Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 05:46:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Indie Game Legend
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: The Indie Game Legend  (Read 13116 times)
Conker534
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 12:15:51 AM »

Lol Noah, I did the exact same thing!
Hahahah! Same. XD
Chris Pavia
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 12:37:52 AM »

I wonder if that was what Phubans intended for people to think of, or just a strange coincidence???
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 01:21:32 AM »

Finally sat down and played this. Something I somehow never noticed when it was being betatested:

Why is the special weapon a toggle? Why not just have two fire buttons?

Dragonmaw
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 12:05:37 PM »

Relies too heavily on the indie developer schtick. It's fun for a while, but gets tired fairly quickly. I got bored before finishing it. Only reason I really did was because of the parody factor.

So, a resounding "mediocre."
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:43:12 PM by Dragonmaw » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 01:18:54 PM »

Streemerz did the whole parody thing much better imo. The gameplay in that game was at least interesting and fun without the silly insider references to people in the "indie games scene", without which would make this game seem quite uninteresting.
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 02:07:11 PM »

Congratulations Paul! I look forward to seeing it at Wondercon.

ortoslon
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 02:12:49 PM »

Why not just have two fire buttons?
+1

I got bored before finishing it.
i got bored after finishing it
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 03:53:44 PM »

I'm really glad this game was so well received and GDC week was a blast. It's always a pleasure to hang out with such talented and amazing people <3

Thanks to everyone who offered their support and joined in the release party, as well as those of you who didn't make it but still enjoyed the game.

Beer!

Dragonmaw
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2011, 05:06:18 PM »

I got bored before finishing it.
i got bored after finishing it
i got bored during finishing it
Chris Pavia
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2011, 06:00:26 PM »

I did get a bit bored during the final boss fight. It took forever to destroy the eyes. Mostly because the dead mouth blocked the bullets, and they seemed like they had a ton of health.

I still enjoyed it overall though. Looking forward to seeing how Phub's learns from this game and applies it to his next.  Tiger
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2011, 10:31:18 PM »

This turned out awesome! :D I like that this wound up being a real, meaty game and not just sort of a one-off joke.

Random thoughts: I really liked the music, especially in areas 1 and 5. I played with a Dual Shock 3 (using the MotionInJoy 360 gamepad emulator) and the analog control added a lot to the game. A couple of the bosses seemed unreasonably hard at first, but I wound up kind of liking this by the end because when I got stuck on a boss I wound up experimenting and usually finding that one of the special weapons would sort of cheap out that particular boss. So it was like a little puzzle or something.

I found some minor bugs:

- Fire at one of the "chain reaction" tiles. As soon as the explosions start setting off, leave the room, then immediately reenter it. Weird stuff happens.

- You can press the "map" button on the game over screen, and more weird stuff happens. You can also do this on the credits screen and during the "spaceship" sequence and it acts particularly weird on the credits screen (the credits restart)

- I wished I could have customized the control scheme. It would have helped a lot if the "toggle special weapon" button were a shoulder button.

- I started off playing with a gamepad, at one point I quit the game and restarted with the gamepad unplugged. Everything was going super slow and the controls did not seem to work. This happened several times until I plugged the gamepad back in and restarted the game. Also: Every time I started the game from the start/continue menu while using the gamepad, the game would go at about half speed for like 30 seconds, then this would suddenly correct itself completely. Both of these bugs might not be real but just be something weird happening with the MotionInJoy driver (which is super buggy) but you might want to check whether if you start the game with the real 360 controller, then save, then continue with the 360 controller unplugged, you're locked out from playing with KBAM.

- The physics game guy is right next to a room with a save tile, but rescuing physics game guy does not count as an event which allows you to use a save tile afterward. So you potentially have to sit through his speech several times if you die in the room past there, unless you hike back to one of the other save tiles.

- Turn the shield on, then go to the map screen and switch to another weapon. You will be able to use that other weapon but your shield will remain on. Actually this is maybe sort of cool. Dunno

- The bottom left / bottom right saves in the burning sector don't seem to show up as save points on the map after being unlocked?

- Several times when I fought the giant head of Paul Eres it was for some reason playing two different songs on top of each other, the first time at least it seemed to be playing the burning sector music and some sort of special boss music at once. This was also sort of awesome but didn't seem intentional.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2011, 01:31:38 PM »

Wow, great feedback, mcc... Thanks! I wasn't aware of some of these. I think I will probably release a patched version that hopefully fixes most of these issues. I just ran out of time and it was a matter of hitting the release deadline even if it wasn't 100% bug free. Some of these issues, though, I think are way beyond my control. For example, the gamepad slowdown I think relates to Game Maker interfacing with the hardware.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2011, 03:15:22 PM »

Wow, great feedback, mcc... Thanks! I wasn't aware of some of these. I think I will probably release a patched version that hopefully fixes most of these issues. I just ran out of time and it was a matter of hitting the release deadline even if it wasn't 100% bug free. Some of these issues, though, I think are way beyond my control. For example, the gamepad slowdown I think relates to Game Maker interfacing with the hardware.
Actually, I think you could avoid that by making a somekind system which first checks if the pad is plugged or not and is NOT depended on GM's normal save. From my (minor I admit) experience with gamepads with GM has proved that the slowdown happens when game assumes the pad is connected when it is not and tries to check it constantly. I suppose that the save file has saved a variable which tells if the player has plugged the pad? Therefore I think it might help if you preserve that variable in ini for example and make check one time in startup screen. And to be honest, I don't see why it should be saved in first place. I'm not fully sure if this will help sonce I'm not brightest bulb at the moment but I think it should be totally avoidable.

Other than that game is definitely good since it has kept me playing. Iäm not sure if I'll beat the final boss though. One annoying bug I found was that sometimes the mouse cursor kind of locked and wouldn't let me move for some seconds in let's say y- axis for example. Kinda hard to aim boss sometimes. Another annoying thing was how when you froze in that one boss the shield remained on and consumed all energy out when one is frozen while I think it would be better if it just inactivated then.

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2011, 04:29:30 PM »

I just ran out of time and it was a matter of hitting the release deadline even if it wasn't 100% bug free.
Yeah I think that was the right call, all of these bugs are really overlookable and I for one would have rather had the game earlier than had all these tiny bug fixed. It might be cool to see a version with the bugs fixed at some point tho.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2011, 07:24:01 PM »

Okay, I'm stuck on the Frozen level. I can't find the last data key. I've got the one from the shadow maze and the one from the area with the colored blocks passcode. Can I get a hint? Tongue

phubans, man, I apologize again for giving you shit about things. This is a really, really nicely made game.

There is a room that is quite "questionable." I hope that is both clear and ambiguous enough to figure out.

Yeah, I got the data key from that area. Is there more than one shadowed screen in the frozen area? Huh?
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2011, 07:35:18 PM »

PBN, the 3 data keys of sector three are:

1) From the first lock-in room with the speyeders, proceed west, crossing the room with the icy floor and five discs. Blast the pyramids away to reveal a pushable block and a hidden switch. Move the block to one switch and stand on the other.

2) When you reach a room with a ? pattern, walk into the western wall to enter a dark room. Destroy the pyramids and activate two hidden switches to open the door to receive the second data key.

3) At this point, head north and receive the color block hint from Adam Coate. Return to the room with the four color blocks and set them to red, blue, blue, red, respectively. This will open up the sealed door that holds the third data key.

If you've done all of these and the computer terminal still isn't letting you proceed to the boss, then let me know. That might be a bug :/

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2011, 07:36:26 PM »

PBN, the 3 data keys of sector three are:

1) From the first lock-in room with the speyeders, proceed west, crossing the room with the icy floor and five discs. Blast the pyramids away to reveal a pushable block and a hidden switch. Move the block to one switch and stand on the other.

Oh, goddammit, I somehow missed this one. Facepalm Thanks!

edit: Okay, this is weird. I went to that room and found that I had apparently already done it (block in place, switches pressed, key gone), meaning that I had actually got them all. But my key counter still displayed "2/3". Huh?

Anyway, I replayed the game up to that point and things worked all right again. The boss of the frozen zone is a bitch to beat, though. Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 09:23:52 PM by Paint by Numbers » Logged
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2011, 10:42:05 PM »

Has anyone found the easter egg room yet?

Conker534
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2011, 11:43:28 PM »

Maybe. lol
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2011, 12:25:18 AM »

Has anyone found the easter egg room yet?
...mmaybe?

I found the secret room described in the instruction manual.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic