Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 08:23:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesYoYo Site Changes; FINALLY switches to 5 star rating system.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: YoYo Site Changes; FINALLY switches to 5 star rating system.  (Read 3086 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2008, 08:37:04 PM »

Yes, it's happened, and it really should have happened a long time ago.  Maybe I'll hate that site just a little less now...
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 01:38:28 AM »

A five star rating system isn't really high on my preferences of things I'd like to see improved about Yoyo games personally. Speed was always a much bigger issue for me, along with the whole puny download link that they seem to try and hide.

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 03:18:29 AM »

A five star rating system isn't really high on my preferences of things I'd like to see improved about Yoyo games personally. Speed was always a much bigger issue for me, along with the whole puny download link that they seem to try and hide.
^Dis.

Also I prefer 10.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 09:31:50 AM »

Where the fuck is the download link? Last time I was there I couldn't find it Sad.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Zaphos
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 10:04:19 AM »

Where the fuck is the download link? Last time I was there I couldn't find it Sad.
http://www.indiegames.com/blog/images/timw/yoyodl.png
NAL
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 08:21:29 AM »

The only thing I dislike about the new five star system is that all my games seemed to go down differently, meaning some of my worse games now have better ratings than the better ones. It also means the highest-rated one fell from #20 to about #160 in highest rated (I don't know how they calculated the ratings - I'd've just deducted the same off everyone).
alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 11:22:39 AM »

Speaking of speed on the site, has anyone else experienced game bugs/glitches when streaming the game?
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 03:21:32 PM »

Blargh. I left Game Maker when Overmars sold-out and got bought out. All corporization ever does to anything is help suck more money out of people for the top people. It was obvious that Overmars was tired with Game Maker before YoYo Games, as shown by the years of lack of any updates. He could have just GPL'd it and let the community take care of it but instead he decided to prioritize money and fuck his awesome community in the ass for his own greed, even though his community is what got the program where it is.

Why won't you guys use open, standard languages and engines to make your games in? SDL, Pygame, Flex and countless open engines are ready to have fucking awesome games be made in them. You can't even truly open source or completely own your own Game Maker games because YoYo Games legally requires you to mention that the Game Maker runner portion of your games is owned by YoYo Games.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Biggerfish
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 01:15:16 AM »

Even though you may not like YYG, they have done some nice things for Game Maker (version 7, make ports, C++ rewrite that is in the works, etc.).

I never really bothered with the YYG site, I stopped visiting the forums a while before version 7 came out (I didn't like the atmosphere there). From my experience I don't think that the 5-star rating system means all that much there (my impression is that there is a lot of up/down rating without any reasons given. I don't really like the idea of rating system in numbers (seeing as anything below 7/10 is usually seen as "bad" or harshly reviewed, and then there are arguments over numbers, etc.) I'd rather read a bunch of reviews where people explain what they liked/disliked, seeing as there have been many cases where something the reviewer doesn't like sounds like something I would enjoy.

I never did understand why they would use a 6-star rating system though. It's doesn't achieve anything.

Quote from: moshboy
Speed was always a much bigger issue for me
This would be nice, even though I barely look at the site.
ChevyRay
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 12:15:24 PM »

How care aout the rating. Cool I care aout the game.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 07:47:08 PM »

Why is this significant? How was it before and why are five stars better?

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 09:09:34 PM »

I don't know, when I first read the first post I thought it was from a spambot.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 09:39:04 PM »

Yeah, now that you mention it, I sorta fucked that one up.

I guess that weird feature just always really bugged me about YoYo.

Not as much as the flash portal thing, but still...
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 08:12:40 AM »

It had a *gasp* six star system.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic