Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 12:52:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 71
Print
Author Topic: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED  (Read 237108 times)
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #760 on: July 13, 2016, 03:54:01 AM »

I've just recently returned from vacation, and production on Alpha 10 will begin soon! So much to do--should fit in a blog post here as well...

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #761 on: July 16, 2016, 04:15:36 PM »

Currently working on implementing the "lore collection UI," where players can see how much lore remains undiscovered, and also review the details of what lore has been discovered. "Lore" here refers to both terminal entries and most NPC dialogue. This will offer another way to figure out the plot without actually remembering everything discovered in various locations, and also maybe catch up on some tips/secrets that were missed at first.

A mockup:

So far it doesn't look like much--still haven't decided what to do with the large amount of black/unused space there, but I've got some ideas to try out...

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 17, 2016, 03:46:59 AM »

Oooh, this is actually a much stronger incentive for me to replay than anything else. Somehow I'm a sucker for collecting lore.
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #763 on: July 17, 2016, 03:57:30 AM »

I think the industry has figured out that people love to collect things, yeah Tongue. You see stuff like this in so many games now, and the systems get increasingly elaborate (if sometimes meaningless).

Technically Cogmind already has one existing collection mechanism, the one for items in the art gallery. This newer one ties more closely into understanding the actual world/story, though, so I imagine it will get more attention. Lore me up!

Major_Minion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 17, 2016, 04:05:39 AM »

Oh, that does it, I'm getting Cogmind when I come home next week! I'm saying it again; your work is inspiring! Beer!
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #765 on: July 17, 2016, 04:18:20 AM »

Excellent and thank you Major SmileyToast Right

I could certainly use the support about now Giggle

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 17, 2016, 04:27:22 AM »

I think the industry has figured out that people love to collect things, yeah
Except this is more like how I like to uncover the whole puzzle; it's not quite the same as standard collectathons in games.
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #767 on: July 17, 2016, 04:31:37 AM »

Oh yeah, I know what you mean, was just pointing that out on a tangent. This is definitely different from that, more meaningful.

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #768 on: July 18, 2016, 04:08:23 PM »

I've always wanted to go to an IRDC (International Roguelike Developers Conference), but they've always been in Europe, not easy for me to reach from way out here in East Asia. More recently IRDC has also made its way into the US, but always out on the East Coast, so still not quite within my means.

Then I noticed a number of other developers signing on to this "Roguelike Celebration" event being hosted by genre enthusiasts Noah, Britta, and Asheesh in San Francisco for a day of activities aimed at both players and developers. My brother happens to live right down the road from the venue, only about 10 hours by plane from me, and I figured this is the best opportunity I could hope for short of hosting an event myself, so San Francisco it is! :D

I'll not only get to meet some Cogmind players who I already know will be there (maybe you, too?), but also a number of other developers, several of which I've known only online for some time now.

And I'm not just going as a spectator--I'll be giving a talk alongside a great cast of other speakers, including devs from Dwarf Fortress, DCSS, Brogue, Caves of Qud, and... the original Rogue Tongue

You can see the complete list of speakers and topics here.

I haven't prepared my own talk yet, but I did settle on a topic, which is kind of a summary of the entirety of Cogmind development: "Taking Traditional Roguelikes Mainstream." So I'll be explaining a wide range of design elements across the interface, presentation, sound design, and more that work to broaden Cogmind's appeal beyond the core roguelike audience.

I hope you're interested, and I hope to see you there! If you can make it, I suggest getting a ticket as soon as possible, because the price will be reportedly be going up after this Wednesday (7/20). (The cost is just to cover event expenses.)

Come celebrate roguelikes with us! (And spread the word!)

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 19, 2016, 03:22:38 AM »

And I'm not just going as a spectator
Quite frankly, I would have been shocked if you were or if the conference organisers would let you.
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #770 on: July 19, 2016, 05:01:34 PM »

Haha, I would honestly kinda like to just hang out with everyone and not worry about giving a talk, though I have to do everything I can to maximize its value to me because it's so expensive and time-consuming to go from here. Good to have some representation out there and maybe tell some new people about Cogmind :D (even if it is a relatively small event). Kinda wish it would last 2-3 days!

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #771 on: July 20, 2016, 04:53:10 AM »

Before I got the lore reference UI working today Shocked

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 20, 2016, 08:40:01 AM »

Awesome! Hope to see you at the conference  Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 20, 2016, 09:13:28 AM »

OMG you're going to attend it as well? Are... are you gonna do any ASCII art collaborations when you meet IRL? Who, Me?
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #774 on: July 20, 2016, 03:52:55 PM »

Whoa, awesome! It's not that huge (at least I don't think...); I'm sure we'll have a chance to meet. So many people I know online going to be in one place meeting for the first time--pretty amazing Smiley (and reinforces the idea that this event really should span multiple days Tongue)

I'm already making a list of everyone I know who is going... now to add standardcombo!

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #775 on: July 21, 2016, 05:33:38 AM »

Finished!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 21, 2016, 07:43:01 AM »

... except for the content bit Tongue

(or are you avoiding spoilers)
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #777 on: July 21, 2016, 07:59:49 AM »

Cheesy of course it's to avoid spoilers.

In fact, all that there is actually read from the game's lore data, but in order to record it I had it replace all the text after the fact so I could show it around...

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #778 on: July 26, 2016, 04:42:16 PM »

Tutorials and Help: Easing Players into the Game
[Cross-posted from the devblog here--follow link for better formatting and light-on-dark style.]

With a generally lower barrier to add content compared to other games, roguelikes have a tendency to be packed with features and mechanics, and while that doesn't characterize every roguelike out there (notably 7DRLs and other quick hobby projects), there is an important need to help new players overcome the initial barriers to learning a new roguelike. At least if we want those new players to stick around long enough to learn what's so fun about it Smiley

Many roguelikes do borrow a portion of their paradigms from prior games in the genre, be they common keyboard commands or ASCII meanings, and that helps lessen the burden to some degree, but there will always be plenty more to learn. So the question is how do we teach it?

Traditionally roguelikes would come with an explanatory text file, and probably a '?' page/window in the game itself, but little to nothing else. Even today some roguelikes still leave it at that. But game design has evolved quite a lot since the early days of roguelikes, and players are familiar with (and often come to expect) many more help-oriented systems, so we're seeing an increasing number of roguelikes that incorporate them, especially after migrating away from terminal displays and grid-based, ASCII-only graphics.

Some players are more forgiving than others, and will slog through a slow and difficult learning process in the hope there is an interesting and fun game on the other side, but with easy access to a large and growing selection of games these days, player attention spans and willingness for punishment have declined significantly. To reach the most potential fans possible, new roguelikes need lower barriers to entry so that those who might enjoy the game--but not learning it--make it through that first stage.

That was my starting point for designing Cogmind's help-oriented features, and here I'll be discussing the most important ones.

Input
First off, the easiest way to help a player is to make it so they don't actually need help in the first place Tongue. Obviously that won't work for all cases, but as a principle should be applied anywhere feasible. This is most easily applied to input, making important actions easy, intuitive, and accessible based on what players expect: Click on self to open status window. / Click somewhere to move there. / Click on an enemy to aim (shows a targeting line), click again to fire. / Right-click on an object for more information. / Drag item from the inventory to equipment list to attach them. / Drag them from the HUD to the map to drop them... Notice the common theme here is that these all involve the mouse. Full mouse support is a must for accessibility. Players can transition to partial or full keyboard use with time, once they have a grasp of the new mechanics and other components to learn. Why force them to learn everything at once if they don't want to?

Drag-drop example.

For players who do eventually learn to use only the keyboard (or do it right off), which right now is 26% of Cogmind players, because the mechanics don't have much overlap with other roguelikes there isn't a whole lot of existing experience to invoke there. In fact, I can list them all here easily: '?' for help, numpad/hjkl/arrows for movement, 'f' for fire, and '.' for wait. That's it. The rest are unique, and there are a ton of them, but in most cases there is a pattern, or they start with the letter of what they represent, which aids the learning process.

To teach any commands that the player hasn't figured out on their own there are two separate '?' pages, one for beginners and one for experts. This is to avoid overwhelming new players with a page full of commands they won't need right away anyway (or at all if they're using just the mouse); instead the basic commands page provides the minimum amount of commands and information a mouse user needs to use and understand the entire interface. By comparison the advanced commands page is packed with every command in the game, including duplicates (some actions are possible via multiple different keys).

Basic commands.

Advanced commands.

Also notice that window-specific commands are displayed in their relative windows, and certain parts of the interface (for example the top-right HUD area) have descriptions explaining each piece of data.

But input is generally the lesser fraction of what a player has to learn. Mechanics are the bigger issue!

Mechanics
Some mechanics can and will be understood naturally through regular play, but even in these cases it's possible to speed up the learning process, not to mention the need to teach other mechanics and stats might be too opaque or unclear without additional explanation.

The old go-to in that case would be the manual. Cogmind includes a text manual that fully explains all mechanics and UI features, weighing in at 8,000 words. But to make it easier to reference and put it where players are most likely to need it, the manual can be opened within the game itself in an interactive form.

In-game manual example.

Manuals are good when players have a lot of free time and would just like to browse or even thoroughly read through the manual for information they might not already know, and if the topics are arranged sensibly they can also make it easy to seek out information on a given topic in order to answer a specific question. But honestly specific questions are best handled at the point where they're asked, and that means context help.

In Cogmind this is how the stats are handled, because the status page, robot info page, and item info page are all a combination of data and graphs, the meanings or implications of which won't always be obvious to the player, and making them search through the manual each time they need to learn something is a terrible and frustrating requirement. So simply clicking on any stat provides an explanation (or for non-mouse users, pressing Up/Down and hitting Enter on an entry).

Context help example.

In general the way to head off player uncertainty is to ensure that obtaining information is as intuitive, automatic, or direct as possible. Thus another way the UI works to help the player:

Automated map labels, which help players learn the ASCII (or the ASCII-like minimalist tiles) for objects, and even if they forget them, labels are still always available to speed up the recognition process!

Tutorial
The player's first contact with the interface and mechanics is of course extremely important, so many games these days start out with a tutorial (or at least make it optional and recommend it). I was originally loath to provide a tutorial at all, because I didn't want to include immersion-breaking elements (like there's no main/start menu), especially not right at the beginning. But from an audience-building perspective that would be a massive mistake.

So eventually I came up with an "immersive tutorial" that teaches the basics by introducing them step by step in a few short connected rooms. And these rooms are a plausible place for the game to start, so it doesn't feel out of place.

The tutorial map, basically an alternative version of the first floor of the game that leads normally into the rest of the game, is only shown three times for each player, the first three times they play. I decided to have it repeat more than once so a new player isn't suddenly thrown into a new and unfamiliar starting area the second time they play (this being a roguelike, the "second run" will probably come pretty quickly Tongue).

Also, it's a very short tutorial anyway, and the second and third time through it doesn't even include the tutorial messages, so it loses even that little bit of tutorial feel. "Tutorial messages" appear in the message log, hot pink and blinking and with a special beep, and still people sometimes miss them after the first few as they're eager to explore. Oh well.

While the better alternative, modal tutorial messages, are great for forcing players to pay attention, they're very intrusive and really ruin the immersion I'm trying to create, so I decided against that approach pretty quickly. (It's a bit of design conflict between accessibility and the theme, which honestly plays out in many more areas than just this one, and is really annoying Tongue)

Anyway, each tutorial message is only shown once, and most of the important ones are context-triggered, for example telling you to drag-drop an item you just picked up in order to equip it, and they work in tandem with the tutorial map based on how it's laid out.

A lot of thought went into the layout of the tutorial map which, unlike much of the rest of the procedurally generated world, is completely static. It's only four rooms total, and the idea is that the player encounters elements in a very specific order, without simultaneously seeing other elements that would distract them from what it is they're supposed to be learning at that time (despite how small the area is).

Tutorial map layout with explanation (click for full size).

In those four rooms the player learns pretty much everything they need to have a good time, which is the best way to start any roguelike :D. Sure there is plenty more to learn, but that can all come with time. Also, for comparison check out the regular non-tutorial start area:

Standard Cogmind starting area. There are only two rooms, where the player starts with more options for gear--all in the immediate vicinity--and then can head over to the next room and leave right away.

Independent of the tutorial map, later in the game as new elements are encountered, there are some tutorial messages to explain features that might be incredibly important but not necessarily obvious--for example bumping into machine control panels to interact with them. At various timed points there are also other more general non-context reminders, telling the player about the manual, or how to save and exit, etc.

Turn counts on which time-based tutorial messages are shown.

Meta
Sometimes players like to seek help outside the game, and that's where having a community comes in handy.

Letting individual groups of players spring up in their own forum threads wherever they may be is nice, and that will happen regardless, but it's still worth having dedicated forums these days, so I did that and love the community interaction it brings. When players ask questions in a public forum dedicated to a single game, the answer can in turn help anyone else who comes looking for similar help.

I set up /r/Cogmind for a similar purpose, but Reddit is a pretty terrible format for a long-term community that can benefit from preservation of information and more convenient search functionality, so it's more of a communication channel than a great source of help.

In either case, though, communities have advantage of providing a type of help that isn't usually provided by the game: strategies. This is something a manual won't cover, and while in Cogmind there are NPCs who give tips for survival, that can only cover a small portion of the potential useful advice... So player guides are another valuable form of third-party help Smiley

Many roguelikes of significant size and following also end up with a wiki. In my case rather than wait for someone to create one on some free site with ads and that we don't have as much control over, shortly after releasing I set one up on my site. It's almost entirely run by players.

Hopefully all these features (and who knows maybe more to come?) will be enough when Cogmind reaches the hands of even more players in the future! So far feedback is promising, with even those who've never before played a traditional roguelike saying it's easy to jump into Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 27, 2016, 12:44:20 AM »

As a professional interface designer I can only repeat what I've said before when looking at this:

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 71
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic