Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 08:20:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDevLog Icons!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: DevLog Icons!  (Read 243972 times)
increpare
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2011, 09:42:31 PM »

I find the grey text in the current ones difficult to read.  I personally would rather the text be kept readable (at all percentages).
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2011, 12:25:23 AM »

That's how I'd do it, proper design in contrast. Preview:

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2011, 12:49:23 AM »

No offense, but I hate them without the dark background and I also disapprove of how they go from white to darker, when I think it should be from dark to lighter as it gets higher.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2011, 02:15:22 AM »

Not having the background does look like an improvement, but I don't like the idea of the bar/numbers getting lighter or darker. I'd prefer it to simply have a slight hue shift. I'd also replace Done! with 100%

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2011, 04:41:00 AM »

I don't know about taking out the Done!...
Without it, it just doesn't seem complete. In this context, 100% seems anticlimactic.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2011, 06:29:13 AM »

Everyone else is having a go so I thought I'd join in. I've done three options for 100%, but I think the flashing one could get annoying. Having said that how many project see it all the way to 100%?

And the preview:

Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2011, 06:38:12 AM »

I dunno, the bars lost that subtle little highlight on them that was working really nice after you edited them. I'm not sure if this last iteration is an improvement...

I think the highlight is too distracting and the contrast is too high near the center but hardly there on the lower or higher bars. Also the point of my edit was just to make earlier bars visible and yet Core Xii's edit has reverted back to the 10% bar being almost invisible grrah. Screamy

I dislike the above red-green, maybe because the gradient isn't smooth enough Shrug?

Edit: changed the gradient slightly (with emphasis on the green as an 80% complete game should be playable and be a decent game, last 20% is mostly content and little additional features etc, right?), and did a single colour version:

edit: grah, graphicsgale handles transparency stupidly, when your editing transparency isn't even apparent until you see the final image. You'll just have to live with the transparent sections.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 07:16:28 AM by robolee » Logged
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2011, 11:02:35 AM »

These ones are too fruity. I prefer the monochromatic ones Sad I feel like we reached the zenith with:

I added some shiny stuff. Too much?

This. Hand Clap

...and after that we had too many cooks in the kitchen :/ But I guess Derek will have the final word.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2011, 11:38:24 AM »

That does something strange to my eyes where it makes the leftmost point seem brighter than the white background.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2011, 02:24:08 PM »

Quote from: Arachne's edit of Phubans's version

As far as the bars go, this is my favorite so far. I think something different should be done with the final icon, but everything else looks great... and, honestly, I think things have gone downhill from there; I don't really like anything else that's been posted since then.

All that said, however, I also really like the salmon ones that are already up.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2011, 02:29:12 PM »

That does something strange to my eyes where it makes the leftmost point seem brighter than the white background.
Lol, same - magic?

Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2011, 06:40:22 PM »

Had another try:

"Done" needs to be edited (haven't changed it since last time, someone else can have a go at that, heh), the bars 3d effect is in opposition to the "done" 3d effect, so it's kind of weird.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2011, 08:24:51 PM »

Quote from: Arachne's edit of Phubans's version

As far as the bars go, this is my favorite so far. I think something different should be done with the final icon, but everything else looks great... and, honestly, I think things have gone downhill from there; I don't really like anything else that's been posted since then.

100% concurrence. The bars without backgrounds look shitty and feel like they're just floating around. But what do I know? I just get paid to design UI elements for a living  Shrug

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2011, 08:33:34 AM »

i liked the first version of these, the current version sucks

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2011, 10:39:19 AM »

Had another try:

"Done" needs to be edited (haven't changed it since last time, someone else can have a go at that, heh), the bars 3d effect is in opposition to the "done" 3d effect, so it's kind of weird.
I really like this version, it looks (to me) a lot better than the more blocky ones. However I really don't like the "done" one, it looks like it should have a similar, or the same font as the others, and shouldn't really have that blue border.

EDIT:
Looking at the current ones however (the pink ones) I think they're really nice!
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2011, 10:44:59 AM »

Personally, I'd say even just taking the current set and making them blue would be a nice change. The salmon color confuses my eyes.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2011, 02:40:27 PM »

I think it's pretty. ^_^
The blue ones are good, too, though.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2011, 12:53:39 PM »

Well whatever, you bring up a good point about the contrast being too low, but it looks fine on my monitor (keep in mind monitor brightness varies)... I just think it looks like shit without the background. Either add a background to yours or up the contrast on mine. It just seems like you're trying to re-invent the wheel for the sake of having ownership and not really concerned with actually improving the design, just making it different.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2011, 11:40:51 PM »

I prefer having the background.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2011, 04:58:39 PM »

But what do I know? I just get paid to design UI elements for a living  Shrug