Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411561 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 04:18:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationMinus [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Minus [FINISHED]  (Read 81527 times)
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2008, 11:46:15 AM »

I really think this looks a lot more awesome than when it was an amorphous squiggle.  I love the cute litte... um... thingy.   Smiley

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2008, 01:13:31 PM »

Is it a flower, is it a Roman helmet, is it an indian or is it just a..... thingyfoo?   Grin

"Fun is rule."
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2008, 01:26:52 PM »

I love the background, but I'm not so sure about the text. Here's a dirty quick sketch as a suggestion (hope you don't mind).

(I obviously don't mean you should kill the background with an airbrush like that :D)

Is it a flower, is it a Roman helmet, is it an indian or is it just a..... thingyfoo?   Grin

I'm pretty sure it's the bunny-like character (Minus) that he showed us earlier.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2008, 04:14:34 PM »

I love the background, but I'm not so sure about the text. Here's a dirty quick sketch as a suggestion (hope you don't mind).

(I obviously don't mean you should kill the background with an airbrush like that :D)

I'll see if I can do anything like that. but it's not my main concern.

Also, you're right.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
increpare
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2008, 04:25:30 PM »

I agree with you Kao about the text.
Corpus
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2008, 04:27:09 PM »

I agree with you Kao about the text.
I agree with you increpare about agreeing with Kao about the text.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2008, 10:08:07 AM »

I am generally in agreement with everything said here.

olücæbelel
the_depraved
Level 1

Smile like a donut.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2008, 10:16:20 AM »

I am generally in agreement with everything said here.

agreed.

up down left right upper cut.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2008, 10:57:56 AM »

Doubt the text will be changed. I'm on a very tight schedule here, and not everything's working properly. But after the compo, perhaps.

Personally, while it's an interesting game, I don't feel I made the best use of procedural generation in order to diversify the gameplay. I'd probably need to add more possible elements or variations to the existing ones. If time allows I'll do my best to diversify what's already there.

Well, it still looks good for a 2 week effort, and I'm proud of several aspects of it.

Expect to see it Saturday or Sunday afternoon (my time).

EDIT: Well, as far as the competition goes it's pretty much done. I don't feel it's really all that interesting but I should be posting it tonight, once I find a proper song and finish one more sprite.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 08:00:15 AM by Melly » Logged

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2008, 05:37:48 PM »

Minus is mostly done. At least as done as it will be for the competition:

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.filedropper.com/minus_1

since I still have around 2 days before the true deadline I want all the feedback you guys can give me. If there's anything I can improve in the time I have I will.

Oh, and I hope you guys enjoy it. Grin

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2008, 07:59:38 PM »

Minus is so cute! Wow. Favourite Character. In a while. Visually. I want to see more of [It].

The entire game is all soft and cuddly. But, maybe say at the start that there's a goal to reach? First time I played I was just jumping up, and then down, and then up again. Also, is there any point to combo-ing other than end score? Just wondering.

This just in: We met an owl! Wow. But he didn't say anything. Sad. And lightning clouds. Oh dear. How many random factors are there in this? Lots? We hope there's lots. Then We'll play it lots!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 08:01:25 PM by Gainsworthy » Logged
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2008, 08:09:35 PM »

I've had people mentioning that the levels are too high and seem endless at first. I'll work on that. But they do have an end.

And yay, you found a secret! Grin

As for comboing, I admit it doesn't seem all too obvious what effect it has. Basically, it's good to try and keep combos of 3 and higher, especially as you go through hazards, as you're invincible that way. I'm still working on how I can better use it, and I haven't properly worked out any kind of scoring system. Any suggestions?

Not as many factors as I wanted at first exist, really. Any ideas for new ones?

Glad you enjoy it.

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2008, 07:27:57 AM »

If there's anything I can improve in the time I have I will.

Well. On one hand, it's quite cute and once you get into it, it's pretty fun - the whole experience gels together very nicely, and the mechanics mostly seem pretty solid.

On the other hand, I didn't feel any particular urge to go back and try again after the first couple of goes, 'cause the game didn't explain itself to me.

I think I'd mostly put this down to a lack of any real indicator of progress. I have no idea half the time whether I'm 99% of the way through the level or just 5%, but without any clues as to how well I'm doing compared to last time I don't feel encouraged to "try and do a little bit better". If I knew I was getting a little bit higher each time I tried it would be a start, but even then without knowing how tall the stage is it really isn't that much less disheartening. I've finished it a couple of times, and I still don't really have much of a sense of how far through a stage I am at any one time. I suspect this is probably the same thing as you mention other people have said, that the levels are "too high and seem endless at first".

Combos I think probably need more explanation, on the title screen or in a readme or something. It wasn't until I'd come back and read more of this thread that I realised they existed at all, 'cause the sedate pace of the music and the satisfying arc of the jump were if anything encouraging me to take it slowly. I'd not have worked out the three-or-higher-makes-you-invincible at all, I don't think, and I'm still not sure as to how exactly they work. I mean, I figure that once you start moving downward you lose the combo, but can you jump a second time at any point during the upward motion? Does attempting jumping introduce a dead period during which you can't try again? Presumably his feet need to be over the white section of a cloud to jump from it, but even then... sometimes I seemed to be able to jump immediately after the previous one, sometimes not. If anything, the short lookahead distance and the height of the jump discourages me from comboing anyway, 'cause there's always the chance I'll jump up blind, find that the only available cloud's on the other side of the screen and I can't reach it, then fall downward suddenly-vulnerable into an unavoidable swarm of red spiky things.

(Similarly, what are the rules for falling? Sometimes I seemed to not be able to jump upward again as I fell through a cloud, and sometimes I could.)

The thundery clouds confused me a little. Sometimes it seemed I could stand on them fine, other times they hurt me. Do they hurt just when they flash?

What would I change to try and improve these? I think probably:

- Increase and/or make more visible the sparkly effects you get from being invulnerable. Consider making Minus knock the red spiky things out of the way (complete with black flashing on them the same way you get when you're injured) when you come into contact with one while invincible, just to reinforce that there's an effect there.

- Stop centring the window on Minus himself; centre it on Minus when he's not moving, then as his upward velocity increases centre it a quarter or third of the screen up from Minus. Similiarly, as he falls centre it a third of the screen down from him.

- Introduce some kind of altimeter or percent-progress bar (or other indicator). Possibly with a marker on it showing your best progress so far for that seed, so you can see when you're improving.

- Write a readme. ;-)

Also, the 'close window' X doesn't work. Sad

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2008, 08:42:30 AM »

This is REALLY good. Better than I imagined.

A scoring system would definitely be awesome. Basically anything that will provide motivation to make it to the end would be good. Sar's progress bar idea would work well.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2008, 08:46:40 AM »

New version:

http://www.filedropper.com/minus_2

Change: has an altimeter.

I haven't had much time to work on it, so only that change so far. Thanks for the feedback. Thing is, I kind of like the idea of the player not knowing everything right off the bat and figuring out some stuff on his own, so I didn't say anything about the invincibility in-game, and I probably shouldn't have said here, but what's done is done, I guess. The same goes for the combo and the clouds, though I'll see if I can make it more obvious when you lose the combo.

About the camera, I'll see if I can change that. The way I coded this it might be tough, but I agree it can be a problem so I'll work on it. Thanks for the tip.

Also, I'm aware the 'X' window button isn't working. Game Maker seems to only be able to make it work if you have Esc quit your game instantly from anywhere, which sucks. I left the window border because I imagine people would want to move the window around and minimize it. Sorry about that, and if any GM user knows how to fix this it'd be very much appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 08:51:53 AM by Melly » Logged

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2008, 10:27:59 AM »

This is wonderful! I love the whole atmosphere of the game.

I think I might have chosen some bad seed numbers though, because in the levels I played I only encountered the basic enemy (no thunder clouds or owls or anything else Sad ). It might be worth suggesting a few good seeds at random on the title screen instead of asking the user to input one?

Anyway, nice work! Smiley

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2008, 10:32:34 AM »

I started with '1234' and got more thunderclouds than I could shake a rabbit at. I think more than I've seen on any other seed since. ;-)

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2008, 10:34:45 AM »

The owl is a secret Terry. Tongue

I'll also add a "insta-random seed button"

increpare
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2008, 11:41:46 AM »

AH: fun!  Is there a reason you didn't use something like the thunder-cloud trail effect on normal clouds?
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2008, 11:58:02 AM »

AH: fun!  Is there a reason you didn't use something like the thunder-cloud trail effect on normal clouds?

What trail effect exactly are you talking about? The little particles that float as you pass through a cloud? Those are in all clouds, stormy or not.

Also, would like to note that the latest build may have an oddity in which when you first see a storm cloud it'll be coloured purple instead of black. Sorry about that. Tongue
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 12:00:17 PM by Melly » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic