Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411711 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 06:53:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingIt's Nothing Personal - 1 on 1 Platformer
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: It's Nothing Personal - 1 on 1 Platformer  (Read 2256 times)
LevelUpJordan
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2013, 06:34:38 AM »

UPDATE ROUGHLY 10 COMMENTS DOWN!!!

So I've been making game prototypes recently and one of them really stuck with me, this one specifically http://www.scirra.com/arcade/action/6258/its-nothing-personal

I've now expanded on it a bit and thought I'd ask you guys to take a look. Unfortunately it's a download, I hope that's okay!  Anyway I'd love feedback on:
  • The gameplay in general
  • The performance (FPS and stuff)
  • The balance of the power-ups
  • If you can check this, does it work with controllers

I hope to add more maps and a single player (if I can figure out how you make that work)
Thanks,
Jordan
PC : https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2bx9midxbb7rjl/Game_Windows.zip
Mac : https://www.dropbox.com/s/86nss4elydpub8a/Game_Mac.zip
Linux : https://www.dropbox.com/s/qg5nexzk5jx71ty/Game_Linux.zip
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 02:48:41 AM by LevelUpJordan » Logged
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 06:37:29 AM »

I don't see a download.

Seems similar to Super Mario War without the IP infringing Smiley

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
LevelUpJordan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 06:40:31 AM »

Forgot the link, included now.  Never heard of that game, I thought I had a fairly new idea Cry
I'll check it out now, thanks! Smiley
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 09:43:32 AM by LevelUpJordan » Logged
ohaiguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 02:05:31 PM »

Alright, so from what I can see, performance is a tad on the slow side but not to the point where it's unplayable. Power ups seem fine though. Balance wise, I can't say for sure since I played the game on my own for now...gotta find some friends  Beg But, from what I was doing on my own, I'd say everything seems fine.

Otherwise, I think you might want to check on your art assets for the count down . It looks like they're non-vector and you blew them up pretty big (I can see the pixelation.) Might need to redo them.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:19:06 PM by ohaiguy » Logged

https://soundcloud.com/ohaiguy
[email protected]
Music Composer! Feel free to contact me Smiley
LevelUpJordan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 03:02:28 PM »

Thansk for taking a look! Yeah, the countdown is placeholder.  Could I ask what format you played on?
ohaiguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 03:09:52 PM »

Thansk for taking a look! Yeah, the countdown is placeholder.  Could I ask what format you played on?

Played on windows if that's what you're asking.

https://soundcloud.com/ohaiguy
[email protected]
Music Composer! Feel free to contact me Smiley
lekochen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 06:07:20 AM »

I played it on PC and used keyboards. The performance is OK. For the balance, since it is a dual game, I feel the characters can move and jump faster to make player feel more engaging. And maybe you can add more ability to the characters. Check the game "Dive Kick".
LevelUpJordan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »

Thanks! Every time I talk about the game I describe it as DiveKick but a platformer (and probably not as good) so I'm glad you made that connection.  I tried to keep the speed manageable but potentially hectic with the right powerups but that is easily tweaked if it feels to slow.  

As for more moves I have attempted to make it fairly simple but I threw the extra modes in to try and make up for the lack of abilities but I can definitely see your point.  The other issue is I like local PC games that make you share a keyboard so I did'nt want to use loads of buttons.  I'll definitely use your input to experiment though!

Thanks for everyone's thoughts, I really appreciate the feedback and hope to get even more :D
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 09:15:19 AM »

It ran fine here, on a mac. Didn't have someone to play with so I can't really comment on the gameplay.
My first impression though was that there really wasn't much to it, feels like its way too basic. Unless I'm missing something, you're just supposed to jump on each other, right?

LevelUpJordan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 12:10:06 PM »

Yeah, that's it basically.  I tried to keep it simple because it's my first game and also by design, I wanted it to have an instantly recognisable mechanic that anyone could pick up and play.  As you're not the only person who has said this I'll definitely look into it!  Thanks
Luciano
Level 0

Just Think

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 06:15:28 PM »

i'm going to take a look Noir

An Argentinian Indie Developer, yeah, messi, francisco the pope and derivates.<br /><br />@vodkasec for my bizarre version.
LevelUpJordan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 10:20:40 PM »

i'm going to take a look Noir

Thankyou! I should be posting a new version with a singleplayer in an hour or so, it is my first attempt at AI so is probably pretty basic but if you'd like to wait that'd be awesome!
LevelUpJordan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 02:47:39 AM »

So here's the new version. As always thoughts/queries/criticism/praise (who am I kidding) appreciated!
Mac: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6m2ekd2ggdp7qcm/Mac_v0.25.zip
PC: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbrwl8rl2khv6d7/Windows_v0.25.zip
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 03:05:21 PM by LevelUpJordan » Logged
Luciano
Level 0

Just Think

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 04:01:43 PM »

Hey! i just try your game!!

Is well developed. The sprites are really cool! you made it ?  Gentleman

The performance probably could be better but is a problem of construct, not yours Tongue

I would like to see guns! hehe,

The games is really fine Hand Joystick, an animation for the timer and some little fixes, but is really funny!!

An Argentinian Indie Developer, yeah, messi, francisco the pope and derivates.<br /><br />@vodkasec for my bizarre version.
LevelUpJordan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 01:50:35 AM »

Thank you! Sadly I did not make the sprites. Could I ask whether you were on PC or Mac, also what little fixes do you think it needs?
Thanks again for your time!
Luciano
Level 0

Just Think

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 02:10:04 AM »

No ! thanks to you for show your game to the community!

about the little fixes, i saw a little problem with the collisions of the players, not working always and that change the behavior of the game , i jump in the head of my enemy Hand Any Key Hand Any Key but she has the same life almost all the time. It's a little collision problem, probably with a little block object for the collision it could be fixed. But the game is lovely!  Wizard

LevelUpJordan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 02:11:53 AM »

Interesting, I'll look into it when I get home from real work.
Thanks again for your input Smiley
Luciano
Level 0

Just Think

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 02:15:47 AM »

and i play it on PC , Windows 32 bits exactly, in chrome last build. Cool Men, i really like your game  Smiley

LevelUpJordan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 03:36:31 AM »

Awesome, thanks a bunch! Gives me some confidence as I trufge towards the finish line. No ideas how to sell it (or give it out for free which is my plan) but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it Smiley
Luciano
Level 0

Just Think

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 04:49:32 AM »

keep doing stuff! your idea is absolutly well oriented! probably you should talk with the guys of the humble indie bundle, or Desura o Indie Gogo

If you want to be in a bundle for free * good advice, your game can had more fans} you can talk with the owner of The Free Indie Bundle, right now i cant remember his name , but his from mexico ,so his name is spanish/style.

Thanks for you time and keep that confidence! Your game is cool!! Beer!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic