Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411593 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 09:59:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTwin Reaper - 2D overhead shooter x2
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Twin Reaper - 2D overhead shooter x2  (Read 11695 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: February 24, 2012, 04:55:38 PM »

Demo now available: http://rydia.net/udder/prog/twin/index.html

Holy crap it's another Udderdude game.  Another one?!  That's right.  How many of these can I make before I completely lose my mind?!  LET'S FIND OUT! D:

In Purger, you run around shooting stuff and it's basically Doom-ish.  There's a lot of focus on using the right weapon to kill the enemy with, and different enemy attack patterns/movement.

In Possessor, you're a ghost.  A paticuarly angry and pissed off one.  Your goal is to possess human marines and personnel on some random unspecified military base in order to kill them all and collect their delicious souls.

When you possess a human, after 15 seconds, the human automatically dies and you're free to go possess another human.

However if you die from something killing your possessed human, you also die.  In addition, staying in ghost form for too long will also cause you to die.  For the sake of some semibalance of plot, let's say it causes you to get sucked back into the spirit dimension. >_>

There is a lot of pressure to keep moving.  You have to keep jumping from human to human, killing them until you've collected all of the lost soul things and go to the next level.

The interesting part is that you don't only possess marines with big guns - you have to possess non-marine personnel in order to access various abilities.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 09:05:18 AM by Udderdude » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 06:11:20 PM »

Marine sprites.  I'm not the world's best artist, or sprite artist for that matter, so hopefully these are good enough to work with and make some additional sprites based on.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:27:03 AM »

Megaderp moment #346727612 : I got the possession working and fired a shot .. the shot proceeded to blow up my possessed enemy instantly.  I had forgot to ignore collision between player bullets and the possessed enemy.

Oops.

Hopefully I will have some footage to show off soon.
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 01:54:05 PM »

Marine sprites.  I'm not the world's best artist, or sprite artist for that matter, so hopefully these are good enough to work with and make some additional sprites based on.

I fancy these  Gentleman

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 02:43:39 PM »

Here's a first look at the possession.  You can see that after I possess the marine, the other marines don't think anything is out of the ordinary until I start firing on them.  You can also see the possession eventually wear off, and then in ghost form I run out of time and lose.

sabajt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 04:24:13 PM »

you are an actually-finishing-games machine   Hand Thumbs Up Right

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 11:59:09 AM »

Working on the marines at the moment.  The marine AI is working pretty well, and I have pathfinding added.  I hope to have all the marines finished soon and move on to the personnel.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:24:25 AM by Udderdude » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 07:33:22 AM »

I've edited the music down and it's sounding quite sinister and evil.  May post one of the tracks later on.

The AI for the marines and personnel is now complete.  It's getting somewhat complex, but not so much that you can't figure it out.  Basically, leaving survivors from an encounter with a possessed is bad news for you.  Personnel will seek out marines and alert them of what they saw.  Marines will immediately attack you if you possess another human near them.

Leave no survivors. :D
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 07:57:34 AM »

The mutants are creatures that will fight with the marines, and you.  You can't possess them.  They will also attack you as soon as you possess a human, regardless of if you've encountered them before.  They're really slow, but take a lot of damage before they die.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 01:22:58 PM »

Finally got this working .. the marines and mutants will now fight it out even without your involvement.  Here's a quick clip showing them fighting eachother .. :p

I have all of the units working properly, time to start actually making some levels. 
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:54:17 PM by Udderdude » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 12:53:25 PM »

I've put up a demo version of the game.  It doesn't have finished floor or wall art yet, but it'll get there.  There's 8 levels so far, the final demo will have 10.  Please leave feedback and if there's any bugs.

http://rydia.net/udder/prog/twin/index.html
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:44:42 PM by Udderdude » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 04:06:52 PM »

After working on the game all day, I have another demo version ready.  This one adds two new bot enemies, and a new game element.  Forcefields can be crossed while you possess a human, but not while you're a ghost.  I've also added the missing two levels for the demo.  And of course, a metric buttload of bug fixes, optimization, etc.

Any feedback is appreciated.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:44:47 PM by Udderdude » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 07:47:19 PM »

Lots of big stuff happening.  I decided to add a Doom-ish game called Purger, and rename it to Twin Reaper.  Possessor and Purger are now selectable when you start the game.

Purger is much more like a standard overhead shooter where you're killing stuff.  I tried to add a lot of enemy variety (12 enemies!), and hopefully it's interesting enough to play and make some cool levels out of. 

Hypnohustla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 01:58:13 AM »

The gameplay felt solid, but the backgrounds seemed like an odd choice? They looked a bit boring and I felt I had to spend a few seconds at every level just to locate the player.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 03:48:49 AM »

Glad you liked the gameplay.

I'm still working on the background and wall art.  There should be background tiles added in the next update.

I may increase the Purger player graphic contrast or color.  Possessor has a giant red/white ring and glow around your ghost/possessed targets, so I don't think there's a problem there.

Edit: I've made a quick update, the Purger player now has a circle around him also, and has a higher contrast sprite.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:18:32 AM by Udderdude » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 06:15:51 AM »

Yet another update, mostly changes effecting Purger.  No background tiles yet .. I'll add them soon.

- Player speed slightly increased
- 1-2 more enemies in the Green levels
- 2 new enemies, the Dropper and Craze
- Pistol now costs no ammo and gets selected automatically if you don't have enough ammo for other weapons
- Chaingun now fires slower and costs more ammo
- Shotgun spread is tighter
- New weapon in slot 6 - the Blade is a close range (melee) weapon with no ammo cost
- All player bullets now have unique sprites
- Added a transparent light effect
- Added blood pools that slowly dissipate under defeated enemies
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:13:59 AM by Udderdude » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 06:53:49 PM »

Another day, more progress.  I've added fullscreen support.  It is pretty CPU heavy .. anyone got any tips for scrolling in Flash that doesn't eat all the CPU? :p
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 12:25:57 PM »

Short playthrough of a level I'm working on.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 09:58:18 AM »

Still adding more enemies, even though I'm not sure they're really necessary. lol

For Possessor, there's the Tank bot which is just a bigger, meaner bot.

For Purger, there's the Xeno which shoots a line of fast/slow shots and the Bloat, a huge ugly guy that spawns enemies and shoots all over.  Kill it quickly!
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »

Had to upload another demo version because of some bugs with Boom crates.  And some other bad stuff happening with enemies going in walls .. >_>

Recorded another level from Possessor.  It's pretty crazy already.  Unfortunately I forgot to record with sound on, so there's only the music overlayed in there.

The new Xeno and Bloat are visible here.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic