Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 07:28:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTiny Universe: The Missing Planet (Minimalist Pixel Sci-Fi Adventure / Shooter)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tiny Universe: The Missing Planet (Minimalist Pixel Sci-Fi Adventure / Shooter)  (Read 711 times)
bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2016, 01:13:07 AM »

Tiny Universe: The Missing Planet

================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

Hey everybody!

Longtime lurker on TIGsource, really excited to post a devlog. My name is James (Seattle, WA), and I'm composing and designing the sound effects for Tiny Universe. I met Adrien (the artist / developer, from Brazil) through Adventure Game Jam 2016 when he was looking for music for his project. We ended up not submitting due to life constraints, but everything we've already started to work on has become the catalyst + foundation for Tiny Universe! Just wanted to start showing it off a little bit and keeping you all informed on the process while we see this to completion.

Below is an entry from Adrien (he asked me to post this on his behalf to TIGsource)

(slightly edited / translated)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi people, my name is Adrien and I'm 36 years old (yeah I’m old, too old for this shit?). I’m noob at developing games, I finally got it started, learning Unity and pixelart about a year ago now. After some game jams, I’ve decided to make a long term project, something that I really enjoy all steps of the game developing process. So lets kickstart this devlog by showing some rough ideas for Tiny Universe: The Missing Planet.

TU is a space adventure, top-down game with lots of action and puzzles. With a minimalist pixel art, this tiny pixel hero will have a whole universe to explore.

I started looking to participate in Adventure Game Jam 2016, so inspired by @PixelArtM  I started to mockup some scenes with this minimalist pixelart style.

Early mockup of the HUD display

So after really enjoy doing this, and had positive reactions on twitter, I started to imagine that world and mechanics for the game. I gathered some films and games references (Bladerunner, Matrix, Enemy Mine, THX-1138, Xeodrifter, Mass Effect, etc.)

I spend a lot of time to make this run and gun cycle. Usuing such few pixels is hard!

I really enjoy with the result, let me know you think about it. At the beginning I started with the 8 directions idea, its hard to put a gun in hand and animate it so I came with a companion idea. Its a little fellow, a robot that followed the player and helps shoot things.

But now I realize that players may want to have guns too so I don’t know if i’ll keep the 8 directions, have to test if up/down/left/right is enough and when shooting in diagonals it don’t feel clumsy. If you have any ideas let me know.

The running with diagonals cycle and some mockups

Well I think its enough now, next time I’ll talk about my struggles with camera system, unity ppu’s and dialog system. Here my rough animation (already in unity engine) of the game’s intro.

(wip)

Best,

Adrien

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We'll be updating with news / gifs / progress for a while, we eventually want to get greenlight + a kickstarter campaign, so be on the lookout Shocked) I'll also be posting tracks if you'd like to hear them, there will be a mix of chiptune and really spacey ambiance, here's the title theme (which is much of the latter):

reaching (Title Theme):
click here!

Thanks a ton for checking this out, we'll be posting more in the future. Feel free to shoot either of us a message at our respective links or just post in here and I'll be sure to relay info to Adrien!

Cheers,

- James

================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================
Twitter:
@didgameboy - Adrien
@jcamposerbell - me

E-mail:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic