Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 01:33:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Homebrew on the Nintendo DS
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Homebrew on the Nintendo DS  (Read 2190 times)
sjdswanlund
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2009, 02:47:31 PM »

Recently, I've been looking into getting more use out of my Nintendo DS, and I thought getting into the Homebrew scene would be the best way of doing that. I'm definitely interested in being able to use it for more than just playing games, but using it for other media purposes. Also, I want to learn about making my own games and being able to make it DS compatible, as well as being able to download other homebrew games and roms.

However, after googling for a while, as well as looking at some articles on Wikipedia, I'm still having trouble about where to start or knowing which hardware is the best buy or the most recommended. If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it - I have a normal Nintendo DS, no Lite or DSi version.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 08:44:44 PM »

You're going to want DevkitARM with PALib if you want to make any DS homebrew (it's possible without PALib, it just simplifies it).

RC
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »

If you do use devkitPro, be sure to download Programmer's Notepad 2, otherwise it's a bitch to view the examples (and compile, I imagine.)

I acquired it (devkitPro) 3 days before my HDD broke so I didn't have much time to do anything with it, and still haven't to this day, but I am planning on it at some point.

nyarla
Level 0

what

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 11:00:36 PM »

If you install the windows version of devkitARM with the installer, it includes Programmer's Notepad 2 already.

Whenever PAlib is mentioned the devkitPro guys link to this statement: http://wiki.devkitpro.org/index.php/PAlib

..though this may be slightly outdated now, I think there's a new beta version which is compatible with the current libnds version.

Basically they recommend not using PAlib, because, among other reasons, it's built on an out of date and buggy code base, and has a hard time keeping up with changes/fixes in libnds.

If you install devkitARM it comes with heaps of examples showing pretty much everything you need to get started Smiley
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 01:49:17 AM »

Oh wow. Yeah it was about 2 years since I used PALib and devkitARM and the like, anyway, so don't trust me.

sjdswanlund
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 02:29:08 AM »

Do these compatible with Vista and 64 Bit computers?
RC
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 08:14:15 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's compatible with Vista, since that's what I have. Really though that shouldn't matter since you're making NDS games to be played on an NDS or emulator.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 12:20:12 PM »

Last I looked, the GBADev forums were the place to go for DS homebrew related stuff.

roboprez
Level 1

Got to love them pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 01:07:47 AM »

Now from the tone in your first post i'm guessing you can't run homebrew on your DS. you need to buy a Slot-1 device from anywhere you want. My favorite site is http://www.ozmodchips.com/ mainly because it has free shipping in AUS Grin . I recommend getting the M3DS real but the AceCard 2.1 sounds like a good deal as well. Some advice I have is DON'T GET AN R4DS, some reviews say it's really good but at that time there weren't any others to compare it to, it's really outdated.

Now about developing I found this set of tutorials when I was interested in this stuff http://www.dev-scene.com/NDS/Tutorials The first tutorial tells you what you need to download and stuff. I noticed it points out that you need a basic understanding of C programing. Probably why I didn't get to the end of them Tongue

nyarla
Level 0

what

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 01:44:04 AM »

Yeah, you'll need to know or learn some C to get started..

Another really good tutorial is Patater's Manual: http://patater.com/manual

That's the only one I know of which is up to date with the current version of libnds.
It uses C++ rather than C, so there might be a bit more to get your head around..

MegaIlinx
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 10:52:31 PM »

Here's a framework I use to work on DS games. It doesn't use PALib, however it shows how to use the framebuffer and sound. Fixed timestep, and a input/rendering example!

http://willhostforfood.com/files4/3/6/9/3692473/Framework.zip
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic