Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411552 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: spitcards

May 03, 2024, 08:54:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs"War Party" (now with damn PLAYABLE DEMO)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: "War Party" (now with damn PLAYABLE DEMO)  (Read 5706 times)
ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 10:14:55 AM »

And then this half-step happened  WTF

srsly? i've personally not encountered that one Sad do you have any info on the circumstances in which it happened?

Dragged the unit and clicked again while it was still moving. Nevermind how I got there, what you should do is to fix the position values after ever such animation. I have a similar implementation somewhere and I think I had two positions on the entity: position which is to be the target and an offset (new_pos - old_pos) that I use for the smooth transition. of course tweening with a onComplete function that set the position again is just as fine.

I guess you might have a talent for finding weird shit. I should remember your name.

Please do, I also got a devlog *hint*

shift mode: Brilliant! I'm thinking about something similar for the colourblind players.

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 10:17:41 AM »

Do you collect any data from the players? I've used GameAnalytics in my last game and the results are quite interesting for future decisions.
No, i dont intend to do any data collecting. But i've run simple AI against "dumb" players confirming every move about 600 games overnight so i could guage the difficulty of it. I'm happy enough with the results.

Still, there are things that should interest you: How long do they play, is the game getting more addictive with the last release, how long until the start their first move, finish a round, how often do they go back to the menu and click the help button, do they click the button to my homepage (very important!) and so on.

harry)))
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 10:20:10 AM »

And then this half-step happened  WTF

srsly? i've personally not encountered that one Sad do you have any info on the circumstances in which it happened?

Dragged the unit and clicked again while it was still moving. Nevermind how I got there, what you should do is to fix the position values after ever such animation. I have a similar implementation somewhere and I think I had two positions on the entity: position which is to be the target and an offset (new_pos - old_pos) that I use for the smooth transition. of course tweening with a onComplete function that set the position again is just as fine.

Thankyou sir, this information is quite helpful. I will fix it in a different way to what you've said here - i'll just make clicking on men not function at all if any of them are moving.

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 10:26:31 AM »

Thankyou sir, this information is quite helpful. I will fix it in a different way to what you've said here - i'll just make clicking on men not function at all if any of them are moving.

That's not the proper solution and you know it. An AI ticking too fast could cause the same error. The error can cascade into the super-accurate collision detection as the image shows, all things you can avoid setting the position properly and maybe even round it every now and then.

harry)))
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 10:32:15 AM »

I appreciate the feedback, the problem's fixed.

bbolton
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 10:42:58 AM »

I really like the incremental planning this requires, because of the movement limitations. Having to think a few moves ahead while still reacting to unpredictable spawns is a good brain tickle.
sunnder
Level 0

Scorch Arena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 11:30:33 AM »

I just played the demo and it's pretty fun! Definitely works well as a mobile game, probably wouldn't play it on my desktop unless it was expanded to have a bigger board and be more than just RPS, e.g., RPG mechanics.

One complaint is that I had a hard time figuring out which units were mine and which ones weren't, even with the different colored armor and the forward-backward facing of the sprites. Something more distinguishing would be welcome.

Nice job!

"In any case you mustn't confuse a single failure with a final defeat." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
harry)))
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 11:48:07 AM »

I just played the demo and it's pretty fun! Definitely works well as a mobile game, probably wouldn't play it on my desktop unless it was expanded to have a bigger board and be more than just RPS, e.g., RPG mechanics.
Yeah, the full thing will have a "roaming" kind of mode where you go about visiting settlements in a world or whatever and exchanging points for things or whatever. The amount of men or money or whatever you have would be all persistent. I'm glad to hear it's fun!

One complaint is that I had a hard time figuring out which units were mine and which ones weren't, even with the different colored armor and the forward-backward facing of the sprites. Something more distinguishing would be welcome.

Yeah, try hitting SHIFT and you will see a work in progress method of addressing that problem Smiley

OnionBlaze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2013, 05:05:43 PM »

Tried the demo. Here's some.. stuff:

- Marching sound still plays even when none of the enemy's units moved
- Maybe make the unit sprites translucent in the Shift mode thing and just show their unit type? I think that'll look pretty cool.
- Have you tried showing the grid and using different colors to tell whatever's in that tile? That can be an alternative for the current Shift mode thing.
- Allow cancelling unit switching
- The player's units' sprites should move too. Also, show the player's units' type too in the Shift mode thing.
- Is the catapult supposed to just hit 4 tiles? Sometimes, it hits 5 tiles:

Really nice game so far! Will there be more unit types in the future?

Blambo
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2013, 05:44:02 PM »

To not be helpful or constructive at all, I'd like to remark that the progress bar went up fucking FAST. Nice job!
harry)))
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2013, 05:25:12 AM »

Tried the demo. Here's some.. stuff:

- Marching sound still plays even when none of the enemy's units moved

I noticed that one too, fixed, but not really worth an update just yet Smiley

- Maybe make the unit sprites translucent in the Shift mode thing and just show their unit type? I think that'll look pretty cool.
I'll see how it looks and maybe include it as a "third" option.

- Have you tried showing the grid and using different colors to tell whatever's in that tile? That can be an alternative for the current Shift mode thing.
I've tried messing with it a bit but it looked quite messy to me.

- Allow cancelling unit switching
i'm not totally sure if I agree with this. I've heard 2 people suggest it so far and one of them later changed his mind because it encouraged a more chess-like amount of thought before moves. Maybe i'll make it a difficulty option or something, as it is in many chess games.

- The player's units' sprites should move too. Also, show the player's units' type too in the Shift mode thing.
Yup, those things are in progress Smiley

- Is the catapult supposed to just hit 4 tiles? Sometimes, it hits 5 tiles:
Right now you can drag it around and tapping/clicking it confirms the attack. It's half-implemented and I don't recommend using it for any purpose other than The Luls.
It's a known problem, thanks tho.

Really nice game so far! Will there be more unit types in the future?
POSSibly. There are a few ideas floating around for it but as it is i like how simple the rules are. If there are other unit types they'll probably be something like special units you only see once or twice in a game, like an officer or some kind of obstacle. Just last night i was considering allowing the player to drive stakes into the ground which are static and kill whatever runs over them (also removing the stakes)

thx for the feedback!

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2013, 07:32:21 AM »

The game looks astonishingly beautiful and the gameplay is very promising, congrats.

harry)))
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2013, 04:02:19 AM »

Lots of crappy dialogue to work on.

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2013, 04:05:40 AM »

what's with the high visibility you have with the icons? A clear cut font is an option you need to have.

harry)))
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2013, 04:07:57 AM »

what's with the high visibility you have with the icons?
I'm not sure what you mean

A clear cut font is an option you need to have.
Thx for the suggestion, if i find time to make one i will do it.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2013, 03:28:57 PM »

How is this doing? I'm looking forward to it!

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 01:24:16 PM »

How goes this game?

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic