Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 09:15:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)C++/SDL on Mac.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: C++/SDL on Mac.  (Read 1474 times)
Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2009, 12:11:41 AM »

I'm working on an game using C++/SDL . Now I'm moving my project to my new Macbook pro.
What would you suggest that I use as a development environment. I'm totally new to Mac so I haven't got a clue, more than I've read here that someone used XCode.

Edit: I should be able to figure this out by myself but I'm in a bit of a hurry because I'm leaving for a week of vacation tomorrow and I want to bring my laptop with me in case of bad weather and I'm not sure I'll have an Internet connection. 
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 12:36:30 AM »

I say use XCode, it is a rather nice IDE to use and there are some XCode project templates in the SDL package so you get started with the minimal amount of hassle.

If you have time, I'd recommend watching the first few parts of this WWDC talk (the last parts are good as well but mostly concerned with optimization settings so you can save those for later)

Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 04:10:03 AM »

Thanks buddy, you're a Saint!

EDIT:
Ah... it came on a CD when I bought the computer.
Didn't have to download it then, oh well.
Now I feel real silly.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 04:36:49 AM by Robotacon » Logged
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 05:40:17 AM »

I made that same mistake - it comes on the cd that you don't think you need to use because the OS is already on the system...
XCode is nice. I didn't like it at first (and I still don't think it's perfect) but it grows on you, and has some nice features. And honestly? It seems your choice is between a bloated version of eclipse, XCode, and using make+emacs.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 08:19:23 AM »

XCode. You'll grow to love it.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 06:47:39 PM »

You'll basically need to install XCode even if you don't use it because GCC comes packaged with it.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 07:15:48 PM »

I do all my coding in TextWrangler. It doesn't have some language-specific stuff, like auto-complete, that coders have come to rely on, but it's a damn fine general text editor, and the lack of auto-complete builds character.  Cool

I do all my compiling with either make or shell scripts, and gcc or mxmlc. While I won't try to defend make's design, I do strongly prefer to understand and use the compiler commands directly instead of through an IDE, since I often have to alter the commands.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic