Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411661 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 04:21:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGames"reading into" games more than you should (for fun)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: "reading into" games more than you should (for fun)  (Read 7713 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2008, 02:42:12 PM »

OK, so while playing I Was in the War I started to read into it too much, and while talking about the game/my ideas with someone else, I realized that my conclusions were quite funny and very absurd (at least to some).  Here they are:

So as you survive and run farther into the war zone you get bigger, and you become easier to hit because of that.  Getting hurt shrinks your size, and so does just standing there.  I think the size of your character reflects the characters ego; when it's big he's riskier and gets hit more, and when he gets hit is ego is literally deflated.

OK, so I'm not sure if that was actually intentional on the part of the designer, but regardless, I noticed it, and read way to much into the game.  I think it's possible to do this with lots of games, and to make bullshit conclusions too, which is even better.  So read into things too much and post your really stupid conclusions!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 08:54:58 AM by architekt » Logged
pnx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 06:20:28 PM »

I for one feel there is a great deal of symbolism in Meat Boy.

The entire story of the game is about abortion. Meat Boy's great life with his girlfriend band-aid girl is suddenly interrupted by the fact that they discover that she's pregnant (the unborn baby symbolized by Dr. fetus). Now Meat Boy then chases off after his girlfriend trying to keep it together as this hectic journey continues. He wants an abortion she starts to swing his way, but is drawn back by the want for a child (as symbolized by Dr. fetus grabbing her at the end of each level). It starts off in the forest, which is where everything is alright, then it goes to the salt factory (symbolic of the need for their relationship to heal) and finally it goes to hell (which is where every relationship goes).

In the end after she has experienced a particularly "joyful" moment of the "joys" of pregnancy she aborts the damn baby, and they're back together again.

Now I just need to figure out what the super special secret symbolizes.
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 08:16:05 PM »

Cave Story is a metaphor for waking up in a cave and saving a floating island of rabbit people. I know this sounds crazy, but I'm sure of it.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 08:26:06 PM »

Set the Rope on Fire is actually a game about erectile difficulties.  You wouldn't think to "set the rope on fire" and would normally try and defeat the boss with axes, but axes won't "set the rope on fire" and the game tells you how to fix your problem (WARNING: please do not actually put fire near your genital area; that is a horrible and dangerous idea).

This is more what I meant for this thread; complete bullshit.

Standard Bits is actually about finding your way home during a night of heavy drinking.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 09:36:23 PM »

Might as well copy this from Pixelation. It's about Adam Atomic's Gravity Hook:

"I think this game is about desires and aspirations. You must constantly set new goals for yourself or the ones you settle for will be your downfall. We mustn't settle for anything for then we will merely stagnate in our ways and become victims of mediocrity. Yet we must set goals nonetheless, and we must reach them, as near as we can and to the best of our ability, or else we merely stay grounded to the known, and the safe, and the never hope for anything more.
This is made evident not only in the actual gameplay, but also in the game's design - your personal best lies at the top of the screen, where you desire to be. It is not the all-time high of some other faceless three-character being thousands of miles away, one that we know we will never reach. Some absurd number. it is your personal best, indicating that you have done it before, and you can do it again. And if it can be done again, it can be done better. Seeing the number motivates us. And yet, when we choose to quit and return, we find the number - "my number" - gone, wiped away as though it never were. Thus we are forced not to settle even for our own all-time highs, but only the recent ones. We must constantly re-assess our abilities, and set a fresh goal with every beginning.
We are not kings. We are not gods. We are all mere civilians, deep beneath the ground. But only those few diligent and brave enough to set goals, to reach those goals, and to surpass those goals with newer and greater aspirations - only those who wonder how deep they really are - will ever actually find out."

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 01:52:57 AM »

SeiKKKlus:
http://www.64digits.com/users/index.php?userid=kafeithekeaton&cmd=comments&id=8138

this is a PERFECT example of "reading into" indie games more than you should.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 02:57:00 AM »

SeiKKKlus:
http://www.64digits.com/users/index.php?userid=kafeithekeaton&cmd=comments&id=8138

this is a PERFECT example of "reading into" indie games more than you should.

IT IS LIKE THE PLANTATION OWNER IN THE 1800S!
I lol'd so hard, thank you for the link  :D

Good thing it's a joke Smiley
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 09:19:54 AM »

That was really hilarious!  :D
Movius
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 10:04:07 AM »

The seiKKKlus article is quality.

going to have to promote some of my own work again.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 10:14:57 AM »

going to have to promote some of my own work again.

That Mario piece is brilliant.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 01:09:54 PM »

OK, when possible please just quote the stuff here; I'd rather big messy posts than a bunch of links.

And from what I've skimmed of them, those things are great Movius!
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 02:10:02 PM »

Slightly off topic, but this is Kieron Gillen's analysis of Mighty Jill Off - it's pretty good - it picked up on an aspect of the game that I hadn't really thought of. As for whether or not dessgeega intended things that way I don't know. It's more than likely that she did.

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 05:00:27 PM »

Haha this hilarious because its exactly what I felt like all my English teachers used to do with the classic novels and plays.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 05:12:36 PM »

In other news, anything can be related to communism. It's true, give it a shot some time.

For example: Cave Story was clearly pro-communist propaganda. The mimigas represent the people, toiling to survive and yet happy with their position. The Doctor is the terrible face of Representative Democracy, exploiting the people for his own good! He lies to them and uses them, and then discards them as soon as he has no use for them anymore! See how easily they lived in their villages, before the monsters wearing the "Demon Crown" (here representing autocracy) tried to shape their lives!

It's not my best, but I could probably do better with some more time.

Also, this would mean that the Mimiga hero Arthur represents Stalin or the USSR. He fought the evils of democracy but was crushed by Democracy's crushing grip! Never forget his accomplishments!
dessgeega
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 06:37:35 PM »

As for whether or not dessgeega intended things that way I don't know. It's more than likely that she did.

i don't think i was terribly subtle.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 06:42:17 PM »

As for whether or not dessgeega intended things that way I don't know. It's more than likely that she did.

i don't think i was terribly subtle.

Subtle enough for me to miss it. Whatever that's worth. Tongue

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 08:35:49 PM »

I've noticed that people differ wildly in how good they are at getting messages and such -- for me it's pretty easy, and always notice people completely missing things that I see.

As an example, Ikiru (SPOILERS ON THIS MOVIE FROM THE 50s) is a movie about an old guy who spent his life in a boring job doing nothing who gets stomach cancer and has to decide what to spend the last six months of his life doing, and tries different things like parties, drinking, romance, family, etc., none of which bring him happiness, until finally at the end he decides to do something good by using his position at his job to get a park for children made from an area which had been covered in sewage.

Then he dies, and during his funeral most of the people he knew downplay his achievements, saying that he wasn't responsible for the park at all, that it was just circumstance that got the park built. My mother thought that was a sad, depressing ending, since the main character died (she hates movies where people die), whereas I saw it as a more life-affirming ending because even though he had no recognition for what he done, he did something and was made happy through it, and his life meant something because that was something worthwhile he finally did before he died.

azeo
Level 1

Blank slate!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 12:07:21 AM »

In other news, anything can be related to communism. It's true, give it a shot some time.

Proof: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/307402
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 08:15:45 AM »

Proof: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/307402
Why did I know what the link was to before I even clicked it?

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 09:39:52 AM »

For example: Cave Story was clearly pro-communist propaganda. The mimigas represent the people, toiling to survive and yet happy with their position. The Doctor is the terrible face of Representative Democracy, exploiting the people for his own good! He lies to them and uses them, and then discards them as soon as he has no use for them anymore! See how easily they lived in their villages, before the monsters wearing the "Demon Crown" (here representing autocracy) tried to shape their lives!

It's not my best, but I could probably do better with some more time.

Also, this would mean that the Mimiga hero Arthur represents Stalin or the USSR. He fought the evils of democracy but was crushed by Democracy's crushing grip! Never forget his accomplishments!
:D  Valter, it's stuff like this I was hoping would come from this thread!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic