Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411711 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 07:29:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPater et Filius
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pater et Filius  (Read 800 times)
tmthesaurus
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2013, 11:07:29 PM »

GAMEPAD REQUIRED

Download link

Pater et Filius is a game about abuse.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:15:34 PM by tmthesaurus » Logged
tmthesaurus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 11:07:41 PM »

Question to anyone who has played this: did I successfully convey the game's themes?

Question to anyone who has not played this: why? What could I have done to convince you to play? I wanted to receive feedback from people who haven't been tainted by my explanations; was it foolish of me to think that people would play without me providing details?
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 01:58:59 AM »

First act. I liked the fear and uncertainty that comes from the color scheme allowing the abuser to hide. Not sure I like how the abuser is always abusive, you're always running. Never a time when the abuser is present but not currently hostile, when you're afraid of setting it off. Feels a bit reductive, playing into myths about abuse?

Second act didn't completely work for me. Rushed through it the first time, so I didn't realize there wasn't even an abuser there. Like, I acted as if it were still there, which I think is what you wanted to evoke, but I didn't get that sense of realization that lingering fear affected my actions until a second play.

Third act: I liked the moment of discovery that you use the second stick to control the abuser (or the fear that the player character will grow into an abuser?). Realization that it could be easy to slip into this alternate control scheme that isn't that different from the original one. Difficulty was high, didn't feel too motivated to role play an abuser. Took a while to figure out where you hid the quit game button once the game looped.

These things alone don't necessarily help a game get played: gamepad requirement, non-representative screenshot, heavy theme without clear, outward assurances that you're treating it with respect. (Although if you didn't get any feedback here, you'd still be in good company!)

As an aside, the gamepad requirement might not be totally necessary if you use sound/screenshake to replace rumble, although the use of the second stick to denote a altered player character might be harder to simulate. Maybe ask the player to use WASD or arrows at the start, keep to one, then switch to the other in the third act? Or maybe use arrows and mouse as the two control schemes?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic