Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 07:58:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting(iss dead)Hellbender: Ravaging ops showcase.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: (iss dead)Hellbender: Ravaging ops showcase.  (Read 2545 times)
smoke_th
Level 0

Vidiya gamez.

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2012, 06:57:19 PM »

Iss dead.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:37:24 PM by smoke_th » Logged
Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 11:24:46 PM »

Hellbender, doesn't that have something to do with Fury^3? Checking it out.

BTW, wrong forum, and nice avatar.

EDIT- Seems a good start. Flight controls don't have quite the right feel, though. The automatic roll return is way too slow. Rotation feels kinda jerky. I recommend you get the control feeling good in first-person, then go and work on the third-person camera to account for it. As I recall, Terminal Velocity & Fury^3 are best played FP (never played Hellbender).

Also I'd prefer if in first-person the reticle stayed stationary. Having it show the rotation rate looks cool, but it's not as functional, and it's kind of redundant (I can see how I'm rotating by my view of the world).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:39:54 PM by Danmark » Logged
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 01:34:30 AM »

Like Danmark, this reminded me of Fury^3 and I haven't played Hellbender. Watching a gameplay vid of Hellbender reminded me more of Radix: Beyond the Void (an old game I really enjoyed that you may like too).

Anyway, I agree with Danmark about the reticule and automatic leveling. The main thing that felt wrong to me, though, was the speed. At sea level, the water should've been rushing by but I felt like I was just crawling along. The original game looks pretty fast-paced for the most part, and I think you should try for that too.

I think a simpler reticule would be more appealing and higher raindrop density would be nice.

I liked how it controlled for the most part. It did bug me that when I turned left or right, my view got, for lack of a better term, "wonky". Angling the view a bit when turning is one thing, but I felt like it was going up and down and sideways as I did a 360. It was just weird. At least once, when I turned my craft upward, my view angled sideways slightly for some reason.

As someone who plays older games fairly regularly, I think the graphics are decent. They look slightly retro, but in a pretty good way (a Fury/Freespace/Descent sort of way).

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 04:14:31 PM »

Oh Hellbender, for serious? Neat. Wonder if Gillian Anderson is still available for V/O?

Also, can't play this at the mo, but will give it a shot when I can. And run it side-by-side with my copy, see how it holds up  Evil
deathtotheweird
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 12:52:40 PM »

I like the graphics and music. get some kind of late 90s pc 3d shareware vibe.

the problem I have with the game are the controls, they're way too many. maybe if I had 8 fingers on my left hand the game would be easy to control, but I don't so it's not. I kept pressing the wrong buttons due to the close proximity of the roll buttons to the accelerate buttons.

is there any reason that 1 and 5 switches weapons? why can't 1 button just toggle them?

I don't understand the point of switching energy to weapon/shield systems or to main reactor. it seems needlessly complex, unless you're going for a complex game rather than a shooter then I suppose that's fine.
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »

Maybe you're using the same controls as the original game. I don't know. Personally, I think it would make much more sense if it was set up something like W - accelerate, S - decelerate, Q - roll left, E - roll right, V - change view. Z, X and C could be used for things like power management. That would work great for a large percentage of your audience, but you might also want an AZERTY-friendly control setup too.

The crosshair in first-person mode is huge and covers up anything I look at.

"Q" is listed in the controls, but it didn't seem to have any effect. What does it do?

deathtotheweird
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 02:44:35 PM »

when activated it auto-rotates the ship to keep it upright. but, it's pretty slow and not very noticeable so I can see how you missed it.
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 03:36:22 PM »

Ah, if you're mainly using the original controls then I guess that works. They seemed more "strange" than "complicated" to me. That said, the fact that someone found it complicated doesn't seem like a reason to get angry. Not everyone plays/understands/enjoys games like this. Allen may just not be in your target audience.

Anyway, nice to hear that you're planning a downloadable version.

Somehow, I didn't realize earlier that I could go above the clouds. I love it when games allow that. The clipping plane seems to cut off some of the more distant stars, though, depending on the ship's rotation.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 04:14:17 PM by Quicksand-S » Logged

deathtotheweird
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 04:06:08 PM »

it was just my opinion you don't need to go all rage mode on me. and "learn multitasking" is not a valid position for having objectively terrible controls.

if you can't take feedback without being an intolerable cunt then don't ask for it, fucking idiot.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic