Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411664 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 05:28:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHOLY SHIT GUYS SPECTROMANCER
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: HOLY SHIT GUYS SPECTROMANCER  (Read 12658 times)
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 06:30:33 AM »

excuse me, unreasonable to what?

he first started accusing me to be a sort of salesman, sure, i did 500 posts here only to cover my true intent to promote this game.

then i simply stated that the game he linked was bad because the lack of any strategy deepness compared to Spectromancer and because it's also ugly to see. All that stuff in a thread that was intended to talk about another game than maybe he never played, also because he replied so fast stabbing it down.

Then he started pointing at me saying maybe i got a sort of fear or something that keeps me talking better about a free game instead one that i paid for, and that's plain stupid.

In the end he also stated that maybe i can't undestand his great elucubrations because i'm italian...

now as you and increpare are "really interested" to that comparison about those games, aren't you? i'm going to explain it quickly:

Castlewars has a very simple structure for a battle card game, it doesn't feature any battleground, it has only few cards all almost with the same use: upgrade your fence (the only type of defense you have) upgrade your castle (it's like your HP), upgrade some other stats or attack in some manner.
So basically each turn you have to choose what to do from: upgrading your defense (note also that fences and the castle itself plays almost the same thing, because any attacker will first destroy your fence and then lower your castle), upgrading your resources or try attack in some way.
There are no cards over the field, all the game is only a play one card at time matter and it leads to a very simple and boring gameplay. You can't prepare your field, you can't see what the enemy is doing and it makes the game pretty basic and sometimes just random.

In Spectromancer you got a lot of different cards, almost everyone with a special effect and with a clear use if played well. You can also choose your own "style" of playing by selecting a class that will lead cards of a certain type on your hands. Also it feature a battlefield, where you can drop your cards in certain slots with a purpose and you can build pretty fancy tecniques during the turns, maybe while also trying to discover what's going on in the mind of your enemy watching his cards on the field and his stats.

From the strategy point of view Spectromancer offers a MUCH wider and far more interesting experience than Castlewars.

Then the graphics, every card on spectromancer is not only well designed gameplay wise but also beautiful, it really helps to build a mood and you can clearly understand the cards just from their picture.
Spectromancer offers also an interesting "Story Mode", a "single duel" mode for a fast but hard match and several achievements.
It's bigger in every single aspect and looks and plays like an indie quality game as is and IMHO deserve it's 20 bucks.
Castlewars is a sub-par flash game, with a nice idea but realized not so well.

Excuse my poor english but you know, i'm only an italian and i'm not able to write such pearl of truth as Skofo does...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 07:27:37 AM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 06:45:32 AM »

Fuck you Skofo! Why do you turn every thread you post in into a flamewar?

increpare
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 06:54:26 AM »

Thanks for the description Eclipse.  You do make CW seem a little bit shallow in comparison. I have every intention to try Spectromancer out: I've had several the love-affair with M:tG, and certainly know how engaging these sorts of games can be.
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 06:55:14 AM »

Hehe Terry, that post sits in the uncanny valley. Joke? Not joke? I'll go with joke here Smiley

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 07:01:02 AM »

Thanks for the description Eclipse.  You do make CW seem a little bit shallow in comparison. I have every intention to try Spectromancer out: I've had several the love-affair with M:tG, and certainly know how engaging these sorts of games can be.

Same, this made the game seem more compelling to me than the initial post. Not just because it's better than CW, mind you, but because the comparison of the two brought up some aspects about Spectromancer that makes it more interesting for me. From the initial post my first thought was more like "Eh, another card game that claims to be better than the rest"
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 07:16:42 AM »

At the first try i was in dubt too, i played a lot of card battling games and expecially the ones where you aren't able to build all your deck suffers from being  repetitious. Spectromancer evades this aspect not because the massive variety of cards (compared with magic of course, but the cards are still a lot) but instead building a well balanced gameplay.
It plays a lot like Magic: The gathering in some sorts of ways, even because it's designed by the same mind, but you can play it and be a good player even without knowing every single card.
It's simpler to learn but hard the same to master, you can really feel that playing online: there are some good players around and you will always know they're using some sort of technique to destroy you slowly and not only playing random cards.
You can point to build a strong defence and kill your opponent using spells, or you can put on the field a lot of weak cards counting on their number, or maybe you can resist some turns to play an almost unstoppable creature and then keep healing or covering it and so on...

Maybe this game is not another Magic, but it's surely a solid game, and it fits better than magic this digital form because you don't have the need to buy some wacky virtual expansion pack to keep playing it Wink

I really hope people keep playing it online for a while because i'm having fun
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 07:23:08 AM by Eclipse » Logged

Don Andy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 07:29:40 AM »

Maybe this game is not another Magic

That's a GOOD thing. Pretty much every card game tries to be another Magic.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 09:51:55 AM »

Especially since skofo is pretty much right and you were being a bit unreasonable there.

Being right doesn't excuse being antagonistic.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 10:10:19 AM »

So Eclipse, are you down for some battles sometime!?  Gentleman
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 11:16:19 AM »

Hehe Terry, that post sits in the uncanny valley. Joke? Not joke? I'll go with joke here Smiley

I'm thinking it's a not-joke.

Don Andy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008, 11:30:26 AM »

Tried it out now and totally dig the game. Definitely will buy it Bought it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:13:39 PM by Don Andy » Logged
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2008, 11:54:26 AM »

sure thing man Smiley you can find me almost anytime i'm online on #tigirc (with a lot of cool tiggers)

also: woo hoo i'm almost level 2  Beer!

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2008, 12:38:31 PM »

sure thing man Smiley you can find me almost anytime i'm online on #tigirc (with a lot of cool tiggers)

also: woo hoo i'm almost level 2  Beer!
I really need to start IRC again.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2008, 02:39:02 PM »

just got a friend of mine addicted to this game too, we made something like 5-6 battles only today zeroing both our productivity. This game is a drug Tired
There's even an Hall of Fame on the site ( http://www.spectromancer.com ) and you can also upload your own avatar and use it during battles!

Anyway i'm ArchLich inside Smiley

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2008, 02:49:12 PM »

I just added "ArchLich". Did I do that correctly?

(Im obviously Battlerager)
Don Andy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2008, 03:30:32 PM »

Psh, I forgot that in the 3+ years I played Magic I haven't won a single game. Could take me some time to get to Level 2.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2008, 04:01:09 PM »

I just added "ArchLich". Did I do that correctly?

(Im obviously Battlerager)

i think you can invite someone to the friend list only if he's online :\ we'll catch up tomorrow  Gentleman

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2008, 04:25:57 PM »

See, now was that so hard? Thanks for the (civil) comparison. I tried the game out and beat Flora on Very Hard mode, but I didn't have too much fun. I guess this just isn't my type of thing.

Sorry if I offended you by mentioning that you're Italian, but I've been in many cases where people whose first language isn't English misunderstand what another person said and then blow up in anger, similarly to how you did.

I do not.  Sad

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2008, 05:34:14 AM »

in only two days i'm now #467 on the hall of fame Cool level 4 FTW

edit: battlerager won a duel with me  WTF but i was using necromancer deck that i don't like so much  Cool was very nice and long game!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 05:57:41 AM by Eclipse » Logged

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2008, 06:11:32 AM »

in only two days i'm now #467 on the hall of fame Cool level 4 FTW

edit: battlerager won a duel with me  WTF but i was using necromancer deck that i don't like so much  Cool was very nice and long game!
Indeed!

Dude, I usually play Chaos.
I accidently picked Death, so I guess we were both Necromancers by accident, haha!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic