Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411572 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 11:49:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsTIGJAM UK 4 - 4-7 February, Cambridge [ SOLD OUT ]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: TIGJAM UK 4 - 4-7 February, Cambridge [ SOLD OUT ]  (Read 77839 times)
Wyzfen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2011, 05:59:32 AM »

I think that the train station car park is free (but I'm not sure, I don't have a car, though I've haven't seen any parking meter when I'm crossing it), and it's around 10min walk to CB2.

It's not free, although it is cheap.
Reduced daily parking after 1600 (Monday to Friday) £2.10
Saturday all day £3.60
Sunday all day £1.00
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2011, 05:43:26 PM »

Reminder: if you want hostel accommodation please post in this thread soon. Smiley

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2011, 03:04:07 AM »

I'm a bit lost about the travel to get to Cambridge starting in Paris. If I understood well I have to :

1. Take the EuroStar from Paris to London.
 2. Take a train from London to Cambridge or something.

Is it correct?

Sorry I'm not use to setup travels myself, I'm totally lost with travel websites O__o

bento_smile
« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2011, 03:41:59 AM »

I'm a bit lost about the travel to get to Cambridge starting in Paris. If I understood well I have to :

Is it correct?

Sorry I'm not use to setup travels myself, I'm totally lost with travel websites O__o

Yup, that's it. Smiley Fortunately, the Eurostar stops at St Pancras now, which is right next to Kings Cross, where you can get a train to Cambridge. :D So you don't have to mess around in London or anything!
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2011, 03:46:11 AM »

In fact it's so close to King's Cross that they're often considered the same station! Smiley

Anthony Hart-Jones
Level 0

AAA escapee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2011, 03:51:16 AM »

The station car-park is £4.60 off-peak (1 in the afternoon had better be off-peak) and £2.10 if you leave it a few hours.  I get the feeling I'd miss a lot of the fun if I turned up late, or I might be tempted to wait until 4...

Just based on what I can find:
  • It looks like £13.80 for the four days (£11.30 if you turn up after 4 on Friday) at the station car park, but at least it is a 24-hr car-park.
  • Park and ride works out a little cheaper, but the car-parks shut at 8 (6 on Sunday) and that's a bit early.
  • Parking on random residential streets is free, but a little bit of a walk when you need to get back to your car.  Also, do you really want to wander dark back-streets at night with a laptop?
  • Bus fares depend on where you are going to and coming from, but most seem to continue running until late.
  • Car-pooling might reduce the costs per person.

Working on Noir Past Mistakes Noir and looking for an artist
increpare
« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2011, 04:36:26 AM »

• Parking on random residential streets is free, but a little bit of a walk when you need to get back to your car.  Also, do you really want to wander dark back-streets at night with a laptop?
Cambridge's pretty safe.  (Though, context: I was living in Dundee before moving here).
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2011, 05:26:05 AM »

Is it correct?

Yup, that's it. Smiley Fortunately, the Eurostar stops at St Pancras now, which is right next to Kings Cross, where you can get a train to Cambridge. :D So you don't have to mess around in London or anything!

Someone told me the same on twitter but I don't see those stations on eurostar.fr :/

bento_smile
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2011, 05:54:38 AM »

It's there :3 look for London St Pancras International :D
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2011, 08:43:46 AM »

Ok so it's London!  Facepalm

bluescrn
Level 1

Unemployed Coder / Full-time Indie :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2011, 12:12:33 PM »

Would like to come along and meet the Cambridge Indies, and make up for missing the last Ludum Dare compo due to illness....

I could manage that weekend, but not too sure what I'd do about transport/accomodation...  Leamington -> Cambridge by train is a right pain (slow, via London, expensive...)

Is there usually a lot of drinking involved? Or do most of you stay sober and focused on the game dev? - trying to decide if bringing the car would be viable...

(Also, at 33, would I feel a bit out of place as the only 'old bloke', or are there usually a good few 'older people' showing up?)

edit: 'Ticket Get!' (only 8 left) - got to get there somehow now Smiley
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 12:36:00 PM by bluescrn » Logged

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2011, 12:25:14 PM »

Last question : should I take a ticket now for the travel between london and cambridge or should I take a ticket once in london? If former, where should I take a ticket online?

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2011, 12:27:46 PM »

Last question : should I take a ticket now for the travel between london and cambridge or should I take a ticket once in london? If former, where should I take a ticket online?

www.nationalrail.co.uk or www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk - the second is the company who runs the line, think you can book on both.

bento_smile
« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2011, 12:33:06 PM »

Btw, it doesn't seem to save you any money booking online at this point Smiley so it doesn't make much difference if you leave it and buy at the station.  Grin

Edit: Oh yeah, are you coming Jasper? :3 (Get a ticket, buy a ticket! Ticket ticket ticket...)
Anthony Hart-Jones
Level 0

AAA escapee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2011, 12:51:16 PM »

Is there usually a lot of drinking involved?
Does coffee count?  I've seen drunk code, it's not pretty.  Code after drinking most of a jug of coffee, much more viable...

(Also, at 33, would I feel a bit out of place as the only 'old bloke', or are there usually a good few 'older people' showing up?)
I'm thirty and never considered I might be old.  I kind of assumed that most people coming would be late-twenties or older.  Old enough to have decided what they want from life, old enough to have the confidence needed to take a few chances and yet young enough that they can still make a go of it before their pension kicks in.

Working on Noir Past Mistakes Noir and looking for an artist
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2011, 12:57:27 PM »

I asked increpare to hold one for me. Hopefully he's remembered?  Well, hello there!

Ouch, I'm the grandad of the bunch by an inch.  I better bring a warm blanket and a flask of cocoa just in case!

bluescrn
Level 1

Unemployed Coder / Full-time Indie :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2011, 01:22:34 PM »

I'm thirty and never considered I might be old.  I kind of assumed that most people coming would be late-twenties or older.  Old enough to have decided what they want from life, old enough to have the confidence needed to take a few chances and yet young enough that they can still make a go of it before their pension kicks in.

Really, I just wasn't too sure whether those attending the Jams were mostly the 'professional indies', likely to be in their late-20s or 30s, or mostly the student-age/younger-hobbyist developers? Or just a happy mix of all ages?  I just don't want to show up and be the oldest there by 10 years Smiley

I've been doing the Ludum Dare compos on-and-off since the very first one, and really, I've never stopped and wondered how old everyone else involved is, as it's purely online, you're not talking about meeting people face-to-face...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 01:32:42 PM by bluescrn » Logged

increpare
« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2011, 01:56:05 PM »

Is there usually a lot of drinking involved? Or do most of you stay sober and focused on the game dev? - trying to decide if bringing the car would be viable...
Not much drinking.  Drinks can be ordered at the cafe, if desired.  I think people do occasionally order beers in the evenings, so you will want to avoid bringing the car if you think you'll partake.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 07, 2011, 01:59:34 PM »

What does the magenta pixel represent, increpare?

Wyzfen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 07, 2011, 02:59:22 PM »

I just don't want to show up and be the oldest there by 10 years Smiley
I'm 34, so you wont be the oldest there Wink
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic