Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 10:48:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDRYPOINT (open source)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: DRYPOINT (open source)  (Read 48732 times)
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2009, 08:16:56 AM »

Yeah, I think something a little more subtle and atmospheric would fit the game better.

Also, with all the weird jumping mechanics the experts can use, I get the feeling that a time trial mode or something would be cool.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2009, 09:05:26 AM »

omg why have i missed this devlog  Shocked

looks awesome dude(tte?)! gonna try the demo   Hand Thumbs Up LeftPanda

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2009, 12:14:21 PM »

Also there is nothing strange about that, mark. I just bought RE5 and I played the first few levels and that was it. I've played Drypoint much much more (and enjoyed it more) than I have that $50 game.
Well then I went on to play batman for 7 hours.

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2009, 06:47:15 PM »

Wow it was so nice to get back home after the Comicon with all these nice feedbacks  !

I brought Drypoint to play test it at Comic Con in Montreal today, I had a table so I figured why not. I think the best playtest are by total strangers ( which turns out to be new friends, ntmy MagicFred ) . I saw someone going to the very top, and a few people on msn and twitter sent me screenshots from the highest point of the game, so I suppose it's time for me to build on !!

Mark, you are too kind ! And I am glad to see my little game won over Batman which is a epic looking game ^___^. This is so heartwarming.

Allen, Haha man I am at this point where I don't know if I wanna make it a race game or a chillout non-game. I actually enjoy the idea of just taking your time and looking around a lot. I don't want people to get pissed of so much for falling off, but more like a motivation of practice precise jumping. I think I will make a time-line right next to the location, the timeline will be slowly going up, so the player know where he should be at this point in time. I am not sure I will make a text-build for this feature soon. And a music-off button.

Thanks Eclipse, thanks LeFIshy and FIshyBoy (same person ?) !!

I was wondering, is the splash with the [W] key at the bottom right too confusing ? I was thinking of adding a spacebar button once you're passed the splash screen. What do you think? I am thinking about making the controls help page gradually showing as you go.

If I make the mouse clicks for jumping too, would anyone prefer that ? people on laptop mostly. ?

Thanks so much ^__^ Next release will have new locations to see   Wizard
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 06:54:23 PM by aliceffekt » Logged

XXIIVV

Drypoint, Cyanosis, Kanikule, Valentinel, Pierrot Death, Zjeveni, Merveilles, Cenote, Cloud is a Lie, Pico³, Siseon°, Phloston Paradise, Volkenessen, FRACT, Waiting for Horus, Diluvium, Pico Battle, Hiversaires, Melady Antres.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2009, 09:03:25 PM »

Most people will have no problem with that. I actually like it the way it is.

At first I noticed I could look around so I thought if I could look around then I could move, so that's what was going through my head when I played it.

Mouse button to jump would be fine, I remember playing one game like that. I don't know if I would prefer it in this game though.

Good to hear about your experience at Comic Con.
Pixelfenix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2009, 05:19:09 AM »

I just finished playing through the game and I must say I enjoyed it quite alot! There were some tricky jumps at the end but nothing I couldn't handle, can't wait for harder stuff hehe.

Are you planning to make a huuuuuge level or to have differently themed level (Like this one would be a japanese themed one with the Sakura and Shinto shrine gate and all)?

Ps. For some reason the music was stuttering at some points on my machine, don't think you can do much about that though..
PlayMeTape
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2009, 02:33:23 PM »

Hi there, just popped in to say I enjoyed your game quite a lot!

Might I suggest that you don't add too many check points. I think a game like this should be quite unforgiving. But what someone said about being able to jump a while after you've stepped off of a platform would be a good idea.

Also, I would really like if you'd be able to lock you're view (for example by holding down the mousebutton). But maybe this wouldn't be needed once the player can adjust the sensitivity.

Also a quick question, how do you like Unity? I'm getting quite interested in it.
MaloEspada
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2009, 02:52:28 PM »

I fell when I was right at the end...  Facepalm
This game really needs some checkpoints. Although it's way cool right now
Flame
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2009, 03:47:15 PM »

I fell when I was right at the end...  Facepalm
This game really needs some checkpoints. Although it's way cool right now

I think the whole point of the game is that there is no checkpoints.
So if you fall you're basically screwed.

But, it would be nice if there was 3 different levels you can say.

And one level would have checkpoints and its smaller than a regular level. And a harder level would just be a longer and more hard version of the normal ones.

And there is a rank system. But, it would kind of change the game and wouldn't be as fun for me xD

I rather have what you're doing right now.
Which I'm thinking is just making the level longer and longer and bigger and bigger.
Basically, almost never ending!
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2009, 03:56:07 PM »

I think the game should be divided into levels, and each level is a checkpoint. The current game would be a middle level, with the earlier ones being shorter, and the later ones being longer.

Also: You can move faster by moving diagonal. (although I haven't found any shortcuts using this glitch)
aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2009, 07:19:37 PM »

Updates Log
3a - Removed the music
3a - Minor Level design fix
3a - Fixed the crashes on the first floor and fixed the double jump crash
3a - More Fluid mouse sensitivity
3a - New Level ( Test )
3a - Timer bar
3a - Faster Frame Rate
2a - The mouse is hidden
2a - Added a crosshair
2a - Added a map or locator
2a - Fixed a few Level Design flaws
2a - Added a track ( ドライポイント U P    by 害意 )
2a - Added a splash screen
2a - Added an application icon for OS X

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 07:28:00 PM by aliceffekt » Logged

XXIIVV

Drypoint, Cyanosis, Kanikule, Valentinel, Pierrot Death, Zjeveni, Merveilles, Cenote, Cloud is a Lie, Pico³, Siseon°, Phloston Paradise, Volkenessen, FRACT, Waiting for Horus, Diluvium, Pico Battle, Hiversaires, Melady Antres.
alspal
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2009, 07:42:38 PM »

pretty cool so far, I like the style and everything. What I didn't like was the 'bunny hopping' where if you keep the space bar held down it will keep jumping continously, might be better if you only jump when you press it.
I also didn't like how when you fall/die it instantly resets you back to the blue wall. Might be better to have the player stop when they hit the bottom, then maybe have a brief fade to the start.
But that's just me.
LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2009, 02:57:04 AM »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

I keep getting so close. SO CLOSE.
aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2009, 07:22:11 AM »

Haha LeFishy ^___^ Don't give up :D ! I will make a smoother transition on death* 

If you think level 1 was hard, wait till you try lvl 2

XXIIVV

skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2009, 10:53:58 AM »

How do you create the levels? Do you have a separate tool to create them, or?

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2009, 12:47:59 PM »

I downloaded this a couple of days ago, and I'm really liking it. The atmosphere is great even with no sound. I could see it being really incredible with great ambient sound and sound effects.

The game has a very solid feeling, like it's using every ounce of its fidelity well, if that makes any sense.

I'm not very far up the tower yet, but I have a couple of small suggestions about the level design I've seen so far.
  • The first "only visible from above" platform isn't very intuitive, I think a lot of people will get stuck there. For instance I didn't know what the arrow was supposed to mean, and I became convinced I was supposed to climb the holes in the gates. After trying that for a few minutes, I was about to give up. I only happened to figure it out because I was looking at the first of these platforms while jumping.
  • It might be good to introduce the first slide jumps in a lower risk setting, so people can practice them a few times and get a feel for them.

I quite like this, and I'll be checking the thread regularly. Best wishes!
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2009, 01:58:34 PM »

Just had a big ordeal with the mac version- is doesn't allow for exiting.  Lips Sealed

N
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2009, 02:16:16 PM »

Too bad the music was removed, I liked it pretty much!
Anyway, I'm really enjoying/hating this game!:D
Keep it going! Beer!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2009, 02:30:19 PM »

Just had a big ordeal with the mac version- is doesn't allow for exiting.  Lips Sealed

the PC version has this too. alt+f4 solves this. but don't know about the mac equivalent.

I like the "only visible from above" mechanic. but at first I was confused, that first part should be more descriptive to let the player know. took me a couple of seconds to realize it.

level 2 looks brutal by the way
aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2009, 04:25:45 PM »

Been working hard on this haha, much harder than I thought I would.. Probably cos you keep bumping this topic, it makes me feel like it matters Smiley . I am working on a beta release ( you know, the kind that's easy to grasp and that doesn't unexpectedly crash.. )

Here is a video preview of the new level 1, with 2 different way of climbing the few first steps, I will releases 2 levels in Beta 1 and hopefully a song ? .

Skyy -> I used the Unity UI to place things around, now the levels are loaded in a xml file. location of each cube : )
Sparky -> I redesigned the beginning and there are no more platforms I had a lot of feedback of people getting stuck at water level.
Masna -> like every mac program, just apple+Q .  Facepalm I will make it written somewhere hehe.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 04:32:19 PM by aliceffekt » Logged

XXIIVV

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic