Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 12:24:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWires (demo)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Wires (demo)  (Read 1824 times)
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2011, 04:42:36 PM »

I made this for the Game Prototype Challenge v6, themes: electricity and closure.

This game is not complete, and although I used electricity a lot, there is no closure to speak of.

Newest version:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2u4c3mpsuhm7syc
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 01:57:32 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
JasonPKaplan
Level 0

Never knows best.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:40:18 AM »

I can see a lot of wicked puzzle solving potential here.  Looking forward to updates, if they come. (:

bkane
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 12:22:27 PM »

Hmmm, interesting demo. I like that you are constant source of electricity, rather than simply flipping switches. I can see the puzzle complexity coming from the fact that you power things whether you like it or not. It also suggests a bit of character for your little robot - like he's had to deal with always accidentally powering things when he didn't mean to.

I'd be intrigued enough to see where you go with this idea. The few simple mechanics you already have (constant electricity, unpowered sections of ground, hanging wires and moving platforms) already suggest a lot of possibilities. You could add in diodes for one-way power flow, swinging wires, junction boxes, etc. Cool concept!

Follow me on Twitter @benkane. I talk about dev stuff! | Dev Blog | Going Loud Studios
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 01:29:24 PM »

I was thinking of diodes my self, and those other two sound cool too. Not sure how I'll use diodes in puzzles though. I will also need to make wall and floor lights to help show what's powered during complicated puzzles.

I'm also glad that the unpowered ground was recognizable. I need to try to make some puzzles that really involve the electricity, as currently it's just 'touch wires, stuff happens'.
sabajt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 02:32:23 PM »

Liked the demo, definitely keep working on this.  Perhaps you could develop an area lighting effect, rather than just objects themselves being lit: lit and unlit areas could serve as a way to visually guide players through puzzles as they get more complicated, plus those effects would really add a nice feel to the game in addition to functionality.  

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 05:48:06 PM »

Actually, I was messing around with lighting before, so it was easy to add. No shadows for now though. I used Easy Lighting 7.0.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2u4c3mpsuhm7syc

I have diodes implemented, although I don't have a use for them yet. I also have pushable boxes half implemented, and their uses are a lot more obvious.

EDIT: Here's a example of the electricity system visible by itself if anyone wants to see it:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5c0wwg0nvotwkv9
You can drag the sources around with the mouse.
farcodev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 07:42:07 AM »

Like someone else said, there's a big potential for complex puzzles
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic