Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411560 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 03:44:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralTIGSTWG IX: Witch Hunt! [GAME OVER: WITCHES WIN]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: TIGSTWG IX: Witch Hunt! [GAME OVER: WITCHES WIN]  (Read 43180 times)
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« on: August 16, 2008, 04:33:09 PM »

Lytherre's Junction is a bustling coastal city, a haven in the surrounding lands. It is home to a population of many thousands. The city can  be found in a small valley directly adjoining the sea, with a wall of tall hills and icy mountains to one side, and lush green fields to the other. A dense forest can be found within a short walk from the city.

Lytherre's Junction's history began with a small settlement near the coast where the crystal river flows out into the sea. The crystal river is aptly named, not just for the pure water that runs through it from the mountains, but for the valuable crystal formations along its path washed down from the mountains in days past. With an abundance of natural resources, the small settlement grew quickly into a town, and in time became a major city. As the settlement grew, it literally did so over the top of the crystal river. This is now a feature of the city- the river literally runs through the city, with a series of bridges crossing the river at various points.

Lytherre's Junction developed as a crafter's town. Over time, the crafts organised into a set of guilds. Each guild is led by a Guildmaster, who sets the rules and deals with the matters of that profession. The Guildmaster is chosen by vote from the best and most meritorius of that craft. The Guildmasters also form the basis of government in the city, as the Guildmaster of each major guild selects a single councillor and together they elect the mayor of the city.

The mayors of Lytherre's Junction have been amongst the best men and women you could have known. Known for their benevolence, their generosity, their virtue, their inspiration, and their leadership, the long line of mayors in the city have guided the city to success and prosperity.

This story is not about any of those mayors.

Garthy, the latest mayor of Lutherre's Junction. He fancies himself as a bit of a scholar. He is certainly not a leader, nor inspirational, nor particularly benevolent, and certainly not virtuous. He is somewhat keen to keep to his research, the details of which he does not share. This leads many to think that he isn't really doing anything of note at all, except perhaps a little gaming. Garthy makes little more than a token effort to perform his daily duties as mayor. Ultimately this works to the benefit of the Guildsmasters, who have never been given such complete reign over the running of the city. To their credit, they have done exceptionally well, far better than Garthy could have ever managed, if he had bothered to put his books down and actually take responsibility for his task. Inadvertently, he has issued in a new era for the city, where the Guildmasters take responsibility for various aspects of the city's wellbeing. He remains blissfully unaware of that fact.

Anyway, the town runs well, and the cityfolk are happy.

But Lytherre's Junction has a unfortunate secret. The kind of secret that everyone knows about, but nobody speaks of, especially not to any tourists.

Lytherre's Junction is a favoured home to the witches.

Many of the arcane and obscure ingredients required for witchcraft are also found in plentiful supply around Lytherre's Junction, which has meant that as crafters and prospectors and entrepreneurs gravitated toward the city, so did the witches. As the city grew, more and more witches migrated toward the city. Neighbouring cities have dubbed the city as Witch's Junction, partly out of jealously, but the truth remains that many witches do reside within the city.

The witches in Lytherre's Junction are a pest, not a plague. They typically keep to themselves, and apart from the odd case of people sneezing uncontrollably, growing warts, falling in love with hated enemies, or coughing up streams of live fish, they don't appear to mean much harm. The occasional accidental death, though, does put the cityfolk on edge. But in general, the witches of Lytherre's Junction keep fairly quiet, and mostly to themselves. This is probably due to one of the favoured pasttimes of the citizens of the city:

Burning witches.

Lytherre's Junction is famed throughout the lands for its regular witch burning festivals. With a selection of wooden pyres and stakes in the city centre all set up and ready to go at a moments notice, the cityfolk are well prepared for their regular witch burning. Stalls are set up, crafts are made and sold. Witch dolls are a particular favourite, made from 100% flammable materials. There is entertainment for the whole family, even a petting zoo for the children. Oh, and at the end of it all, to the cheers of the crowd, a witch being burned alive.

The citizens of Lytherre's Junction don't always get it right though. Occasionally someone will be burned who isn't a witch. But as the regulars like to say, there are only two types of people burnt at the stake- witches, and potential future witches.

Unfortunately for the citizens of Lytherre's Junction, their real troubles are only just beginning. For a dark presence has recently reawoken in the city, and that presence is hungry for flesh and blood.

---

Okay, signup time. If you'd like to be part of this city, I need you to post your forum name, in bold green. You should also indicate a craft you'd like for your character (any profession, really), as well as an indication if you'd like to be a Guildmaster or not. Please make it interesting, but not too unrealistic. If you don't mention a craft or Guildmaster status, I'll assume it doesn't matter to you. Most of you will be Guildmasters, the rest will instead be senior members of your guild. Guildmasters get an extra voting advantage, but the disadvantage is that the game starts with one known wolf being a Guildmaster. I'll try to accommodate as many of these requests as possible, but remember that I will have to change a few to make the game work. So don't be disappointed if you don't get your exact request.

Sign up only if you have either played before, or have read through at least one complete game online somewhere, plus are familiar with the rules. If you haven't, do so first. Search for "TIGSTWG" on the forums here for a good guide.

If you have hosted a TIGSTWG game before, and you had inactive or blatant rule-breaking players in your game, please PM me the details. I'll prioritise signups for this game accordingly.

Basic rules for TWG are here (stolen from a previous game):

http://70.85.192.194/~loogsla/twg.shtml

EDIT: I've moved the rest of the rules to the monster post on page three to avoid duplication.

Further details and rules to come...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 01:20:41 AM by Garthy » Logged
increpare
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 04:46:28 PM »

Increpare, the lute-maker (or burlesque dancer?).

And, in case that wasn't bold and green enough for you:

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 04:48:28 PM »

Melly!

I am the proud Guildsmaster of the Personal Private Entertainment Crafts Guild!

...we make sex toys, yeah. Cheap prices! We don't disclose our materials, though. It's better for business.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 05:24:56 PM »

XionXionXionXionXionXionXionXion

cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 05:31:29 PM »

*cyber95 puts in enough coins for 5 credits*

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 06:07:09 PM »

GeneralValter

Woot woot! I like this idea. *applause*

EDIT: haha, I'm editing my post.

So, this game is big on full roleplaying. Sure thing. If I do edit in-game posts, It'll probably be to fix something like accidentally posting a quote.

(Garthy, have you done this before? You seem rather well versed in the ways of TWG Huh?)

Note: Roman numeral for 9 is IX, not VIX. sheesh

One more thing, right. I would like to be head of the pie guild or the shoe guild. As long as I get to cobble things, it's alright.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 06:17:27 PM by GeneralValter » Logged
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 06:25:39 PM »

increpare: That's going to haunt me when I sleep.

GeneralValter: First-time TWG host, but I've GM'd a few RPGs, grew up designing games, and read dozens of TWG games. I've been planning this particular game for a while too. Thanks for catching the roman numeral mistake, fixed now.

By the way: Don't forget to specify a craft/guild if you have a preference.. The Guildmaster position of the Dung-Sweeper's guild is still open! Wink
increpare
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 06:27:33 PM »

increpare: That's going to haunt me when I sleep.
You noticed the zipper, right?
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »

*cyber95 puts in enough coins for 5 credits*
*uses 4 credits to customize the character*
(Well, so much for extra lives)

Name: Siber Ninefife
Class: XXXXXXXX (What? I paid like, 4 bucks to get this extra customization and I can't pick what I wanna be?)
Guild: Guildmaster, Guild of Fifesmithery
Craft: Fifesmithing (The building and repairing of Fifes and other similar instruments)
Personality: Lax

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 07:09:55 PM »

battlerager
Guildmaster of Mercenaries?  Cool

(if that doesn't work, I could be the Head of the Guard or something, haha!?
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 07:17:52 PM »

Lets remember that no matter what RP name you pick for yourself votes should probably be directed to the username.

And a fife maker! Intriguing.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 07:22:11 PM »

cyber95: I see you've also played Double Dragon III? (insert several coins to continue comment)

Melly and all: Character names will match forum names, cyber95 is just having a little fun with the coin-op concept. Try pronouncing his name. Smiley

Just wanted to add: I won't list confirmed players/roles right up until after signups are closed, but don't worry, I am taking careful note of the requests and signups and starting work on things already. When there's enough people and I know where everyone is going, I'll post to let everyone know that signups are closed, and then handle the initial posts and PMs. So if I seem a little quiet about things, it isn't because I'm not doing anything. I'm actually very busy working on it, and don't want to give anything away too early. Smiley
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 08:41:35 PM »

Garthy - it might be worth taking note that the forums limit you to I believe 20 PM's per hour. This presented a minor problem when I hosted because there were 21 participants, and I had to wait an hour before I could inform the last fellow of his role(s). If that has any importance to you.

As for expounding on my role, I am the Guildmaster of the Furious Eyebrow Clan, and the founder of Furious Eyebrows Anonymous, for those among us unfortunate enough to have been born with an expression of perpetual and inappropriate anger. I'm not really mad, guys, I was just born this way! As such, my career options have been rather limited, since no one really wants to be greeted by an angry fellow at the doors of any legitimate business. I have, however, found that my condition makes me a superb bouncer and bodyguard, for which I have put forth my services and am able to make a decent living by therein doing the aforementioned bouncing and guarding of bodies of the living persuasion.
Quite. Gentleman

Also helping me in this profession is the fact that I am 6'7", 258lbs, and well versed in armed and unarmed martial arts. Cool

McAndrews
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 09:21:01 PM »

McAndrews!!
Name:McAndrews
Guild: Sports Announcers / Weathermen
Craft: Professional Futbol Sports Announcer
Personality: Gooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!  (I really like soccer)
(In a real life side note, who else is excited for the Olympic soccer match between Brazil and Argentina?  It's going to be great!)
Why weather announcers?  We merged with them because the last guild master was killed chasing tornadoes.  At sea.  So I suppose they were waterspouts.  The weather close around Lytherre's Junction's is really boring normally.  I'm really looking forward to this game, but I live in Texas with a 15-is hour time difference, or something from Adelaide, so your 8pm is my 6am, or close to that.  I think I'll manage.  Hopefully I won't be killed the first night again!   Cry
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 09:26:42 PM »

Huzzah, another werewolf game!  And this one is looking to be quite interesting already...
Fifth'll be in it!  I'll go with the guild of Weavers, on account of my having re-played through Loom rather recently.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 10:49:58 PM »

Xion: Thanks for the suggestion- I saw the mention last game, and plan to cap the the number of participants at around 16-18. This should avoid the problem. As for your role- um, there aren't really any clans, the cityfolk are split up into guilds, based on professions. There might not be too many people who make a profession out of furious eyebrow wriggling. I'd suggest rethinking, but if you're certain, I'll try to accomodate it as best I can.

McAndrews: The technology level is roughly at the level of the middle ages, so you might need to resort to some alchemy and divination for your weather predictions. Sport has existed throughout the ages, so no problem there. I think it can be made to work, but if you don't like the sounds of it, feel free to suggest again.

By the way: If I haven't commented on your suggested craft/guild, it generally means that I think it'll work well.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 11:32:22 PM »

chutup

Everyone's being a guildmaster these days. It's totally mainstream. I just want to be a normal, unassuming member of the guild of fifemakers.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 11:38:16 PM »

Xion: Thanks for the suggestion- I saw the mention last game, and plan to cap the the number of participants at around 16-18. This should avoid the problem. As for your role- um, there aren't really any clans, the cityfolk are split up into guilds, based on professions. There might not be too many people who make a profession out of furious eyebrow wriggling. I'd suggest rethinking, but if you're certain, I'll try to accomodate it as best I can.
Ah, I just chose "clan" 'cause it sounded cool.

A bodyguard, then. Not a guildmaster. A member of the Mercenaries' guild perhaps?

edit: uh oh! I used quote blocks!

EDIT: OH SNAP I DUN EDITED!!
PLZ DONT KILL ME Cry
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 11:55:57 PM by Xion » Logged

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 11:47:33 PM »

Inane Beer!

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 12:42:15 AM »

Heh heh, quote blocks and edits aren't a problem before the game starts, and after it ends. Wink During the game, the former kills the roleplaying, and the later can be used to cheat. But outside of the game, the only rule is to be nice to everyone.

Also, don't forget a guild suggestion unless you genuinely want me to assign one to you. (Inane, that's you too!)

Looks like ten confirmations, and two "reserved" players. Assuming those two confirm, we need around four to six more. Pretty close now. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic