Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 03:41:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)GIFs of games being worked on
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 297
Print
Author Topic: GIFs of games being worked on  (Read 1208840 times)
Schilcote
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: January 31, 2015, 10:00:43 PM »

Please explain how this isn't broad haha

Well, I imagine it depends heavily on what language you're using, but most of the steps there are one or two lines of Python code. The server would be a little bit complicated but it's still like a 30-minute job. I just take umbridge at the idea of "OMG networking i will never understund dis" because it's just like anything else; there are simple ways to do it and you can learn the more intricate systems if you need them.
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: January 31, 2015, 10:18:19 PM »

Well, I imagine it depends heavily on what language you're using, but most of the steps there are one or two lines of Python code. The server would be a little bit complicated but it's still like a 30-minute job. I just take umbridge at the idea of "OMG networking i will never understund dis" because it's just like anything else; there are simple ways to do it and you can learn the more intricate systems if you need them.

Exactly, you were giving him a broad example of networking!
(best suited for lan, since the server wasn't always right and it could be exploited galore)

I wouldn't expect somebody to go into full detail of the networking steps they'd have to take to setup an mmorpg.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #3382 on: January 31, 2015, 10:48:42 PM »

I think even though I overstated my point, we can all agree making a full blown mmorpg is a bit above the head of a single young hobbyist gamedev.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: January 31, 2015, 11:27:26 PM »

how did we got from network to mmo ?

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: February 01, 2015, 12:18:46 AM »

Quote from: Canned Turkey
WIP Corgi Roguelike.
Make it an mmorpg.

Quote from: Canned Turkey
I would if I understood netcode.
Gear
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: February 01, 2015, 02:16:59 AM »

It doesn't have to be multiplayer to have lots of Corgis, does it?
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3386 on: February 01, 2015, 02:16:59 AM »

X-Post

I also haven't ever dug into netcode. It's on my to-do list to learn, though.

Vadinci
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: February 01, 2015, 02:24:16 AM »

I love that signpost!
CandyFace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: February 01, 2015, 03:20:00 AM »

programming take no skill, it's application, the skill of programming is solving stuff, not making code, follow a tutorial and you will be done, if you can make food you can program!

Edit:
I want to add that I hate programming
That is dumb and incorrect.
When you dedicate and spend lots of time on something, you develop skills in what you are doing... Programming is not just problem solving, you have to choose a language, understand it, in most cases know fundamentals of math. Tutorials will only get you so far, and what you end up with in the end is most likely something you do not understand anyway. In the end you need to spend a lot of time on these things to understand and use it properly, and that leads to experience and "skills"
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:51:10 AM by CandyFace » Logged
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: February 01, 2015, 01:19:58 PM »

X-Post

I also haven't ever dug into netcode. It's on my to-do list to learn, though.

Those fans  are awesome, I'm excited to see what sort of puzzles you come up with!
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3390 on: February 01, 2015, 02:04:33 PM »

programming take no skill, it's application, the skill of programming is solving stuff, not making code, follow a tutorial and you will be done, if you can make food you can program!

Edit:
I want to add that I hate programming
That is dumb and incorrect.
When you dedicate and spend lots of time on something, you develop skills in what you are doing... Programming is not just problem solving, you have to choose a language, understand it, in most cases know fundamentals of math. Tutorials will only get you so far, and what you end up with in the end is most likely something you do not understand anyway. In the end you need to spend a lot of time on these things to understand and use it properly, and that leads to experience and "skills"

Programming is easy nonetheless, optimization is hard, it's easy to write inefficient code that does the jobs and is good enough ... Then you can ramp up to complex stuff LATER and those complex stuff IS problem solving.

When you are thinking about architecture of code you don't think directly about teh code but the concept of task relative to hardware (cache, pipeline, memory pattern, compiler quirks) OR mapping the task concept to software philosophy (DOD, OOP, etc ...). You can entirely speak these concept without even mentioning one language at all.

The only remotely difficult things with programation is the strange inconsistencies introduce by sugar coating the syntax so it's not tedious, and those are human induced complexity). Almost all (game oriented or used) languages can be reduced to BRANCH, DATA CONTAINER, I/O and EXPRESSION, and you can do everything with that.

Then on top you have sugar for specific philosophy such as objects, components, etc ... That are only complicated because of the weird ideological limitation that are put in them (do you want multiple inheritance or not? event vs delegate?). THIS is teh part that scare beginner and expert can't stop bitching about. AND THOSE are barely relevant to "get things done".

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3391 on: February 01, 2015, 07:40:34 PM »

Solarlune that looks fantastic! I want to play, it looks really fun, and I love the graphics!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3392 on: February 01, 2015, 08:56:39 PM »

Far too much tinkering tonight on my #jamforleelah submission. Already waaaaay too much other stuff I should be doing instead e.g. sleeping.

Interesting that there's a dialogue going with the GIFs! For the stuff that I did, the easiest way I learnt to program was:
A: Using visual scripting to grasp the basics of programming (Stencylworks)
B: Teach it to 7-17 year olds till the screams of a million questions conditioned my brain into knowing what I'm doing.
C: With the accumulated knowledge of time teaching, apply it to building games.
D: Make a stack of about 50 prototypes, see which ones people like and build full versions in something like Gamemaker (Whenever they release a non lite version for Mac, le sigh)

For me at least, it's whatever language/tool that gets to something playable and fun the quickest, as that's usually what drives me to code/actually get stuff done. I was working with one of the teams of students I teach and they had 4 warriors in an arena with a simple walk animation (with 4 controllers hooked up). Although there was no in game mechanics in place, I got them playing a bunch of playground games (Tig, Bulldog, Duck Duck Goose) in game to get them laughing and having fun with what they'd made. Time will tell this week to determine if that's spurred them to get something awesome done this week!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 09:19:26 PM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: February 01, 2015, 09:26:30 PM »

^ That blocky background reminds me of Bladerunner so much  Kiss

Nothing special, just some trees, grass, boulders and dirt.

I'm pondering real-time vs turn based gameplay.. and whether I want to stick with the single color per tile look or not!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 09:43:31 PM by Kitheif » Logged
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3394 on: February 02, 2015, 05:27:54 AM »

Right stick aiming, name of the game......ing.

Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3395 on: February 02, 2015, 10:30:09 AM »

Love that!

pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3396 on: February 03, 2015, 01:19:23 AM »

Super JumpKick Turbo - An open source DiveKick clone. Currently using graphics from SNK Vs Capcom.

Currently working on getting network play working properly

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 01:28:33 AM by pmprog » Logged
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3397 on: February 03, 2015, 02:27:54 AM »

Thanks, everyone! Gonna be done hopefully tomorrow or the next day. Hope the puzzles are up to snuff, haha.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3398 on: February 03, 2015, 08:09:24 AM »

Still needs a bit more work, but I guess the basic timing is there.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3399 on: February 03, 2015, 03:23:37 PM »

Skeles don't bleed mate, no matter how hard your piercing strike them.
Looks pretty good though. All the tweening works surprisingly well, lets you get away with way fewer frames.

Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 297
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic