Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411670 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 02:45:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHOLY SHIT GUYS SPECTROMANCER
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: HOLY SHIT GUYS SPECTROMANCER  (Read 12661 times)
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« on: November 04, 2008, 02:29:08 PM »

Played the demo, bought the game.
If you love card battling games or strategy ones: This game is awesome, is made of pure awesomeness and polished with awesome spray.

It is designed by Alexey Stankevich and Richard Garfield, this last one is the creator of Magic: The Gathering.
The rules are really simple but the game is very hard to master, each player has a sort of various mana pools, called strengths, the first four are the classic air\fire\water\earth stuff, the latest one is choosen by your class (so necromancers uses Death and so on for different and interesting classes)

then you have to battle using magic cards and creatures against computer opponents (in campaign mode or single player match) or versus humans via the ye old hotseat method, via Lan or via Online League. This latest one is the most interesting aspect of the game so far, facing real people is awesome and you'll get your ass kicked by several good players before starting to win easily.

There's a demo and it has multiplayer too, so download it and try yoursef the game both in single and online matches!

http://www.playgreenhouse.com/game/TDNKY-000001-01

for who's interested to duel, see ya on #tigirc Smiley you can play online even using the demo, the only class to choose from is Cleric but there aren't other limitations.

Who can make a news for this game? i think it totally deserve tigs homepage
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:42:25 PM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 02:59:39 PM »

I played this and thought it was pretty cool, but I didn't feel like I really wanted to buy it, maybe come December, but right now, I don't see it. I didn't think the card selection was broad enough.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 03:01:13 PM »

How pretty!  Grin

By the looks of the particle effects and the lack of a Mac/Linux version I think this was made in Game Maker.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 04:10:25 PM »

seems not, but it's pretty indeed

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 04:16:26 PM »

Demo downloaded, will play now  Evil
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 04:25:57 PM »

try it online, it's like 10x more fun, or at least in hard mode Wink

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 04:36:38 PM »

Who can make a news for this game? i think it totally deserve tigs homepage
You seem to be praising this rather enthusiastically.

Almost like a salesman.  Shocked

Not that I'm accusing anyone of anything, but it honestly doesn't look too much better than other virtual card games out there.

I'm personally a fan of Castlewars, which is free.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 04:43:06 PM by Skofo » Logged

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 06:16:04 PM »

try it online, it's like 10x more fun, or at least in hard mode Wink
I just played the first chapter singleplayer on normal.

Man, that was awesome.

I will probably buy it sometime soon.
Thanks for sharing!  Cool
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 06:49:22 PM »

I don't know, the fact that I can get totally awesome setups then complete craps kinda turns me off. Unless I can modify decks?

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 09:47:13 PM »

....okay....

....bought it.  WTF  :D
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 01:42:03 AM »

I don't know, the fact that I can get totally awesome setups then complete craps kinda turns me off. Unless I can modify decks?

nope, the cards of basic types are almost the same for every player (so everyone can use air\fire\earth\water types) the fifth kind is choosen by your class, that makes the duels much more on par but yes, having more cards and the possibility to build a deck would be better.. even if i got much more addicted here than playing Magic online, because you have to buy a lot of (virtual) cards to make a good deck.

Like this it plays like a sort of magic chess, oh and there's not much randomness on it, if you have crappy cards is because your mana is too low!
They are ordered by strenght and the most powerful ones only shows when you have a good mana, usually you need to keep at least one of the five kinds almost always growing.
There are even cards of a kind that takes strenghts by other types, for example the Greater Demon (Death type) damage every enemy creature on the field when summoned using your current Fire stat, so if you keep a good Fire and Death level you can do a lot of damage using one or more Greater Demons

You seem to be praising this rather enthusiastically.

Almost like a salesman.  Shocked

Not that I'm accusing anyone of anything, but it honestly doesn't look too much better than other virtual card games out there.

I'm personally a fan of Castlewars, which is free.

yeah sure i work for greenhouse... (in my dreams)
i played a lot of cards games and this one is really good, expecially for the multiplayer!
Castlewars is free but it is only single player and it also sucks badly imho (for both rules and graphics):\
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:58:27 AM by Eclipse » Logged

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 03:19:15 AM »

Castlewars is free but it is only single player
Excuse me?

Looks to me like you haven't even tried this for more than 5 seconds.

I guess aesthetic is all that matters to people who buy casual games.  Roll Eyes The purdy graphics and the bloated rules of Spectromancer are pretty much all the difference between it and Castlewars.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 03:25:15 AM by Skofo » Logged

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 03:38:20 AM »

sorry, i saw there's a multi, but you can't really compare something like spectromancer to that, it's like comparing tic-tac-toe to chess.

And not, graphics is always important, because the difference from an indie game and an amateur sucky flash game is also on the eye side.

also the demo is free and even only using that one it plays a lot better than Castlewars, and in the end i'm more willing to spend 20$ to play a much deeper game than to waste my time on something like that...
how about to stop the OT here? i think it's matter of tastes and pockets, even if 20 dollars aren't that much for no one has a pc and an internet connection that's not a brat i would hope

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 04:30:09 AM »

sorry, i saw there's a multi
So you saw that there was multiplayer and then lied about it to make every other game that's not this one seem "sucky" like you're trying to say? That isn't very mature of you.

but you can't really compare something like spectromancer to that, it's like comparing tic-tac-toe to chess.
Yes, because what seperates a tic-tac-toe-like fighting card game from a chess-like fighting card game is a couple extra stats.

And not, graphics is always important, because the difference from an indie game and an amateur sucky flash game is also on the eye side.
Yeah, appealing graphics are, well, appealing. But simplicity is usually satisfactory, and in some people's eyes even better than the alternative. Especially when the former is infinitely times cheaper. Why are Flash games not considered indie games? Nikujin had pretty "sucky" graphics but it's generally agreed upon that it's an indie game.

also the demo is free and even only using that one it plays a lot better than Castlewars, and in the end i'm more willing to spend 20$ to play a much deeper game than to waste my time on something like that...
You're not willing to "waste your time" on a free game, but spending money on a shinier alternative and playing that is totally not a waste of time, eh?

how about to stop the OT here? i think it's matter of tastes and pockets, even if 20 dollars aren't that much for no one has a pc and an internet connection that's not a brat i would hope
This is pretty far from off-topic, bro. This is a matter of taste, and that is exactly why comparing this game to others of the same genre is very much relavent to this thread. You are just upset because I'm trying to shine a light on other free and more accessible games that are related to this one. Differing opinions are very much expected in forums, and this is helpful to anyone reading this because it shows thoughts, criticisms and alternatives that people might want to know before spending their $20 on something. You are hardly the voice of reason, here. You are practically saying that this is the most complex, beautiful and amazing game ever and you are shunning other games out there that hold a candle to it and dismissing them as "sucky". I think that shows what role you fit in this thread pretty accurately. You, sir, are a fanboy. All I am trying to do is make logical comparisons and arouse intellectual debate and discussion related to this game, while you clearly are not.

Don't be so afraid of other games once you decide to buy one, Eclipse. If you buy an FPS game, you're not just restricted to just that FPS game. The gamer police won't storm through your windows and arrest you for playing other games and having a well-formed, logical opinion of them other than "they are sucky". I promise you that.  :D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 04:34:19 AM by Skofo » Logged

jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 04:42:08 AM »

ROFLCOPTER!

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 04:53:27 AM »

man you're totally getting ridiculous...

Yes, because what seperates a tic-tac-toe-like fighting card game from a chess-like fighting card game is a couple extra stats.

yeah sure, expecially when those "extra stats" means a ton of extra strategy deepness.
Maybe you aren't that able to play strategy game because the difference from the game you linked and the one i'm talking about is really something like tic-tac-toe vs chess.

Don't be so afraid of other games once you decide to buy one, Eclipse. If you buy an FPS game, you're not just restricted to just that FPS game. The gamer police won't storm through your windows and arrest you for playing other games and having a well-formed, logical opinion of them other than "they are sucky". I promise you that.  :D

1) i'm not your bro and i hope you're not soulja boy
2) i played that game and it's not just sucky, it sucks ass from a straw if you want a more logical and elaborated opinion  Smiley

now please stop trolling on my thread or keep in topic, talk about spectromancer if you even tried it or go out, this thread wasn't called "HOLY SHIT GUYS CARD GAMES" and i really don't want to reply to all your blabbering any more.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 05:07:35 AM by Eclipse » Logged

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 05:13:46 AM »

2) i played that game and it's not just sucky, it sucks ass from a straw if you want a more logical and elaborated opinion  Smiley
Well, if you can't make logical criticisms or comparisons then that pretty much seals your fate as a fanboy that can't think past the shiniest thing he sees. You can change for the better, though. Don't be an ostrich.

now please stop trolling on my thread or keep in topic, talk about spectromancer if you even tried it or go out, this thread wasn't caled "HOLY SHIT GUYS CARD GAMES" and i really don't want to reply to all your blabbering any more
I am really, really not trolling. You do not think that comparing the qualities and other aspects of this game to similar games is related to this topic, despite the advantages to doing just that I have listed? Again, why are you so afraid of competition and meaningful comparisons for this game you bought? You might be comfortable shutting everybody off and enjoy wallowing in your blissful ignorance, but if you actually want people to buy this like you seem to so much then you'll have to be able to respond to its criticisms and and comparisons in a more mature matter if you expect anyone to believe all of your generous praise for this game. Otherwise you just seem ignorant and stubborn in your views and your opinions become less believable.

I know you're Italian so I'm sorry if what I'm saying isn't making complete sense to you.

EDIT: I gotta hit the sack and get some Z's so I'll probably reply to what you have to say to this in about a dozen hours or so. Really, I'm interested. See you later.  Evil
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 05:25:15 AM by Skofo » Logged

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 05:33:16 AM »

yes i don't understand Trollish.
Your last statement is a clearly evidence of how retarded are you, now please fuck off

edit: i was writing something longer about castlewars gameplay and such but now it really doesn't matter

increpare
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 05:39:19 AM »

edit: i was writing something longer about castlewars gameplay and such but now it really doesn't matter
I'd be interested in reading what you have to say on the matter.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 05:56:23 AM »

Especially since skofo is pretty much right and you were being a bit unreasonable there.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic