Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 03:23:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralCore War
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Core War  (Read 10612 times)
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 09:26:55 AM »

Neat! Could you be bothered to explain the code in a bit more detail? I do understand how it works basically, but a small comment for each row would be a real treat Gentleman

On a different topic: Would it be hard to set up a TIGS-hill?

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Poor Lazlo
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 11:22:58 AM »

Neat! Could you be bothered to explain the code in a bit more detail? I do understand how it works basically, but a small comment for each row would be a real treat.

Absolutely!

Code:
;corewar-94 <-- Using the '94 standard, not the '88
;name Toothy <-- name (obv)

launch MOV bait, @bait <-- Move the instruction "bait" to the location specified in
                            its B-Field.(Indirect addressing with the @)

ADD.AB clear, launch <-- Add the A-Field of clear to the B-field of bait. This
                                 means the bait will be sent 10 addresses ahead of last
                                 time.

SUB clear, bait <-- subtract the same step from the bait, so bait is still
                            pointing at the trap

JMP launch <-- Loop back to launch

bait JMP trap, 0 <-- The JMP instruction to be dropped across the core. The SUB
                        instruction above keeps it pointing at the trap. Any process that
                        comes upon the bait will therefore jump straight into the trap!
                        The B-Field for JMPs are unused, so we can use it here to keep
                        the address where each bomb should be dropped. 10 is added to
                        this each time, so the JMPs are placed 10 spaces apart. Toothy is
                        only 9 addresses long, so it never hits itself.

clear DAT #10, #0 <-- The bomb used for the core-clear below. I used it to keep the
                        step size of the attack as well. I should have just used a
                        constant really, and kept this a DAT #0, #0, because then any
                        scanners falling upon this instruction would see empty core, and
                        move on.

trap SPL 1, -60 <-- The trap! This SPL creates a new (enemy) process, which slows down
                       the enemy as each process takes up one turn. A program with many
                       processes becomes very slow. I also use the unused B-Field of the
                       SPL to store the location for the core-clear to begin at.

MOV clear, <-1 <-- This drops the DAT bomb "clear" at the location specified in
                            "trap"'s B-field, decrementing it every time. This means the
                            core-clear will put a dat in every address in the core,
                            hopefully destroying everything that is not me. Eventually
                            this will loop round and wipe itself, and the enemy processes
                            trapped here will be killed.

JMP trap, <-11  <-- This makes the enemy processes jump back to the SPL command,
                            keeping them alive, and the enemy sluggish. The B-Field also
                            decrements the address 11 spaces before it. This is called an
                            imp-gate, and helps to kill imps (MOV 0, 1).

END launch <-- This signifies to the MARS that the program should begin at "launch"
               (Somewhat unintuitive, but whatever).

I hope that helps.  Wizard

On a different topic: Would it be hard to set up a TIGS-hill?

I have absolutely no idea. I shall have a look.
lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 11:37:37 AM »

This looks fun, I'm just having trouble grasping the concept. I was reading through that tutorial and the code didn't make sense because I just don't know what its trying to accomplish or how you actually "win"; its very abstract as the guide said. I'm gonna keep reading and go re-read things and hopefully it'll start to make more sense.

My games on  GameJolt.com

PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2009, 11:42:16 AM »

I feel like this article gives a good introduction to the concept.

The programs do not manipulate vehicles in a physical system in an attempt to vanquish opposing vehicles, as with some other types of programming games. Instead, the programs try to directly destroy the opposing program by overwriting their code. A program thread dies only when it executes an illegal instruction or tries to divide by zero. A program wins when all opposing threads crash in this manner, and it loses if it, itself, is entirely crashed.
Poor Lazlo
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2009, 12:42:06 PM »

I feel like this article gives a good introduction to the concept.

The programs do not manipulate vehicles in a physical system in an attempt to vanquish opposing vehicles, as with some other types of programming games. Instead, the programs try to directly destroy the opposing program by overwriting their code. A program thread dies only when it executes an illegal instruction or tries to divide by zero. A program wins when all opposing threads crash in this manner, and it loses if it, itself, is entirely crashed.

That's a great explanation. I think I'll add a list of resources to the first post.
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2009, 03:28:36 PM »

This looks pretty awesome. I don't know if I can comprehend it, though... whatever you say, it looks difficult. How can the modulus be used as a weapon?

LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2009, 05:18:36 PM »

I want to start playing this, I really do. Without wanting to blow my own trumpet, I have a hunch I'd be able to write some pretty evil beasties. I'm just worried that if i start, I'll wake up one day and realise I've lost a year of my life... I get sucked into stuff like this far too easily, and I've gots me a game to write.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2009, 05:35:30 PM »

Thank you for you explanation, Lazlo!

This looks pretty awesome. I don't know if I can comprehend it, though... whatever you say, it looks difficult. How can the modulus be used as a weapon?

You don't use modulus as a weapon. You just need to use modulus to figure things out.

For example the program "Dwarf" bombs every fourth row by overwriting it with "DAT 0, 0".

Code:
        ADD #4, 3 ;program start
        MOV 2, @2
        JMP -2
        DAT #0, #0 ;program end
        DAT #0, #0 ;first bomb

It starts by bombing four rows under itself, then eight rows, then twelve rows and so on. The bombings will eventually reach 8000 rows. But as the core wraps around after 8000 rows, 8000 == 0. So the Dwarf then bombs 0 rows under itself (it bombs it's own DAT-row). The process then starts over. The neat thing is that it just misses bombing itself.

Understanding how this works and using modulus to make such timings (and other modulus stuff) is probably a key skill when creating a warrior.

A detailed explanation of how the Dwarf works can be found in this guide: http://vyznev.net/corewar/guide.html

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2009, 01:27:44 AM »

Code:
launch	MOV bait, @bait
ADD.AB clear, launch
SUB clear, bait
JMP launch

That's a pretty inefficient loop, .25 light speed. You should make it .34c by combining the ADD and SUB into a single instruction. Remember, ADD.F adds both fields of the source into the destination.

For starters, I need to choose a better step size than 10 (finding constants that are good is the most boring part of core war, in my opinion)

Here's the list of optimal step sizes:

1   3039   3359
2   3094   2234
4   3044   3364
5   2365   3315
8   2376   2936
10   2430   2930

I'm sure there are lots of ways to make it smaller and more efficient.

I combined the ADD and SUB into a single ADD, and changed SPL 1 into SPL #0. The immediate mode makes the SPL always split into $0, regardless of the value in the A-field - Freeing it up as an extra data storage you can use for something else. The smallest possible step size is 4 for it to not bomb itself (it'll hit the last JMP in the trap, but that shouldn't matter. If it does, increment to 5) and the above table thus indicates the optimal step size is either 3044 or 3364, I chose the latter for aesthetics. You might want to add a bootstrap with a quickscan (too advanced for me) and to decoy scanners. Since this warrior relies on a core size of 8000 and splitting processes, you should add the assert directive to make sure those settings apply.

Code:
;corewar-94
;name Toothy
;edited by Core Xii
;assert CORESIZE == 8000 && MAXPROCESSES > 1

INTV equ 3364

ORG launch

launch MOV bait, @bait
ADD.F clear, bait
JMP launch

bait JMP -INTV+trap, INTV

clear DAT #-INTV, #INTV

trap SPL #0, <-60
MOV clear, <-1
JMP trap, <-11

END
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2009, 03:52:07 AM »

Here's my response to Toothy: Indie; Wins 47%, loses 7%, ties 46% (my edited version of Toothy ties considerably more at 61%)

Code: (Indie.red)
;redcode-94
;name Indie
;author Core Xii
;strategy redirect stun bomber + DJN-stream

INTV equ 2234

org Bomb

Bomb spl #2484, }0
Aim add.ab #INTV, Fire
Fire mov Bomb, }INTV-INTV
Strm djn.a Aim, }Bomb

end
Poor Lazlo
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2009, 05:44:36 AM »

Code:
launch	MOV bait, @bait
ADD.AB clear, launch
SUB clear, bait
JMP launch

That's a pretty inefficient loop, .25 light speed.

Ouch! Very true. I think I'll change it to something like this:
Code:
launch	SPL #const, #-const
loop MOV bait, @bait
ADD.I launch, -1
JMP loop, <-50
END launch

Similar to what you suggested, but the SPL 0 adds protection. I also used it to store the constant, so I don't have a coloured dat in the middle of my warrior (which will get picked up by scanners). It obviously doesn't guard against core-clears, but it's better than nothing.

I changed SPL 1 into SPL #0. The immediate mode makes the SPL always split into $0, regardless of the value in the A-field - Freeing it up as an extra data storage you can use for something else.

Hmm. I'm not sure that's better. Surely a SPL 0 will make the enemy processes survive the core clear they are running? The intention for the SPL 1 was that when the coreclear hit the MOV command, the enemy processes would split onto a DAT, and die. Maybe I need to step through this. For now, though, I'll leave it in.

Looking at this, it should work with a step size of 5, so I'll use a constant of 2365. All in all, the new Toothy looks like this:

Code:
;corewar-94
;name Toothy 1.1
;strategy Vamp
;author Daniel Rivas

const EQU 2365

launch SPL #const, #-const
loop MOV bait, @bait
ADD.I launch, -1
JMP loop, <-50

bait JMP trap, 0

clear DAT #0, #0

trap SPL 1, <-120
MOV clear, <-1
JMP trap, <-11

END launch

Hmm. Out of 8000 rounds, Toothy and Indie seem to be pretty evenly matched:

Tournament Results
==================

Conditions
==========
Melee with 2 warriors, 8000 rounds
Score formula: (W*W-1)/S
Core size  Max processes  Max cycles  Max length  Min distance
---------  -------------  ----------  ----------  ------------
     8000           8000       80000         100           100

Summary
=======
Warrior                   Author                Length    Score   Given      W%      L%      T%
-------                   ------                ------    -----   -----  ------  ------  ------
Toothy                    Daniel Rivas         0.87873    111.5   110.9    11.3    11.1    77.6
Indie                     Anonymous            0.87873    110.9   111.5    11.1    11.3    77.6

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2009, 11:20:17 PM »

Hmm. I'm not sure that's better. Surely a SPL 0 will make the enemy processes survive the core clear they are running? The intention for the SPL 1 was that when the coreclear hit the MOV command, the enemy processes would split onto a DAT, and die. Maybe I need to step through this. For now, though, I'll leave it in.

Ah, I didn't realize that was your intention. It's just that SPL 0 is more effective at stunning.

Very good. Here's my new response, something quite different: Upstream. It's basically a single-instruction warrior. Grin
Introducing bootstrapping, binary launch and the for-macro.

Code: (Upstream.red)
;redcode-94
;name Upstream
;author Core Xii
;strategy interlaced DJN-stream

CORE equ (CORESIZE-(MINDISTANCE*2))
NUM equ 91

org Boot

Boot
for NUM
mov Strm, (Boot+MAXLENGTH)+((CORE/(NUM+1))*(1-Boot))
rof

spl 1, 0  ;1
mov -1, 0 ;0
spl 1, 0  ;1
spl 1, 0  ;1
mov -1, 0 ;0
spl 1, 0  ;1
mov -1, 0 ;0

jmp @Boot, }0

Strm djn.f #1, }0

end

Tournament Results
==================

Conditions
==========
Melee with 3 warriors, 800 rounds
Core size  Max processes  Max cycles  Max length  Min distance
---------  -------------  ----------  ----------  ------------
     8000           8000       80000         100           100

Summary
=======
Warrior       Author         Length    Score   Given      W%      L%     T%
-------       ------         ------    -----   -----  ------  ------  ------
Upstream      Core Xii       0,92729    329,0   265,0    12,6     4,6    31,3
Toothy 1.1    Daniel Rivas   0,92729    207,0   387,0     0,4    22,9    25,3
Indie         Core Xii       0,92729    161,0   433,0     0,6    34,6    13,3
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 11:24:03 PM by Core Xii » Logged
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 03:20:22 PM »

Nice stuff! I'll try to put something together soon (even if I'll end up at the bottom of your list)

Poor Lazlo
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009, 07:33:02 AM »

Very good. Here's my new response, something quite different: Upstream. It's basically a single-instruction warrior. Grin
Introducing bootstrapping, binary launch and the for-macro.

Toothy is back again! I'm pretty unhappy with it, to be honest, but whatever.

Code: (toothy.red)
;corewar-94
;name Toothy 1.5
;strategy Vamp
;author Daniel Rivas

const EQU 2430

start SPL copy, 0
launch SPL #const, #-const
loop MOV bait, @bait
ADD.I launch, -1
JMP loop, <-50

bait JMP trap, 0

trap SPL 2, <-120
MOV clear, <-1
last JMP trap, <-11

copy JMZ.F 0, -300
MOV last, -350
SUB.F #1, -1
SUB.A #1, count
JMZ.A -353, count
JMP -4

DAT #0, #0
count DAT #9, #0
clear DAT #0, #0

END start

Changing the SPL 1 in the trap to SPL 2 helps to make sure the enemy processes still die. The big change, though, is the copy code. This basically scans an area 300 addresses above toothy, and copies toothy there 50 if it detects a change. This hopefully moves toothy out of danger...

Anyway, it's a pretty crap implementation. Oh well. I think that really just going for a straight replicator would be a better way to go. Possibly I should just sit down and make this thing better. Anyways, Upstream and Toothy now tie against each other almost every time:

Results
==================

Conditions
==========
Melee with 2 warriors, 8000 rounds

Summary
=======
Warrior                   Author                Length    Score   Given      W%      L%      T%
-------                   ------                ------    -----   -----  ------  ------  ------
Toothy 1.5                Daniel Rivas         0.96754    104.9    98.7     2.8     0.8    96.4
Upstream                  Core Xii             0.96754     98.7   104.9     0.8     2.8    96.4

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2009, 09:44:25 AM »

Oops, I've been running the tournaments in Melee rather than Round Robin. Embarrassed Explains the discrepancy between our numbers.

A scanner enters the hill: Twoosh. Inspired by yours, this warrior has two parallel loops, one that adds numbers and another that clears the core. Both loops' jump instructions work together as the scanner.

Code: (Twoosh.red)
;redcode-94
;name Twoosh
;author Core Xii
;strategy .5c stun scanner + .25c core-clear

INTV equ 2430
DIST equ 5

org Boot

Boot spl Fire, Data+MINDISTANCE

Aim add.f Data, Ptr
jmz.a Aim, @Ptr
mov Ptr, @Ptr
Hit djn.f Aim, >Boot

Fire mov Data, >Boot
jmz.a Fire, *Ptr
mov Ptr, *Ptr
djn.f Fire, >Boot

Ptr spl #Hit, }Hit+DIST
Data dat {INTV, <INTV

end

Hint, use the
Code:
[tt]
tag to make your tournament table monospace.

Tournament Results
==================

Conditions
==========
Round robin with 4 warriors, 200 rounds per matchup

Summary
=======
Upstream                  Core Xii             0,84322    144,0    80,0    22,7     1,3    76,0
Twoosh                    Core Xii             0,68676    142,3   100,8    28,5    14,7    56,8
Toothy 1.5                Daniel Rivas         0,79269     88,2   139,2     5,2    22,2    72,7
Indie                     Core Xii             0,82416     85,2   139,7     3,3    21,5    75,2

I'd say we should roll with a hill format where all the existing warriors are fought also, for increased challenge. Upstream is still king of the hill. Do you think I should run more than 200 rounds per matchup? Would 800 suffice? I wouldn't care waiting for 8000.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »

I call for science!
How big is the difference between 200 and 800 rounds, is the difference relevant?

Poor Lazlo
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2009, 11:37:50 AM »

I call for science!
How big is the difference between 200 and 800 rounds, is the difference relevant?

Hmm. Well, after some experimentation, it seems like the results stop changing much after about 800 rounds, so is that okay?
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2009, 01:06:06 PM »

Sounds good to me, I used 800 for the tournament below Smiley

So, here is my first attempt ever at this. I give you The 7-10 Split. It's written from scratch and ignores most conventions. Against bench-mark tests, it gets the lowest score together with Toothy. But it stands as the proud champion of the TIGShill Wizard

Code:
;redcode-94
;name The 7-10 Split
;author Dacke
;strategy Quick bombing run, followed by dual DJN streams
;assert MAXLENGTH == 100 && MINDISTANCE  == 100
space EQU 75
ORG Bombrun

Upstream
DJN #-100, {0
Bombrun
FOR 97
mov {(100+space/2+space*(-1*Bombrun)), {(100+space+space*(-1*Bombrun))
ROF
SPL Upstream, <4000
DJN #102, }0
END

Conditions
==========
Round robin with 4 warriors, 800 rounds per matchup

Summary
=======
The 7-10 Split            Dacke                0,76662    130,0    99,2    19,7     9,5    70,8
Toothy 1.5                Daniel Rivas         0,92339    117,7    94,5    10,0     2,3    87,8
Upstream                  Core Xii             0,79560    112,5   111,7    12,3    12,0    75,8
Indie                     Core Xii             0,80474     86,5   141,2     4,7    23,0    72,3

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2009, 01:22:03 PM »

Whoops, I missed Twoosh! Twoosh is the new champion of the hill Smiley

Tournament Results
==================

Warrior                   Author                Length    Score   Given      W%      L%      T%
-------                   ------                ------    -----   -----  ------  ------  ------
Twoosh                    Core Xii             0,68493    135,2   109,4    26,6    18,0    55,5
The 7-10 Split            Dacke                0,73739    129,0   105,3    21,1    13,2    65,7
Upstream                  Core Xii             0,77945    124,8   103,8    17,8    10,8    71,4
Toothy 1.5                Daniel Rivas         0,81001    100,9   126,0     9,3    17,7    73,1
Indie                     Core Xii             0,80113     91,2   136,7     6,3    21,5    72,2

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »

Huh.

Warrior                   Author                Length    Score   Given      W%      L%      T%
-------                   ------                ------    -----   -----  ------  ------  ------
The 7-10 Split            Dacke                0,74133    133,3   100,2    22,3    11,2    66,5
Twoosh                    Core Xii             0,69324    131,7   111,6    25,0    18,3    56,7
Upstream                  Core Xii             0,77629    125,5   103,4    18,1    10,8    71,1
Toothy 1.5                Daniel Rivas         0,81477     97,7   128,4     7,9    18,2    73,9
Indie                     Core Xii             0,81561     91,2   135,7     6,0    20,8    73,1

So apparently 800 rounds isn't enough after all. It takes forever to run 8000 rounds. Oh well.

Edit: I'll try 3200.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 02:11:27 PM by Core Xii » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic