Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411673 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 05:17:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLift City - Competitive Shoplifting
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Lift City - Competitive Shoplifting  (Read 1277 times)
Nesfero
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2016, 10:31:46 AM »

Hey Everyone!
Welcome for the Devlog for LIFT CITY

Lift City is a local multiplayer game about competitive shoplifting. Players compete against other players and the AI to escape each level with the highest score.

GAMEPLAY

Each player takes control of a thief. As each round starts, each thief scrambles to steal as much as they can off of shelves in the store level. To gain more points quicker, thieves can break into restricted areas or unlock display cases to steal high value items. If another player or enemy gets in your way, a well timed dash can stun and cause them to drop cash. Traps can also be set around the level to deter enemy players and guide them right into the long arm of the law. But beware! If you get caught and arrested, your score is set to $0 and you are out for the rest of the round! Win a set amount of rounds and you're the victor!

In Short
  • Get in
  • Shop(Lift)
  • Get out
and don't get caught

DEVELOPMENT

This project started unofficially around April of this year, and has been in on and off dev for the past few months since.
Most of the gameplay is pretty much in and functional. Just getting to the phase where I can focus on efforts that aren't smoothing out bugs and getting Lift City ready for art assets. I want to create a tight, fun experience that can easily support mods and additional content for the players. Think Nuclear Throne or Relic Hunters Zero.

Lift City was inspired by a bunch of cool peeps and their games. Nuclear Throne, Monaco, Thief Town, Party Saboteurs, Crawl, Enter the Gungeon, and many more helped cement the ideas for Lift City.

What's left?
I want to say it's not a lot. But the game currently lacks these things:
  • Final Art
  • Final Music and SFX
  • Polish
  • More visual effects for player actions (juice)
  • better scene transitions
  • Online leaderboard
  • SWAT AI
  • A bit of a stretch, but I do want to implement some form of campaign/story mode

WHY WOULD I WANT THIS GAME?!?
  • It's fun
  • Local (and possibly online) multiplayer
  • Possible story mode?
  • Possible customizable characters?
  • "Competitive Shoplifting"
  • Beat up your friends
  • Beat up your enemies?

Looking forward to getting as much feedback as possible in the upcoming weeks! I've been working on this on and off for the past few months. Still looking for a pixel artist to work on the project. But feedback on potential gameplay and currently implemented features would be nice! I'm all ears and would like TIG to be a part of this!  Gomez

bgn_82
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 02:01:43 PM »

This is a really cool idea. Reminds me of that Newgrounds flash game "The Classroom" where you had to cheat off someone near you and not get caught. But with local multiplayer!

You should add a roaming shop keeper! Also, make it so certain items take some amount of time to steal, but are worth way more.
Nesfero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 02:06:18 PM »

Thanks! I'll give that a play!

Both of those are actually in the game right now! AI Enemies come in the form of store employees and police. The mixture of enemy types depends on how much ruckus is being caused. The items of higher value are trapped behind display cases that take a while to unlock. The more time it takes, the more value it is!

Glad you like it!
Nesfero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 09:56:18 AM »

Heyo everyone!

It's been a while since I've been able to post anything of note for the game. Hopefully with new art rolling in, we'll be able to share gifs and sprites!

We just got finished with our Second Pass of one playable character. She currently doesn't have a name, but she's got attitude!
Here's a gif of her interact and run cycles:

and here is the current spritesheet we're working with!

Hopefully more to post very soon! Updated gameplay gifs will come once all art has been revamped! Stay tuned  Shrug
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic