Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 08:21:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMori
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Mori  (Read 8945 times)
christopf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2015, 05:24:28 AM »

so after some talking with a good friend and reconsidering what i wanted with the game in the first place i' going back to some original thoughts. the possibility of hitting/attacking and jumping was useful once but after i cut off some key elements for that i dropped those as well.
for now i want mori to be more exploration, also in a traditional understanding, and even more atmospheric. without the rpg/jump'n'run elements i feel like finding some new strength and i'm happy with that.

to push the exploration layer i'm working on some pictures/carvings that appear at certain spots that can trigger some illustrative pictures..
(like this)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 05:35:17 AM by Christopf » Logged

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2015, 07:23:23 AM »

Looks very nice!

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2015, 11:22:10 AM »

Glad to hear back from this nice project!

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Eric Winebrenner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2015, 12:34:21 PM »

I love seeing rare pixel densities like this that walk the line between pixel art and a hand drawn style. Also that apple core character is my favorite thing right now <3

christopf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2015, 09:55:54 PM »

<3
thank you!

christopf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2015, 06:44:02 AM »

so, what's the state?

i did some animations and added them to the game.
one animation for the time mori is old and transition into humus and another one for a small worm that comes out of the ground to give you a hint where to find a painting. i hope that makes it easier and not totally random where to find them (he appears when you get near and disappears when you dissociate.
here is an example missing the whole he lefts and the state where he hides (if you get too close to him).

so far everything is working and i managed to fix all bugs that i knew off (except those i cant remember now).
today is a friend coming who did the song that is already implemented and we will see if we get some more music and sounds done. he is living a few hundred miles away and we dont see that often, so let's hope this is going to be a productive time together.

what is missing are more paintings giving you some kind of deeper understand of the world and mori's history + a humifying animation for the apple. maybe some additional tweaks and some more polishing but i feel confident this game ain't disappearing into the graveyard and is playable soon.
(although i will have 2 months with my daughter starting in a few days and won't find that much time and energy to work on it like right now, we will see).

and thanks again to you guys showing some interest here. that's giving me some extra energy and motivation.
definitely something i learned from making a devlog. =))

archgame
Level 2

I program architecture and build video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2015, 04:35:15 AM »

I really like the whimsical art style and I'm glad you are focusing on exploration instead of jumping/fighting, hopefully it will push the gameplay to be something really new and unique.

Where did you get the idea for this art direction btw? I'd love to find other things with this vibe.

Can't wait for a video play through, keep the gifs coming!

christopf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2015, 06:15:33 AM »

thank you arch.
what you mean by art direction? i'm not sure if i already illustrated the idea behind all this, how it evolved. but if you mean by art direction only the visual level i think it's a strongly personal reflection of my life beside game writing. being in a csa, liviing vegan and being strongly political when i consume are probably elements that influenced the art direction. well, if i re-read this it's probably a normal description of influence xD

CoreGG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2015, 06:17:02 AM »

Love the pixel art mate, keep on Wink

IVOX - A New puzzle game!
archgame
Level 2

I program architecture and build video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2015, 08:29:56 AM »

I was talking about the visual level, I had similar thoughts to Eric Winebrenner in that your art appears to be between pixel art and hand drawn. I wonder if you were actually going for hand drawn but then the resolution or gaming engine prompted it to take a more pixel aesthetic.

I was curious because your character proportions resemble Arnold from Hey Arnold and the pixel style reminds me of OMOCAT's

game (both things I really enjoy).

I can see this visual style coming form a csa/vegan lifestyle, keep it up!

christopf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2015, 03:54:14 AM »

@CoreGG ty! <3

@Archgame i come from the analog painting world but when i started gamedev 2 years ago i decided to adapt the tools coming along while making games. back then i decided the most original style would be doing the pixels, i mostly dont like the attempt to put the analog into the digital 1:1. today i've different opinions about this but mori started in that era so i stick to it.
also i love asymmetry and trashy lines, like hundertwasser said: there are no straight lines in nature. he meant it way more radical then me but i like failures in drawing, so straight lines are hard to accomplish.

i didn't had arnold in mind but i definitly watched it too much in my childhood :D thanks for the omori tip, i will check this out (looks interesting).

---

digitalhoax
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2015, 11:22:52 AM »

Hand Knife Right
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2015, 02:46:23 PM »

I like how raw this looks.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2015, 02:57:10 PM »

I'm in love with the aesthetic here! It's rough in a really charming way.
christopf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2016, 07:30:56 AM »

So its finished i guess.
Last weeks i wrote a short-story, somewhat like lore, to give the players the chance getting deep into my thoughts and feelings behind all this. Although most readers found it super cool, my most-trusted critic gave me a slap and told me to get more into writing first. She nailed my feelings and i decided to go with that honest comment. It's probably to become something on its own but still connected to the game. We will see. Maybe nothing happens.

But here is the game:
https://topf.itch.io/mori

Critics are welcomed.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2016, 02:31:27 PM »

!!!!!!' fuck! im gonna play the shit out of this once im done with my work this week. will get back to you with thoughts

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2016, 02:56:14 PM »

Can't believe this is finished! The demo had so much character, I'm sure the full version's gonna be lovely.
christopf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2016, 10:35:14 PM »

:>
Thank you for the kind words.

I hope you ain't dissappointed, since there aren't "that" much of changes, since the game is very conceptual and less narrative/gamey.

christopf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2016, 02:39:02 AM »

Btw i'm working on a new game but i didn't find the time to have a devlog-worthy devlog for mori, so i think i won't do one for the new game.
I could imagine to write sometimes some sum-ups for things i wrote, like custom gravity. hm, for those a devlog would be nice. we will see!
but for the time being you can follow the development on my twitter.

short summary:
i 3d scanend my body and made a thirdperson/firstperson camera script, as well as one for gravity. after that i implemented online multiplayer for this. it's my first time for doing 3d as well as unity, and c# as well :D but i get going.
for now you can walk with your friends and strangers on my body, explore my anus or just enjoy the view from one arm to the other. i focus on exploration only right now and next think will be different characters (for the up to 10 players per body), followed by adding details to the body.

here is an earlier not yet multiplayer build. i'm struggling with releasing the online build yet since i can only have 20 players online with the free unet package. think i have to keep it that way until release or beta-testing.

http://christophschnerr.cool/dunno/1606/erotic/0616allSoErotic.html
(forgot to hide the cursor in that version so the camera movement might feel be a bit awkward)

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2016, 08:41:47 AM »

The perfect loop of that gif had me watching it for a good 10 minutes in suspense for something to happen. Wonderful visuals though and it would be really interesting to hear about how you designed the custom gravity?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic