Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 08:03:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallRocket Leapin
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rocket Leapin  (Read 810 times)
commodore
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2011, 05:47:48 AM »

Play here:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/embassyhill/rocket-leapin

This is my first game that's not just a dumb exercise. My primary inspirations were the great Flash games Meatboy and Moneyseize. Another source of inspiration was Quake's rocket jumping and especially Warsow, the game developed from Quake 2.

As you can expect from that introduction, it's quite challenging. A lot of people complain about the difficulty but I have passed all the obstacles in my game even though I wasn't able to play through the last few levels of MoneySeize so it should be a bit more doable than MoneySeize.

It's not obvious from the game but I used FlashPunk which is quite awesome for something developed primarily by one guy.

Also many thanks to Postpre who provided the awesome music.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 07:13:41 AM »

It's an interesting gameplay mechanic, but I found a serious bug when I accidentally clicked outside of frame. The character would keep running in on direction after falling to his death in a loop after this happened.

I was able to break the loop in level 4 but I can't in level 5 if it happens at the beginning of the level. He just keeps falling and popping, and it's very easy to reproduce the bug.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Nebjezus
Level 0

Freelancer Programmer. Avid Coffee Drinker.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 03:56:14 AM »

I thought it was great! I like that you've taken inspiration from Super Meat Boy, and the controls definitely feel as tight as they did in that game which is good.

The one thing I would say against it however is the difficulty. I know that the game is meant to be difficult, and that is perfectly fine, however you need to make sure that the difficulty is built up. Take a closer look at Super Meat Boy and you'll see it did the same thing.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic