Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411660 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 02:04:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGame Maker for Apple starts Beta soon
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Game Maker for Apple starts Beta soon  (Read 3500 times)
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2008, 11:29:54 AM »

http://glog.yoyogames.com/?p=445

You can now email them for a chance to help with the Private Beta. It should start at the end of the month.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 11:35:15 AM »

Thanks for the heads up, I emailed them.

Radial
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 01:10:48 PM »

Awesome; I have been waiting for this SOO long :D
Corpus
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 01:13:29 PM »

Applied Grin
Sk8rCai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 02:08:34 PM »

I feel like I can now sustain a decent erection!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 02:37:33 PM »

Didn't Fish want to get in this?

Somebody should e-mail him. He has too many awesome game ideas.

Also, is this version coded in C++ already? That'd probably work wonders for the performance of GM games (original is in Delphi).

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Saker
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 03:13:05 PM »

mmm ... does that mean i can open .gmX files that i made on windows with the mac version and compile it for mac Huh? ?
just .. i wish i had mac .><
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 06:16:33 PM »

Oh shigt guys I don't have a mac. I only have a PC.
That means I'll be forced to buy a mac right  Sad
Why don't they continue to make games for PC Angry

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 06:29:22 PM »

Also, is this version coded in C++ already? That'd probably work wonders for the performance of GM games (original is in Delphi).
As far as I'm aware the C++ version is in beta (or very late stage alpha) as well.  From what I gathered, YoYo didn't want to release it to the masses for fear that it would be used to get GM games on to every console in existence (DS, PSP, etc.).  I think they want some control over getting GM games onto the portables; at least that's the feeling I've gotten from their occasional post mentioning their talks with Nintendo and Sony.
Corpus
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 08:27:18 AM »

That's bullshit.

Game Maker PSTripple for the masses.

Yeah, someone should tell Fish. I think his internet is dead, though.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 09:06:22 AM »

Game Maker PSTripple for the masses.
Huh? I don't think you can do that unless it's open-sourced.

And of course Linuxfags don't matter to them.  Roll Eyes

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Corpus
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 09:19:27 AM »

You obviously don't know how gamez biznizz works, Skofo.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 09:40:10 AM »

mmm ... does that mean i can open .gmX files that i made on windows with the mac version and compile it for mac Huh? ?
just .. i wish i had mac .><

If that's all you have to do, you can ask someone with a Mac to do it for you.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 09:50:35 AM »

You obviously don't know how gamez biznizz works, Skofo.
Of course I do.
That's why they're not going to make it for Linux. Ever. Or at least not very soon. It just doesn't seem to be profitable enough for Sandy to get his minions to make a Linux port, even though it wouldn't take too much time or effort to make once there's a Mac version.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 09:54:41 AM »

If you want to change that, a better idea than blaming the way businesses are run is to get people who use Linux to buy more of the games and software that are available for Linux.

From what I hear of shareware games that have been ported to all three platforms, typically the Mac versions sells twice as well as the PC version (if you control for total number of users), whereas the Linux version sells about ten times less as the PC version (again, even when you control for total number of users). If people who used Linux bought more of the games that are available commercially for Linux, they wouldn't have that problem.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 10:14:44 AM »

If you want to change that, a better idea than blaming the way businesses are run is to get people who use Linux to buy more of the games and software that are available for Linux.

From what I hear of shareware games that have been ported to all three platforms, typically the Mac versions sells twice as well as the PC version (if you control for total number of users), whereas the Linux version sells about ten times less as the PC version (again, even when you control for total number of users). If people who used Linux bought more of the games that are available commercially for Linux, they wouldn't have that problem.
Unfortunately pretty much the only viable method of getting a lot of people to try or do something today is television marketing. I don't see any Linux distros or GNU spending thousands or millions of dollars on marketing campaigns any time soon, as they would actually lose all of that money and more due to increased bandwidth costs.

It'll get there eventually, though. What I believe will eventually happen is that big game companies will see that there are profits to be reaped from Macfags, so they'll start producing games with OpenGL to make them compatible with Macs, and then the Mac's second-biggest drawback will diminish and Apple will rise to hold the majority of marketshare and soon enough will shrink Windows into a plankton, then Apple will rise their prices on their hardware even higher than their already ludicrous ones, and that's when word of free software and Linux will start to spread like a wildfire (like of Ron Paul, except by then more people will regularly browse the internet than watch TV so it'll actually make a difference) and then it'll take over and rule all.

I bet everyone in this forum a virtual beer that that will happen.  Beer!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:17:56 AM by Skofo » Logged

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 12:34:02 PM »

Porting between DirectX and OpenGL isn't difficult, many games support both and allow you to choose between them, and since DirectX works much better on Windows than OpenGL on most video cards, I don't think most developers of games, especially games that are high-end graphically, will start using OpenGL exclusively.

Corpus
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 01:02:02 PM »

Things --->
           Huh?
mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 01:38:32 PM »

If Linux users don't buy games, I wonder what these royalties tagged "Linux version" I get every month are.  Hm.  (Primarily Linux even, many people buy the Windows version and get the Linux+Mac versions for free.  Buy for one platform, get all.)

Linux users do buy games, but the market is different.  Not just smaller, different.  Something that sells well on Windows or Mac may not sell as well on Linux, other times it might sell as well (which is really an achievement considering the market is much smaller, but it's really starved for some kinds of games).  Depends on the game.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 01:45:45 PM »

Yeah, I agree, I didn't mean they don't buy games at all, there are exceptions, it varies based on the game. A commercial rougelike might do best on Linux for example, since it might fit the audience well, whereas commercial casual games might do more poorly because there are fewer soccer moms on Linux. It could just be that the perception is that games sell more poorly on Linux because most shareware tends to be casual, which is more suited for Windows and (especially) the Mac.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic