Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411711 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 06:08:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSmoke and Mirrors
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Smoke and Mirrors  (Read 827 times)
Trane
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2013, 01:45:16 PM »

This game, tentatively titled Smoke and Mirrors, is a 3D puzzle platformer where the player uses mirrors to solve puzzles. The "Mirrors" in the game only reflect certain objects, and under the right circumstances, those objects can affect the real world.

Smoke and Mirrors

-Move with WASD
-Interact with the left and right mouse buttons
-Hold R: restart current level
-Hold K: go back to previous level
-Hold L: skip to next level

There are 25 levels in this build. Once you beat Level 25, you'll just get warped back to the beginning of the room.

That's hopefully all that needs to be said at the outset. I've tried to make the game explain itself (although, if anything is unclear, I'd definitely like to have feedback on that).

Here's the sorts of things I'd like feedback on:

- Is it clear how mirrors work in this game, and which objects have reflections?
- Is it clear what abilities the player has, and how they affect the world?
- Were there any rooms in particular you found challenging, clever, or fun?
- Do you have any ideas for how the mirror-based mechanics could be expanded, or built upon?
- Did you finish all 25 rooms? If not, did you get stuck? Or just bored?

The textures and sounds are all placeholders at this point, but if you have an opinion on them, you can let me know. Thanks in advance!
desdinova
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 10:26:18 PM »

Didn't get much of a chance to play but I like the idea

- Is it clear how mirrors work in this game, and which objects have reflections?
I found the use of mirror's to be clear although sometimes they felt unnecessary (like puzzle six where you can just place the two boxes on the crosses and ignore the mirror - this puzzle would have been best as the first introductory white-box puzzle instead of puzzle five)

In puzlle 8 you can cheat by standing where the 2x box spawns and then turn on the fire for the mirror and then you can just jump up through the boxes - perhaps when the box spawn the player actor should be pushed out of the way so that they can't use clipping bugs

I think that the puzzles give the player enough flexibility to be able to explore the abilities.  Wheneber I got stuck I just had to explore the room a little
- Do you have any ideas for how the mirror-based mechanics could be expanded, or built upon?
stopped playing at puzzle 10 - feel sick gonna sleep
nebuch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 03:38:24 AM »

yes. concept is clear.
yes its clear.
+16 rooms are challenging
illuminate darkness with some light angles.
I'm about stuck and realize i'm bored. I need a background.
Trane
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 01:00:45 PM »

In puzlle 8 you can cheat by standing where the 2x box spawns and then turn on the fire for the mirror and then you can just jump up through the boxes - perhaps when the box spawn the player actor should be pushed out of the way so that they can't use clipping bugs[/color]

Good catch.

I think that the puzzles give the player enough flexibility to be able to explore the abilities.  Wheneber I got stuck I just had to explore the room a little

That's good to hear.

stopped playing at puzzle 10 - feel sick gonna sleep

Aw! Feel better. Thanks for playing!

+16 rooms are challenging
I'm about stuck and realize i'm bored. I need a background.

Thanks for the feedback. So you stopped after level 16?

What do you mean when you say you "need a background"?
joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 02:48:04 PM »

First of all, great original mechanic Trane!  I haven't much similar apart from perhaps Portal.

>> Yes very clear

>> Yup, the signs were more than adequate

>> The first level or 2 were pretty cool - I thought that the whole idea was pretty novel and original at that point.  See my final answer for other thoughts.

>> I think what you have now is pretty good, but you need to wrap another game mechanic around it to give the player some sense of urgency and progression

>> I got bored by level 8 for a few reasons:
- The puzzles were far too easy and ramped up too slowly
- There was no pressure to carry on (no time limit or danger)
- The environments became too bland

My recommendation as above is to make the game more exciting.  For example if you're going with your funhouse setting, have a back story that you've been teleported into an actual haunted house in a demented carnival or something similar.  You are being pursued, so not only do you have to hide from creatures, you have to use your wits to solve puzzles to progress.  You could even use the mirrors to kill creatures and defuse traps.

I guess this also depends on your target demographic.  If it's hardcore gamers like myself you'd have to make the game ramp up much faster, if it's casuals, then it's probably ok the way it is.

As another suggestion, you could time each round behind the scenes, and if a player completes rounds very quickly, you could jump levels for the player.

Cheers,
Joe

Trane
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 08:43:36 PM »

>> I got bored by level 8 for a few reasons:
- The puzzles were far too easy and ramped up too slowly
- There was no pressure to carry on (no time limit or danger)
- The environments became too bland

My recommendation as above is to make the game more exciting.  For example if you're going with your funhouse setting, have a back story that you've been teleported into an actual haunted house in a demented carnival or something similar.  You are being pursued, so not only do you have to hide from creatures, you have to use your wits to solve puzzles to progress.  You could even use the mirrors to kill creatures and defuse traps.

Good feedback, thanks.

I like that you picked up on the "funhouse" idea. I tried to get that across with the low-budget environment design. The idea of being trapped in a funhouse certainly lends itself to horror, but adding creatures - along with the modeling, animations and AI they'd require - would increase this project's scope considerably. It's not a bad idea, it's probably just more than I have time for.

I am taking to heart your suggestion about the need for some kind of tension or danger, though. I'll try and think up some ways that could be integrated into the game without increasing the project's scope too much. Traps are certainly a possibility, and a game based around mirrors certainly lends itself to having dangerous lasers (although lasers aren't a common sight in funhouses...).

You've definitely given me something to think about. Thanks for playing!
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 03:07:09 AM »

It's a bit boring, there was no puzzle challenge and I gave up where you need to right click on the mirror behind to generate the cube stairs... was not worth the effort :/

Master of all trades.
braddev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 10:02:16 AM »

Yes it was intuitive.  I really like the "tutorial" poster as you enter the level.  I also really like the wood creaking sound effects...it makes it spooky but its awesome.

I had a little problem with the mouse at first, but it fixed itself when I entered the 2nd level...I'm not sure if its to do with Unity or the game, but my mouse wasn't attached the the center dot.  Maybe my mouse is too sensitive?  Or because I don't have enhanced pointer precision on?  (The game still worked, it just was a little hard to click the box before it normalized)

Keep it up!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic