Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 03:54:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWIP: Legends of Yore
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: WIP: Legends of Yore  (Read 16157 times)
kevglass
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 05:18:36 AM »

Sorry the link probably isn't very obvious, it's available here:

http://www.legendsofyore.com/jars/legendsofyore-227.zip

The link is underneath the applet. I'll change that on the website in a mo.

Kev

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 09:14:04 AM »

Okay, thoughts as I go:

* The new dungeon decorations (skulls, bones, water & etc) look awesome and add a lot.

* I noticed you could walk over the water tiles but not the lava tiles. I don't know if you are supposed to walk over the water which is why I mentioned it. Could you put some sort of swamp / poison tiles in the dungeon that would damage the player 1 HP / step to mix it up too?

* Rage still cools off really fast, would it be possible to reduce rage at a 1 point / 3 steps instead of 1:1?

* My warrior got a leather helmet but it says he couldn't use it. Then I got another leather helmet a few floors down and I was able to equip both helmets then. I'm not sure why this happened, maybe you have a leather helmet on the 1st floor tagged as something other than head equipment (?)

* Skeleton Archers are great! Projectile enemies add a lot to this game.

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
kevglass
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 10:00:43 AM »

The leather helmet is a level 4 item, you can't use it til then. However, the message obviously isn't clear, I'll update it Smiley

Thanks for the feedback!

Kev

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 02:01:29 PM »

I had a go with the browser applet version, playing as a warrior, and it hung when I tried to go up the stairs out of the first level of dungeon again.

Then I had a several goes with the Android version, as an archer, and found the same bug - the game hangs when I try and exit the top level of dungeon. I've only managed to successfully exit from a dungeon once (I think it was the graveyard one, which I probably also entered, but I'm not sure 'cause my phone ran out of batteries as soon as I got topside)...

Also (only seen on Android, not tried on web), whenever I try and equip leather gloves the game crashes out with a force-quit (as opposed to a hang for the dungeon-exit bug).

The interface mostly works pretty well on Android, but it's hampered a little by the cost of mis-taps; that is, if I try and shoot at an archer in the distance but accidentally tap the square next to him, my guy will walk right up to the square next to the enemy archer - all the while being shot by him - without any chance of stopping it. It might be worth only allowing a tap to traverse a single square when there are active enemies on-screen, or within a certain radius, or attacking the player or something?

It would also be really useful to be able to pan the map. Along similar lines, it might be nice to mark the point-of-entry to this level on the map somewhere; at least once I've been wandering around a large level for ages looking for a locked door and/or a key, eventually given up and gone for the stairs, only to get the idea (possibly wrong?) that there's more than one set of upward-leading stairs...

It also seemed to me that the archer had it a lot easier than the warrior - with the warrior, I'd cleared the first-level dungeon and had something like 1 apple and 1 red potion left, and wasn't quite at full health; by contrast, having cleared the first level with the archer I had full health and something like 5 apples and 7 red potions - they seem to be all over the place when playing as archer.

There were several places that a save feature was mentioned, but it's not particularly clear how that happens? I gather that it happens whenever you go up or down stairs, but I've only noticed the message once.

The login appears to have a case-sensitive username, which I'd advise against.

Anyway, I had lots of critique 'cause this is a feedback thread, not 'cause I didn't ike it. Overall it seems like a pretty cool little roguelike, it's certainly fun and engaging - and it's nice to see something like this being made available on mobile devices, as well... although I can see my battery lifetime going down imminently!

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
kevglass
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 12:18:29 AM »

Thanks for the amazing feedback! I've covered the ones I can quickly, I'm looking at the design for the touch interface with respect to archers.

Uploaded a fix version:

- Fix crash on level change
- Fix hang on coming up to overland
- Rage cools slower
- Water tiles block
- Message for level check on items improved
- Leather gloves bug fixed
- Can now pan the map
- Username case insensitive
- Username/Password minimum length

Kev

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 04:04:43 AM »

Hey kev, I'm an absolute 'tard when it comes to Java. Do you know what file(s) exactly I'd have to install on my home computer with no internet in order to run the game? I think it said 1.5 something or other but I can't remember the exact name.

Thanks!

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
kevglass
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 04:25:59 AM »

You'll need Java 1.5+ (grab this from www.java.com) (or download an archive from: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html)

And then you'll need the zip file for the game. If you want to keep your saves just copy across the save.properties or extract the game over the old version.

Kev

kevglass
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 05:04:37 AM »

Another quick update to add tooltips when dragging your finger/mouse across the screen to let you know whats going to happen. Should help with inaccurate clicks/touches.

Also updated Android market.

Kev

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 05:12:18 AM »

Thank you!

Another bug to report, this is a big one from the standalone .exe from yesterday. I fought a skeleton archer and got a willow bow, which says it is not made for me (a warrior). I clicked on it for shits and giggles and it unequipped my starting sword. So now technically speaking I had no weapon equipped. When I went to fight more enemies I shot an arrow. Actually, I shot a ton of arrows as it now thinks I have the bow equipped but shows I have no weapons on. Here are 2 screenshots, the 2nd is what my inventory says yet I'm still shooting arrows on the game screen:

Also does the blue icon next to the sword / shield stats represent level to use? I thought it was magic resist / power at first, maybe if you made it a blue "L" or something instead? Just a suggestion, your game rules as is.  Hand Knife Right Ninja Hand Knife Right

My warrior can use the willow bow that's not for him.
It looks like he's bare handed in the subscreen.

kevglass
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 05:20:51 AM »

Hmm, ok, I was intending to let the player use weapons that arn't designed for him (i.e. warrior uses bow) but with a penalty. I guess the feedback on the inventory screen is broken. Thanks for the heads up!

Kev

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 05:39:59 AM »

Hmm, ok, I was intending to let the player use weapons that arn't designed for him (i.e. warrior uses bow) but with a penalty. I guess the feedback on the inventory screen is broken. Thanks for the heads up!

Kev

No, that's a good idea but since the bow's border was red I thought it was something I couldn't equip at all (ex. how gear in Diablo has a red background when your STR or something is too low you can't equip it at all). Maybe when you equip something at a penalty it'd still show a green background? EDIT: Nevermind, the way you have it now is good when you get used to it.

Oh and I know you didn't ask for it but if you need any help for graphics let me know and I can try to emulate the Assemblee style. I have a shitload of gear ideas for you too if you're interested. Can you tell I like this game?  Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:59:37 AM by Del_Duio » Logged

kevglass
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 06:08:26 AM »

I've changed it slight so the red-outline just indicates that using the item would either be impossible or at a penalty. Green is when you've got it equipped but it will warn you then.

Also just updated the item level mini-icon and fixed a couple of tiny things.

All updated, and uploaded to the Android Market.

As to help with art and ideas, always appreciated. Oryx has been nice enough to offer some help as well. Really nice community here guys Smiley Brain dump ideas into the devlog thread by all means, all and any appreciated.

Next on my list is tasks, quests and story segments - oh and of course yet more content Smiley

Kev

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 06:58:13 AM »

Awesome!

Well I guess with brainstorming, it'd be helpful to know a little bit more about the behind the scenes workings of LoY. For example, how are your enemies set up? Do they all have HP / ATK / DEF / XP / Loot drop variables or is it a lot more than that? Are all enemies assigned a "type", i.e. Undead, Insect, Humanoid, etc. If you have enemies tied to general types than I would totally suggest implimenting gear to exploit them.

Many games of course have done this. Ultima Online had the Slayer weapons which dealt extra damage vs. a particular type of enemy. In your game a rare weapon vs. undead somebody found in a barrel would be very useful in the top level of the dungeon due to the high number of skellies and ghosts. The damage could be something like +3, or if you wanted you could have it be level-based bonus damage like (+1 / 3 character levels).

Take what you already have and build upon it. You know what would be cool? How about a Demonic Axe that grows in power the further down the dungeon you go, closer to hell or whatever? Have the damage bonus tie directly into the tier of the dungeon at (+2 per level - 1) or something like that. Have a magical ring that allows a character to use an item from another class with zero penalty. Or a potion of invisibility that lasts for 30 moves / turns and the enemies won't pursue the character around. A magic necklace that doubles XP earned from enemies. A wand that has a small chance to morph an enemy into a pile of gold?

How's about a suit of holy armor that's 4 defense but counts as 6 defense against skeletons? A special shield that can block enemy arrows? Boots that allow for 2 moves to every 1 enemy move? (might be tough to code, I dunno). A cursed helmet that subtracts 10 max HP but grants +1 rage point every time the guy gets attacked? A venemous bow that hits an enemy and causes a poison tile to appear below it which can damage other monsters that walk on top of it? A trinket that converts your gold to XP or vice-versa?

I also think you have room on the lower right side of the screen for another option under the Turn Skipped icon. What if this was a screen that listed enemy kills and special effects from spells / potions / and equipped gear?

Just some a ton of ideas!

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 08:47:59 AM »

Okay, the first gear graphics are done. I PM'd you the link.

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 04:16:14 AM »

More bugs:

* The defense value doesn't go up when you equip the leather helmet or armor. For a warrior it still says 3. I read up on the way you're handling ATK and DEF rolls with the dice set up with skulls and shields so maybe these protect you in some other way (?)

* I don't know how, but during one playthrough yesterday my maximum rage was set to 0 at one point and wouldn't fill. When I restarted the game and pressed continue it was fine so the wonky max variable might be something floating around in RAM and isn't permanently saved.

* I got down to tier 8 of the dungeon and won a key off an enemy, but never saw a locked door or exit to escape the level. I went back up the stairs to tier 7 and back down and again won a key but no exit. Is tier 8 the deepest the dungeon goes right now or is this a bug?

Ideas:

* You already have the mechanics in there with the ogre to allow for walls to be destroyed. Maybe you could add a bomb / powder keg type of item that could allow for players to blow up walls or monsters?

* Maybe you could have a magic key be for sale at the spell shop that doesn't disappear when you use it. It would act like a normal door key but might be helpful to players deep in the dungeon with low HPs who can't risk attacking monsters and getting a key the normal way. Or instead of a magic key maybe you could create an Open Lock scroll like the Tome of Town Portal and sell that to players.

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 06:44:47 AM »

Sorry for all the posts, here's one more bug. This staircase spawned in the center of lava and you can't walk to it. This was in the graveyard dungeon south of town, first floor.

kevglass
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 09:51:54 AM »

I also think you have room on the lower right side of the screen for another option under the Turn Skipped icon. What if this was a screen that listed enemy kills and special effects from spells / potions / and equipped gear?

Unfortunately that space is used by the on screen cursors for the mobile versions.

Kev

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2011, 10:00:51 AM »

Unfortunately that space is used by the on screen cursors for the mobile versions.

Which, as it goes, already get in the way a bit! ;-)

Another irritation-but-not-a-bug thing, which I noticed last night; when selling off equipment in town, if you sell a kind of equipment that you're using, it doesn't seem to make any distinction between the one you have equipped and all the other ones in your inventory; it might be nice to either refuse to sell the equipped one until you de-equip it, or at least just make sure it's the last one sold. I had one scary moment where I went into town to sell all the bows I'd accumulated from killing skeleton archers, got into a fight in the graveyard and suddenly couldn't fire arrows, and took a hell of a long time defeating the skeleton in hand-to-hand... it was only afterward that I realised I just didn't have my remaining bow equipped, it wasn't that I'd sold the last one!

kevglass
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2011, 10:34:39 AM »

Noted, cheers!

About the cursors, would you like an option to turn them off if you don't use them?

Kev

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 12:15:26 PM »

About the cursors, would you like an option to turn them off if you don't use them?

To be honest, it's not a huge problem - most of the time the bad guys are out from underneath them, and if they aren't they usually come closer soon enough anyway. But if it's an easy thing to do, I certainly wouldn't say no!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic