medusa Heads and Merdudes in Castlevania

These enemies have reasonably predictable behavior. They spawn in certain rooms, at small intervals, and they always come from the same direction (up out of the water, or gliding from the right). A smart player will move to a place where they can survive a hit without falling, kill the next foe that appears, and quickly move to the next safe spot. If you get hit in a safe area, you take damage but you don't get insta-killed.

It's still pretty poor design by putting insta-kills so soon after the player first meets the monster combined with Castlevania's all-or-nothing jumps where you can't change momentum in midair, but the game still offers plenty of opportunities for forgiveness. Plus, learning to move where the knockback doesn't kill you is a valuable skill that comes in handy for all the rest of the game.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2012, 05:54:56 PM »

Instant deaths but also continuous enemy spawns a la nes-games is one of the poorest things in design aswell.

(I am not referring anything to iwbtg because even when it sucks it can find an excuse for it by definition)

Kayin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2012, 06:03:35 PM »

Really for this segment, the green area I marked is the prolem. If platforms existed there, the player would possibly take a few hits and then be able to find safe ground and slowly progress. Having instant death pixels behind them means they have to know exactly what they have to do or get lucky to survive right now.

So I totally support respawning enemies and instant death, but knowing how and why to use them is the tricky part!
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2012, 06:14:04 PM »

The game is 10 feet over your head, how much better do you want it to be? Tongue

But what's the point of that question? I doubt you understood my post in a correct manner.

J-Snake I need a list of all the game elements and enemies in TrapThem.  So I can steal the good ones.  Gimmie.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2012, 07:27:58 PM »

Really for this segment, the green area I marked is the prolem. If platforms existed there, the player would possibly take a few hits and then be able to find safe ground and slowly progress. Having instant death pixels behind them means they have to know exactly what they have to do or get lucky to survive right now.

So I totally support respawning enemies and instant death, but knowing how and why to use them is the tricky part!
In case you have clicked on my youtube-channel: My game is entirely instant death in this merit. It won't work otherwise. But that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about the instant death which is ignoring the players expectations. You go even a step further and just piss on them, but that's the purpose of your game. 

In my game I keep consistent rules and don't add to them, for the most part. The player knows exactly how the world works. And I still manage to surprise him, but not by changing the rules or adding new elements to the world in a given scenario. What I mostly do is offering different scenarios within the known rule-set. Which means I have actually to exploit my rule-set to the fullest. That sounds  like mathematicians work, but in a practical manifestation. That is actually what makes a real game. The player can dive into it and explore its depths.

But like I said your game is not made to be a real game, just for some humor and reflex-tests. So from my standpoint I don't need to talk about it much.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2012, 07:47:28 PM »

Kayin I think I heard on the 1UP podcast that you are related to one of the people at 1UP (or was). Is this true?
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2012, 07:55:37 PM »

Was the gaiden subtitle supposed to be used like it's supposed to be (sidestory, pretty much) or was it just to call it a sequel?
Nix
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2012, 08:02:56 PM »

There are no rules in I Wanna to Be the Guy
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2012, 08:23:44 PM »

Parrot

Kayin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2012, 08:30:50 PM »

Kayin I think I heard on the 1UP podcast that you are related to one of the people at 1UP (or was). Is this true?

Sharkey called me "his kid" because I'm part of his forum community..... which he's too drunk to ever check and that has mostly abandoned him. But yeah, he didn't mean that seriously.

Was the gaiden subtitle supposed to be used like it's supposed to be (sidestory, pretty much) or was it just to call it a sequel?

Yeah. You're not playing The Kid/Guy, which I think makes it an appropriate subtitle.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 20, 2012, 05:17:40 AM »

So this game was meant for a comical showing at evo? From what I seen in the video it's less a game showcase and more a Experience for floe to be dick over on stream. Does this game have multiplayer because it seems on the video you could interfere with controlled dick moves. So is this on par with Indie games made for Cons?
Kinda want to see a STREEMERZ reference into this game.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:43:19 AM by Rumrusher » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2012, 05:19:24 AM »

Does this game have multiplayer because it seems on the video you could interfere with controlled dick moves.

That's the sequel's sequel, "I wanna be the dick-ass game designer".
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic