Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 08:30:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPlease check out my three entries into the music game contest at Kongregate!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Please check out my three entries into the music game contest at Kongregate!  (Read 680 times)
DevWil
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2011, 11:09:27 AM »

Hey, everybody.

I'm a little bit embarrassed that I just learned about this website today. It seems like it's right up my alley in terms of the kinds of games that people are interested in and working on around here. I wish I had a higher post count so I didn't seem like such a digital carpetbagger. Trouble is, I need help with something in the next 36 hours.

To make a long story tolerably short: Rez is the game that made me look at games in an entirely different way when I was in high school. I didn't think games could be so emotionally resonant until I played through Rez on my PlayStation 2. I also didn't know that making games was quite so approachable of a process for me until about a year and a half ago when I started learning Python and pygame.

So, when Kongregate announced their Project Eden contest that's being judged by Tetsuya Mizuguchi (creator of Rez, Lumines, Child of Eden), I got really excited. Then I spent 3-4 weeks making a game in Unity. Right now that game is the #20 rated game in the contest and only the top 20 games get put in front of Mizuguchi, who is my game design hero.

I also have two other entries in to the contest. One is a sort of expansion to the original entry and it's floating around at like #25. The other is a game that I got the idea for a day before the contest's submission deadline and I wish I'd spent weeks rather than hours developing it, because I think it has a lot of potential. I made this latest entry with Flixel. It was my first time working with that library, actually, so--regardless of how successful it is on Kongregate--I'm pretty proud of the fact that I got it off the ground and uploaded to the site in the short amount of time I had.

So, yeah: I really need help getting these games uprated into the top 20. The one that's floating between #19 and #20 right now doesn't have so much of a lead on those below the cutoff that I feel comfortable at all. This contest means so much to me. I'm so emotionally invested in it because of how much I look up to Mizuguchi. The potential prize money is really secondary to me getting at least one of my games into his hands. Silly, I know. I just respect him that much.

So, below are the links to my games. Any rating of 3 or higher on any of them would be a huge help and I'd really appreciate it. Two or lower and you're going to help make a 21-year-old student game developer very sad if none of his games get played by his game design idol. The top 20 are locked in at 11:59:59 PM PST on the 24th, so there isn't much time left for my games to move up but there's a lot of time for them to move down.

foggy fields (Unity3D)
ffShmup (Flash)
foggy fields bonus content (Unity3D)

Thanks so much!

Edit: I was an idiot and the links didn't work, but now the links work because I'm no longer an idiot! Right?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 01:19:08 PM by DevWil » Logged
namragog
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 12:35:40 PM »

None of the links work?  Epileptic
DevWil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 01:19:29 PM »

None of the links work?  Epileptic

Ack! Thanks for letting me know. Fixed 'em.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic