Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411633 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 05:07:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallAXRIA Retro World (Finished game!)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: AXRIA Retro World (Finished game!)  (Read 1361 times)
JamesLeonardo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2012, 03:15:55 AM »

~

After three months of development, here it is- my first finished game.
This is a tribute to the ol' Black & white Gameboy games in 8 BIT!
I think making it this way made it easier to complete- Made with Game editor.

~

Download here, please: http://axria.tumblr.com/post/20192055897/axria-retro-world-v1-0 (More Screens available there!)

~

JamesLeonardo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:35:41 AM »

Like this hasn't been over looked  Roll Eyes

Heres a family friendly trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUQ0yfX6b9wu9KhxwYbrJyeg&feature=player_detailpage&v=o5V9oIPEkRM

harkme
Level 1

Surprise!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 02:36:46 PM »

Downloading now. Why does having both fullscreen and windowed modes double the file size?
harkme
Level 1

Surprise!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 02:54:56 PM »

Okay, so I played through until 2-1. The wall jumping seemed a little jarring, though. I guess I didn't play enough, but wall jumping seemed to only serve the same purpose that a slightly higher initial jump would have served. It's a nice cute game. I loved the gameboy aesthetic.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 04:34:40 PM »

I got an error downloading it from the first mirror.  You might want to just put it on Mediafire.

Just tried it out.  I have a few issues with the game, mainly the physics just feel wierd.  There seems to be gravity sometimes and at other times not.  When enemies fall, they drop instantly at high speed and it just looks wierd.

The star attack is somewhat interesting but doesn't feel like it was implemented very well.  Did you get the idea from Gimmick! (NES game)?  It has a similar attack, although IMO it's implemented better in that game.

The enemies feel like more of a nuisance than anything else.  You don't get anything for killing them, so it feels like it's better to avoid them entirely.

You can collect those diamond looking things, but I'm not sure what the point is.  If they award extra lives after collecting 100 of them like in Mario, it's pretty pointless, since even if you get a Game Over, you restart right back at the last checkpoint anyway.

The lack of a level timer kind of reduces the pressure element other NES-era platformers had, since they had timers and if you spent too long goofing around, you'd lose.

I beat the first boss by throwing stars and bouncing them over the barrier, never once put myself in danger.  

It has potential to be something cool, but right now it needs some more work IMO.  Hopefully you can polish it up some more.
JamesLeonardo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 07:25:08 PM »

Haha, some Constructive Criticism! Excellent!

Why does having both fullscreen and windowed modes double the file size?
Due to the limitations of Game Editor, you can only publish in either full screen or window. The one with both basically combines the two but you select one or the other.

But looking back, it was kind of a bad idea, and I'll have it so you either download full or window. Not both.

Okay, so I played through until 2-1. The wall jumping seemed a little jarring, though.
Yeah, I guess it can't be too hard to smoothen it a little. In fact just to let you know I'm currently working on a sequel and fixing some of the things that were broken and overall making it smoother. Making the wall jump smoother will defiantly help, so thanks =)

I guess I didn't play enough, but wall jumping seemed to only serve the same purpose that a slightly higher initial jump would have served.

True, though if you had just the high jump alone, it would make things too easy (and uninteresting) to reach, so instead the wall jump rewards you for finding ways to make it there the average jump wouldn't make.

Example:

I intended the first worlds only had rewards to be reached with the wall jump, and the later levels have you only progress through certain wall jumping patterns. However playing again, It felt it was only the last stages where it was always vital, on the way being only a few wall jump necessary parts.

So that i'll have to keep in mind for the sequel!

It's a nice cute game. I loved the gameboy aesthetic.
Heh heh, I felt that was the part i did best Grin

I got an error downloading it from the first mirror.  You might want to just put it on Mediafire.
I'll look into this "error", However I've had issues with MediaFire- getting to 1% then stopping. I'll try again.

Just tried it out.  I have a few issues with the game, mainly the physics just feel wierd.  There seems to be gravity sometimes and at other times not.  When enemies fall, they drop instantly at high speed and it just looks wierd.
Ah haha! That must be the Gurri's! (Ninja snails) It was originally made to make them fall down a pacific hole without constantly moving back & forth, but acted like that elsewhere.

I never noticed  until some friends first played the finished product, but then i thought since they found it quite amusing i kept it in. And i didn't want to be such a perfectionist with my first released game, because other wise I'd delay it over and over like other projects.

However i now know from constantly learning new techniques how to fix it so, no issue in the sequel!

The star attack is somewhat interesting but doesn't feel like it was implemented very well.  Did you get the idea from Gimmick! (NES game)?  It has a similar attack, although IMO it's implemented better in that game.

Oh! Yes i did get it from Mr Gimmick! (Blimey, someone else knows of it! Or maybe you just read the description on the page Roll Eyes ) But yes, Gimmick had it perfect, the way your speed and jumping effects it is great.
However it was kind of lazy the way mine was coded, Its only by luck that running effects the stars speed. It just has a basic physical response when touching objects.

Here was were it was tested and tweaked:

I need some more gimmick, then Ill try again.

The enemies feel like more of a nuisance than anything else.  You don't get anything for killing them, so it feels like it's better to avoid them entirely.
I was intending each enemy to have a signature rolll like in Mario- i didn't wan't it to be like mario 2 where most enemies walk back & forth. Especially in the later levels are they're actually important for pogression as shown here:

I do see why you'd think that, each stage until world 3-1 introduces one enemy species per level- They rule each respective level until that point, then all gather together from there on.

Though i could do with some hammer bro type enemies.
You can collect those diamond looking things, but I'm not sure what the point is.  If they award extra lives after collecting 100 of them like in Mario, it's pretty pointless, since even if you get a Game Over, you restart right back at the last checkpoint anyway.

Now that's not entirely true, you restart at the beginning of the stage when its game over and start at the checkpoint if you still have lives left! I wanted it to be like Megaman rather than Mario. You'd be thankful it doesn't restart you to the X-1 like it did before I changed it- especially in the last world.

The diamonds, well without them there's not much to look out for. There's that satisfaction you get for finding a stash of diamonds somewhere- even then extra lives aren't overly common and less experienced audiences would find it boring to start out with two lives- game over - back to the start with two lives again, without any extra lives to gain in the meantime.

The lack of a level timer kind of reduces the pressure element other NES-era platformers had, since they had timers and if you spent too long goofing around, you'd lose.

Good point, I'll consider it if it works. I hadn't have timers much in mind because I mostly play Megaman.

I beat the first boss by throwing stars and bouncing them over the barrier, never once put myself in danger.

Again it starts off easy, the thing is there are those who sense to do that, others jump in and throw stars right in its face. Heres an example from someone who "reviewed" my game (PS sorry if is accent is weird): http://videofy.me/v/463936

The reoccurring boss with "Tyranch X" has him go through the same pattern, though its a simple boss some people found it hard. Others found it annoying and therefore grew more hatred toward the character. And if your smart, you can make it super easy like this:

Or be a bad ass and try to do things like jump its bullets n stuff. It also had different environment per fight making it different each time.

It has potential to be something cool, but right now it needs some more work IMO.  Hopefully you can polish it up some more.

I understand. It wasn't made to be perfect but i think that way it made me learn more on how to make it so. Firstly I'll be making a sequel to expand upon and add new elements, then in the far future I wanted to make an iOS port. It'll mean starting from scratch (Due to screen res) But that'll be better to make it more balanced.

Thanks for your support

(PS Ideas for enemies, zones, gimmicks etc for upcoming sequel are welcome)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic