Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411593 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 09:07:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGalactagirl (Demo)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Galactagirl (Demo)  (Read 1834 times)
CosmicCrystal
Level 0

// GalactaGirl // HellStar Squadron //

View Profile WWW
« on: August 29, 2017, 06:05:30 PM »

Summary:

Join Galactagirl on a cosmic adventure to vanquish the evil Robot Racers and their mechanical minions! In this adrenaline-pumping action-platformer inspired by retro classics such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man and Ninja Gaiden you must aid Galactagirl in her quest to be the fastest in the galaxy and stop the invasion of the Galactic Homeworlds by the Robot Racers.

Galactagirl has an advanced moveset including wall jumps, target lock-ons, rail grinding, sliding and more, which allows for a variety of ways to traverse the environment and its many challenges. Move fast, react quickly, and chain your moves together to overcome obstacles, defeat enemies, and beat the levels in the quickest time!

Features:

- High speed platforming with a variety of movement abilities!

- Dastardly robotic enemies and bosses to defeat!

- Tons of explosions and particles and... explosions!

- Gorgeous retro-styled art and graphics!

- Options including windowed mode, volume control and a retro CRT shader!

Download Links:

Looking for whatever feedback you can provide in regards to the gameplay, art, sound and performance of the game. Anything you can provide you will be of help Smiley

Thanks for taking the time to check out Galactagirl!

Much love,
Cosmic Crystal Games

kitvonsnookerz
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 09:45:38 PM »

First, had a blast with the game its got some real potential.

I loved the art, the menu music was super catchy as well as all the music and art in the game. The most fun i had was chaining the lock on dashes with the ground pound through some rocks, killer moments from that and it feels very natural when you're going ESPECIALLY on a gamepad which I feel like is how this game was meant to be played. However every time I came to a sliding part I had to look at my controller to remember what the controls were for sliding. Whats more I really couldn't get my fingers over in time to slide. It really broke the flow but maybe its just me. Eventually I did get better at sliding but those moments were so far apart there wasn't a lot of practice.

The enemies are just cannon fodder for the dashing, I have to put it bluntly because i played to lv 3 (before i found a game breaking bug I'll mention later) and didn't find any enemies that I had a challenge killing or even made me change my play style. Just hold lock on and dash to them and they cant hurt me or do anything to counter. Which brings up another point, I held lock on the entire game. I didn't let go I just dashed from enemy to enemy. Don't get me wrong I love the mechanic its the core of the game and very fun, but it felt like there was no real choice there it was basically hold lock on to move faster and sort of drag Galactagirl through the stage. The best moments, I felt, were the ones where I locked on then ground pounded then locked on again, chaining a bunch of really fun actions on screen together to destroy the stage and kill enemies. I loved the different paths on the first 3 stages its was very fun but the lock on mechanic basically took me through the entire stage without getting damaged and not really exploring or trying to figure out how to defeat enemies or get around them, just trying to beat the clock.

SO during lv 3 (which some of the blocks there were a little confusing, couldn't tell the difference between background and level) after a little chime for what i assume was a secret area, i was going down the level when after a sliding section all of a sudden my character was gone. No idea what that was about but i think i clipped through the level. Wish i had recorded it or something i know that's probably not much to go on to find a bug like that.

OVERALL SUPER FUN I loved it cant wait to play more.

EDIT: OH and I completely forgot about and never used the reflect mechanic because I could just dash through the bolts, because the lock on dash basically makes you invulnerable and able to go through the terrain, so even if you weren't invulnerable you could just go under the bolts. I think I can count on one hand how much I was damaged on the first three stages, those damages were because I got too close to an enemy not because it shot me with a bolt which was everyone's form of attack.

I hope that was helpful!
EatThePath
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 07:04:23 PM »

I decided to give this a try and had a good deal of fun. Zooming along at high speeds generally feels great, with one exception I'll get into, and gave me good thoughts of Sonic. However I think there's room for improvement with the controls(I used keyboard), target-dashing into chains of enemies is good, run-jump-sliding-slashing is good, but switching between then feels really clunky. After hammering the attack button while locked to move, then running out of targets, my instinct is to keep hitting the same button to jump. Obviously this doesn't currently work, but I can't help feel the gameplay would flow better if it somehow did. I haven't had a lot of free thinking time to give this, but that's my gut feeling.

The game's a bit easy too, between the tons of invulnerability durring moves and the regenerating health. I imagine you don't want to slow things down that much, but right now it seems you have to work pretty hard to put yourself in any peril.

Finally, during the second level I did a slide into an enemy and ended up stuck in the floor. I took a screenshot. https://i.imgur.com/RZUNOXV.png

Making Atomic Space Race:
 Devlog thread | Project site | Youtube page
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic