Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411633 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 03:29:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallNew fantasy tactics game announced! Telepath Tactics
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New fantasy tactics game announced! Telepath Tactics  (Read 1447 times)
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2012, 08:48:56 AM »

Hey guys! You may have noticed the devlog I've been keeping over on the Feedback forums. Well, today I decided it was time to finally give Telepath Tactics a proper announcement!

Here it is:

All right, I can’t keep this a secret any longer. I’ve been working on a new game, and I just have to tell you guys about it. First: it’s awesome. Second: it’s multiplayer. Third: it’s based on Telepath RPG.

The new game is called Telepath Tactics. I’ve been listening to all the feedback I received after releasing Telepath RPG: Servants of God, and used it to create a brand new engine that features even deeper and more interesting tactics for pitched battles with friends.

1. New graphics. No more looking at the tops of characters’ heads! TT features beautiful pixel art using classic oblique projection.

2. Better UI. The user interface is mouse-based now; no need to alternate between mouse and keyboard.

3. Click-to-move. The game now features Fire Emblem-style movement; click a character to see all possible destinations, then click a tile to move there.

4. Deeper mechanics. There are tons of new mechanics in the game: bridge building, barricades, explosives, elevation effects, status effects, pushing and throwing of other characters and destructible objects, random item drops, environmental hazards, and much more!

5. Unit variety. There are 22 unique classes of units in the game, each with its own suite of attacks, stats, and elemental strengths and weaknesses.

6. Better AI. The game is meant to be played with friends, but you can play against up to 5 computer opponents if you want. I’ve taken the core heuristics from Telepath RPG: Servants of God and improved them for challenging single player matches that will test your tactical mettle.

7. Map editor. The game features an advanced map editor that allows you to create new battlefields whenever you like. The editor features multiple layers, support for custom tiles, and unlimited undo/redo. Save your maps as XML files to share with others, and grab others’ maps to use with your own copy of TT.

Got it? Now, take all of that and add to it the fact that you can play hotseat games with up to 5 other people on any Windows, Mac or Linux computer. (You can also play asynchronously with friends over email, in case your pals aren’t available to swing by for a match.)

Expect to see Telepath Tactics out for Windows, Mac and Linux by the end of the year. If there’s enough demand, I’ll port the game to Android and iOS as well. In the meantime, follow Sinister Design on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS feed to be kept up to date about the game’s progress!

larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 10:25:34 AM »

Just so you know this looks amazing!!!!
I assume you're using as3 w/AIR as before?

Nostrils!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »

the sprites are definitely an improvement from your earlier games, but i still don't really like the terrain graphics; i'd suggest more variety: more trees, more rocks, flowers, etc., to break up the monotony of the huge neon green fields of grass (and perhaps darken the grass's color a bit so it's not so bright; generally you want to have the ground less bright than the sprites, so that they stand out on it rather than vice versa). also perhaps some cracks in the floor, drains, differently colored cobblestones, etc., to break up the monotony of the cobblestone floor

it's also a bit weird that the trees have shadows, but the rocks and walls don't; if you're going to give things shadows it's best to be consistent with it

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 11:01:45 AM »

Just so you know this looks amazing!!!!
I assume you're using as3 w/AIR as before?

Thanks! And yes, it's AS3 in AIR. Smiley

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 11:47:16 AM »

it's also a bit weird that the trees have shadows, but the rocks and walls don't; if you're going to give things shadows it's best to be consistent with it
Rocks have shadow but it's too small compared to the sprite.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 11:47:45 AM »

ah, yeah, that's right, i didn't notice them

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 06:33:10 PM »

Yeah, I went ahead and changed that. The unit shadows were also about four or so pixels too low, so I fixed that as well. Wall shadows aren't in-game yet, but they're definitely planned.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 07:33:26 PM »

Looks nice, although I agree with Paul that the environment looks a bit odd with the huge expanses of very detailed art. Also, the perspective on that front stair makes it look more like a wall with ridges in it.

Those are nitpicks, though - congrats on everything else! Toast Left
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 09:34:42 AM »

So, RockPaperShotgun just posted an article covering the game's announcement. I submitted it to Reddit--upvotes would be greatly appreciated! Smiley

Looks nice, although I agree with Paul that the environment looks a bit odd with the huge expanses of very detailed art. Also, the perspective on that front stair makes it look more like a wall with ridges in it.

Those are nitpicks, though - congrats on everything else! Toast Left

Thanks, Derek! Beer!

Dragonmaw
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 12:51:37 PM »

Probably your first game that I can unequivocally say I am really excited for. Much better UI and art? Jizztacular. Can't wait!
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 12:41:16 PM »

Thanks Dragonmaw; I hope you like it. Smiley

Pluvious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 01:03:28 PM »

Beer!

My type of game.  Looks really interesting.  I would love to test it out. 
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 09:38:12 AM »

I'll be taking applications for closed beta testing at some point, once the game is out of alpha--keep an eye out! Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic