Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 08:17:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Republia Times: Orwellian Desktop Publishing [LD48 Practice]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Republia Times: Orwellian Desktop Publishing [LD48 Practice]  (Read 4594 times)
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2012, 05:38:33 AM »

Hello,

Been away from games for a bit and I wanted to try out something quick in preparation for LD48.

I've made a bunch of games before (Helsing's Fire, Mightier, etc), but this is my first quickly-developed game and my first Flash game. Flash debugging sucks nuts but otherwise I had fun. Flixel is great.

Like LudumDare proper, this is a 2-day project with some rough edges. If anything doesn't work or isn't fun, I have multiple built-in excuses.

The Republia Times
You've just been assigned the editor-in-chief position at The Republia Times in the glorious and free nation of Republia. You must use your influence to print positive articles that paint Republia in a good light.

Play it online
(Or download the source. There are two endings)

(<3 Mac Plus)

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 08:17:27 AM »

I spent a few more hours today polishing this.

Added music, sound effects, gameplay tweaks and some flavor images. Same link.

Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 12:26:34 PM »

Played through it, pretty awesome game. I'd like to see the same concept expanded, more articles, more events, less randomness in the game play and more strategy, etc.  Great for two days.
nighttrover
Level 0

I play your games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 01:01:34 PM »

I thought it was interesting. It reminded me of a kid's flash game I used to play. It also looked towards an interesting historical concept of censorship (and I'm a big history fan, so). I loved it, and if I were to add improvements, it would be expansion into a full-fledged game with a couple hours of  directed gameplay, maybe. I would also make it more colorful.

Lastly, I found a ... glitch during the gameplay? It was an empty newspaper socket, and here is a screenshot I got of it:

Otherwise, great game. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 01:08:46 PM by nighttrover » Logged

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 03:36:52 PM »

That's not a glitch. Noir

nighttrover
Level 0

I play your games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 04:11:54 PM »

My Word! Really? What's the purpose of it?

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 07:18:03 PM »

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you liked it   Smiley

One of the iterations I tried had more involved stats for your readers (morale, lawfulness, trust) but it was a too overwhelming for a 2-day project. If I did a proper expanded version, I could go back and try that again with more time.

And as you both say, there's some good potential for an expanded story with more scripted events and plot forks.

My Word! Really? What's the purpose of it?

Foreshadowing!

magikmw
Level 0

Run, you fools.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 11:03:38 PM »

Hey, it's pretty good. Technically it's solid, idea is new and even without much apparent content (So far I've managed to get to day 3) it's fairly fun to play.
The only so-so points are - I don't know what's the relation between size and placement of the articles and effects, and I feel there are too few good topics (not suprising at all) to win the game. Most likely I'm doing something wrong.

http://michalwalczak.eu/
magikmw @ quakenet.org
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic