Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411558 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 11:49:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGames you always go back to
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: Games you always go back to  (Read 24036 times)
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2008, 02:35:01 PM »

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, awsome game.

Also World of Warcraft has me hopelessly hooked.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2008, 02:37:18 PM »

I just really love base building and design.  It's why I like DF so much.  It's why I like City of Heroes so much.  And why I keep going back to those older games.  It's just incredibly fun to build this efficient base.  I even wrote a guide for EG back in tha day.

Settlers 2!

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
increpare
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2008, 02:44:37 PM »

Loved settlers 2.  Settlers 2 remake made me cry Sad  (in the bad way).  Also settlers 4. 

Ooh!  Heroes of Might and Magic 2  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 02:51:02 PM by increpare » Logged
JammingJim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2008, 06:31:48 AM »

Loved settlers 2.  Settlers 2 remake made me cry Sad  (in the bad way).  Also settlers 4. 

Ooh!  Heroes of Might and Magic 2  Grin Grin Grin

Beer!

I was just playing both of those a few weeks back(again) - Settlers II Gold edition, and HoMM 2, great games - maybe the best of the bunch from those particular franchises?
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2008, 08:09:18 AM »

Settlers 2 Gold Edition is awesome, I've been coming back to it for ages but I'm not sure I'll return now that I've beaten the main campaign. It also has some pretty nasty bugs. Does anyone know if Settlers 3 is worth playing?

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is one of those games really love and can't stop playing. Just like with Settlers 4, Heroes 4 is one of the biggest mess-ups ever.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
redshift
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2008, 08:28:56 AM »

Loved the simplicity of Heroes 2, the sequel Heores 3 was even better, so far my favourite.  Heroes 2 was the game that go me into turn based stratrgy though (other than chess obviously).  The balance of exploration and strategy was perfect, each new item you discovered had an air of magic to it.  Personally I always levelled up when finding a treasure chest, instead of forfeiting the experience points for Gold..

Loved the Dungeon, the Tower, the Homestead and Fortresses in Heroes 3.  (I think that's right).  The enemy creatures were cool too.

Heroes 4 was a royal mistake, a traitor to the crown of Erathia!!

Smiley
redshift
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2008, 08:35:29 AM »

Got to add that Heroes 2 is in some ways better than 3, because the troops are probably balanced a little more equally overall.

During Heroes 3 multiplayer, me and my friends used to find that some of the races wouldn't fare too well against others...

Smiley
difficultman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2008, 10:08:03 AM »

Super Gachapon World SD Gundam X(snes)
A hex grid turn-based strategy game with fast-paced action battles.  Admittedly I'm a Gundam fan(robot anime is the only anime I really like) and most Gundam games are garbage, but this one is gold.  If you can get past the initially ugly map graphics and figure out how it works, you'll find a very satisfying and replayable strategy game.  A game can easily take more than 4 hours to finish, especially if you pick the space map that has 5 planets and a moon.  Basically you have to destroy every single enemy unit or have a higher score if there's a turn limit.  To do that you need mobile suits(giant robots) that you can produce at factories.  The battles are quite fun because they let you fly around as one of your mobile suits and shoot and slash(which is very much a game of skill).  The strategy of surrounding and outnumbering your enemies on the map plays very much into victory in battle.  It's always a harrowing experience when you have the enemy's last planet surrounded and your building up for an invasion, all the while he's sending up warships full of mobile suits that you'll have to shoot down inside the reentry zone.  The sequels to this game were sadly riddled with unimprovements that destroy all the fun.  Definitely the best Gundam game I've played by far.  It is 'SD', mind you.
increpare
« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2008, 04:31:28 PM »

Got to add that Heroes 2 is in some ways better than 3, because the troops are probably balanced a little more equally overall.
Graphically and musically I prefer Heroes 2 (I think my assertion of the graphical superiority of Heroes 2 is unlikely to find much opposition?)
Dragonmaw
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2008, 04:33:47 PM »

Settlers 2 Gold is easily one of my favorite strategy games of all time.  Getting the economy working right and watching all your little dudes is so addicting.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2008, 04:35:25 PM »

I enjoyed Heroes 3 the most, myself. It has a nice random map generator, and the massive variety helped add to the experience.

Speaking of which, I play Might and Magic: Gates to Another World every so often. It's a pretty hardcore RPG that came out for the Genesis. It had all sorts of stuff to do, though, and it was pretty much the 1990 definition of "sandbox world".
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2008, 04:37:36 PM »

I think my assertion of the graphical superiority of Heroes 2 is unlikely to find much opposition?

How's that?  I've only played HOMM3 (loved it back then), but from screenshots, it seems HOMM3 is basically a more polished version, graphically, of HOMM2?

And yes, Settlers 2 is definitely awesome. Very time-consuming, unfortunately. I liked the original too.
increpare
« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2008, 04:45:44 PM »

I think my assertion of the graphical superiority of Heroes 2 is unlikely to find much opposition?

How's that?  I've only played HOMM3 (loved it back then), but from screenshots, it seems HOMM3 is basically a more polished version, graphically, of HOMM2?
It had a lot of dodgy 3d rendered models in it; I must preferred the illustrated-style of homam2.

Compare this

to this

and you should get the idea.

The same goes for the city renderings

as opposed to this

Maybe not too obvious in that shot, but you should see what I'm getting at with regards to the differences between the two (whether you accept my aesthetic evaluations is entirely up to you, of course). 
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2008, 04:48:02 PM »

Ah, yeah I see where you're coming from. It's really been a long time since I've played that game Wink I do recall enjoying the graphics at the time, but you have a point. I guess I would have to play HOMM2 to find out for sure.
increpare
« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2008, 04:48:59 PM »

I guess I would have to play HOMM2 to find out for sure.

You would!  And: you should!  Grin
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 10, 2008, 04:58:15 PM »

Baldur's Gate II is a big one, for me. And Ultima VII. The time I have thrown away on those two games combined... well, let's not get into numbers.

There are other, simpler, games that I come back to frequently for the enormous nostalgia value, as well. The Commander Keen series. Tyrian 2000. And then a few indies as well... Seiklus, Hero, Invader and Knytt come to mind. I guess I like explorable games.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 05:03:56 PM by Jabberwock » Logged

Gnarf
« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2008, 05:53:23 PM »

Oh! I did not recall HoMM3 being that ugly. That's ugly and not very pretty. Recent posts in this thread made me consider giving HoMM3 a go again, but I think maybe I'll go hunting for a copy of that 2nd one instead.

And it totally seems some man called trygames.com is selling downloads of HoMM2, but Ubisoft is a stupid cunt and won't let him sell it to me because I live in some country or something. Reminds me of this really stupid thing Ubisoft did over at Steam once. Hah.

Also, these posts about Heroes and such made me think of Age of Wonders. That's a game I tend to go back to every once in a while. It's pleasant and I'm awfully nostalgic about it. And like hobbitshalflings chucking rocks at orcs is always cute.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »

Blockland and Yoshi's Island for me.

increpare
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2008, 02:13:49 AM »

Also, these posts about Heroes and such made me think of Age of Wonders. That's a game I tend to go back to every once in a while. It's pleasant and I'm awfully nostalgic about it. And like hobbitshalflings chucking rocks at orcs is always cute.
Ah yes, that was a lovely piece of work; I never really go into it though Sad
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2008, 10:16:56 AM »

Ooh, another one I just remembered - Total Annihilation. That game is more or less the alpha and omega of real time strategy games for me... it's not a genre that I'm much into, but for some reason that game warms the cockles of my heart.

<3 HOMM2, also, but I've not played it in years.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic