Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 09:01:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAGFR#1: A nice and simple dungeon crawler
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: AGFR#1: A nice and simple dungeon crawler  (Read 454 times)
NFour
Level 0

Grow Old or Die Trying

View Profile WWW
« on: October 10, 2012, 06:05:27 PM »

Hi,
So I just started college and was kinda bored. I didn't have anything to do one weekend so my girlfriend said "Hey, you should spend the weekend making a game. I have a lot of work to do and by Monday I'll want something to play." So I did. And that's what this is.

So the majority of this little thing was made in that weekend. Graphics, engine, basic gameplay, etc. but most of the items and content came afterwards. Since it turned out to be one of my most complete-looking projects, I figured I'd post it somewhere to get some feedback, and where better than the feedback forum! Smiley

Right now it just consists of a few getting-started levels and one or two very simple puzzles. I hope to later fill it with push-block puzzles galore, but I'm not very good at that yet.

I'm really bad at making levels, especially puzzles, so there is only a few right now...but I hope to get my friend to do some when he gets a chance. Though if others wanted to, I wouldn't mind that either Wink

Cut-Down Info about it's current state and plans:
    • Each door in the atrium (first room) will be 'unlocked' through the age-old mechanic of needing a tool to get through the door like a bomb or an arrow or something.
    • The ghost guy will always follow you through the level, but will only hurt you when you are < half health, so find a potion quick!
    • Bosses will probably end up acting a lot like the ghost in that they won't conform to the map grid, and will be much larger than 1 tile
    • There isn't any armor yet Sad
    • Yes, falling down a hole forces you to go back to the atrium, not a bug Wink
    • The only playable level-tree is the bottom left door. The bottom right door is just a debug/testing room.
    • Swiping is a fun attack technique that doesn't put you in as much risk of getting hurt. You do it by pressing the arrow keys in a clockwise motion like this:

There is also a level editor, you can use it by running the jar with -e, though since most of this game was made in the first weekend, the levels are hard coded so you can't actually play any levels you make Sad

Also, if anyone happens to be a gaming student at RIT New York pop me a message Smiley

Download: Executable Jar
    Controls and such are in the README

Any comments about anything are welcome Smiley
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 07:32:45 PM by billythegoat101 » Logged
    Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic