Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411577 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 10:50:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAnother Day, Another Game devlog (now Mac friendly!)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Another Day, Another Game devlog (now Mac friendly!)  (Read 4035 times)
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2012, 12:13:45 AM »

Works In Progress:

Mystical Rug: ~7%
Time Travelly Top Down Shooter: ~25%
Burn, Witch, Burn!: ~5%

Finished:

Caveman
These Tranquil Waters Shall Not Hold
Rabbiteers

Abandoned:
Note: These games may or may not ever become un-abandoned.

Sonar Game
They Took My Home
Color Defense
Lemmpong
Interstellar Planet-Ship Adventures: The Search for… $@#% Aliens!!!!!! (I think I'm done with this one. The very base of the game is flawed in a way that's hard to repair without starting over.)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 05:22:50 PM by johnki » Logged

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 02:13:27 PM »

Mystical Rug 3/29:
Demaking Magic Carpet for fun and to learn a bit. Smiley

I'm going to keep it as close to the limitations of the original Gameboy as possible, but I'm taking a few liberties (*cough*spriterotation*cough*).

You'll notice the bars at the top don't work yet. I just got the castles/forts working, and I am working on getting some AI in and getting the terrain under the terrain placed from the castles updating correctly.

All of the terrain is pretty much placeholder. I don't entirely know about the rest yet.

They Took My Home 4/5:

Started working on a game about a canine taking back his home from hunters and woodsmen. He has a weapon, but it only shoots backwards. Not much else to it but that.

The working title is They Took My Home.

Post on my blog.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:57:15 PM by johnki » Logged

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 09:24:44 PM »

Mystical Rug 4/7:

I think I've got the balloon AI to where I want it. Can't really test it as thoroughly as I want to until more of the game is completed.

Also got the archer AI in and to a workable state. I THINK it's where I want it, as well, but I need to get damage in and all that fun stuff first.

I got the terrain gen for when castles are placed working in the time since I posted here.

Archer screenie:

EDIT: This screenshot makes me really wonder if I need to resize some stuff. Giggle
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:33:17 PM by johnki » Logged

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 01:01:54 AM »

Rabbiteers 4/9:

Took a break from the bigger projects to make a small space-bunny related game for Easter (which I ended up being a bit late for...guess that's what I get for starting ON Easter Big Laff), and to sort of foray into some lesser forms of procedural level generation.

If people take interest in it, I might polish it a bit more and add sound and whatnot (and maybe sneak in more indie game cameos Ninja). I'm already contemplating having a much better version (Rabbiteers 2?!) ready for next Easter.

More info (and download link) on my blog.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 01:19:49 AM by johnki » Logged

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 12:31:51 AM »

Mystical Rug 4/12:
(putting blog link in the title from now on Tongue)

Got worms in and working pretty well.

I also have mana dropping on death for enemies. Adding this seems to have brought back an issue with the balloon AI freezing up.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 12:56:56 AM »

Cool little games.

The minimalistic style reminds me of the old Atari consoles.
What about videos, homes?

Yeah.
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 10:56:37 PM »

Mystical Rug 4/13:

Got health and mana bars for castle in.

Video:

EDIT: Video uploaded!

EDIT2: I used CamStudio for the video. Still messing with settings for best quality vs best FPS, but I think that that one turned out alright.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:45:27 PM by johnki » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 11:21:51 PM »

Started working on a game about a canine taking back his home from hunters and woodsmen. He has a weapon, but it only shoots backwards. Not much else to it but that.

The working title is They Took My Home.

Post on my blog.

I really like the colors in this, especially the fist screenshot.  Although I think the color for the grass in the second image looks a bit out of place, but that could just be me.  Also it took me a moment to realize what you mean by a weapon a dog has that only shoots backwards... Who, Me?

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 11:24:43 PM »

I really like the colors in this, especially the fist screenshot.  Although I think the color for the grass in the second image looks a bit out of place, but that could just be me.  Also it took me a moment to realize what you mean by a weapon a dog has that only shoots backwards... Who, Me?
Heh, thanks. I needed something a bit quirky, hence why I decided on that. It's actually a laser (queue odd story here). Giggle

The grass does look a bit out of place in the second picture, but I don't know if I should change the background color or the grass color. Tongue

To be honest, I haven't made any real progress on this beyond the first prototype. I really like the visual style, and the basic idea, but I just didn't have many ideas for making it stand out amongst a whole wide world of top-down shooters so it's stuck in the planning phase atm (a planning phase that happens to include having added stealth mechanics and dynamic sitting positions for the AI >.>).

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 02:03:13 PM »

Mystical Rug 4/13-2:

Got the first castle upgrade in. Just needs a new sprite. Castles can reach level 2 now.

I also need to work on balloons. Currently, they don't recognize other balloons, and because of it, they're usually both going for the same target.

I keep thinking about putting out a prototype demo soon. Not sure though. I mean, if I put together a level or two, there's some content there, but I've got a long way to go yet.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 11:40:45 PM »

Didn't add a blog entry yet, but I am thinking about changing They Took My Home to be something a little more realistic, eg, I think I'm going to make it so that you have to run up and attack the woodsmen/huntsmen, and your primary means of survival will be a combination of stealth and distractions (for example, you can attack a duck to kill it and pick it up, and then place it to distract a patrolling woodsman who may think something like "oo! free dinner!").

Working on a prototype. Will put up a blog entry and such when I'm done.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 03:31:01 AM »

Testing a new look for a new project. I'm liking it. Probably keeping it. The effect is borrowed.

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 08:10:32 AM »

Testing a new look for a new project. I'm liking it. Probably keeping it. The effect is borrowed.

I like the look of this, has a sort of old timey look to it

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 05:25:11 PM »

Mystical Rug v0.01

Made a temporary test level for the Mystical Rug and I've released the first version. If you have any issues with it, reply to it either here or on my blog. Blog link, as always, is in the header to this post.

There's still not a whole lot to it, but I need some opinions. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. How does the game feel overall?
2. Should movement stay the way it is, or be a constant, slow-degrading velocity like the original?
3. Any suggestions you might have about anything.
4. Bug reports. Tongue

You can either go to my blog, or download it directly here.

EDIT: A list of controls and known issues is on the blog, but to shorthand controls:

Arrow keys: Movement.
Z - Fire selected spell.
X - Turn around.
Shift - Change selection.

EDIT: Did a quick fix fixing an issue with worms getting stuck and the player not being able to die.

EDIT2:

I realized that not everyone may have played Magic Carpet in the past, so here's a basic play guide.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:45:41 AM by johnki » Logged

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 05:39:01 PM »

Interstellar Planet-Ship Adventures: The Search for... $@#% Aliens!!!!!!

Alright, I did a game for Ludum Dare which can be viewed here:
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-23/?action=preview&uid=8693

And the updated post-LD version, with a few bugfixes and a slightly improved guide, is here:
http://anotherdayanotherga.me/games/ld23/IPSA-post-compo.rar

I think I want to continue it. It was an idea that definitely needed more time to cook, and more than definitely needed a proper tutorial, and it's an idea that I got really attached to while developing it, and ended with me not feeling I put enough into it , with a few points being that there are really only 3 dangers, only one of which is a true "enemy", that it needs proper pathfinding, and a few little things, such as checking to make sure a building doesn't already exist where you're placing the building weren't implemented due to time constraints.

A lot of the remarks were that it looked cool, it sounded cool, and it was impossibly difficult to figure out on your own. Some even had trouble figuring it out with the guide. I want to fix that, so I might put out a few updates over the next week or two, including more obstacles.

I'm still totally open to feedback on it, as well. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 05:44:12 PM by johnki » Logged

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 07:00:46 PM »

Tentative checklist for IPSA improvements:

- Redo the way selection is handled.

- Redo the build system to be more intuitive.

- Add pathfinding.

- More enemies/obstacles.

- Fix the way food works.

EDIT: If anyone plays it and notices anything else that should be changed, let me know and I'll add it to the list of improvements to make.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:05:32 PM by johnki » Logged

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 01:29:40 PM »

These Tranquil Waters Shall Not Hold

It's a game about exploring the depths of the ocean in a submarine, looking for treasures, or anything else that may be hidden down there.

Five items to find. Three achievements.

Download

Controls are arrow keys to move, left click to shoot, right click to use sonar, and R to change render distance between 500 and 1000 pixels.

Made for GMC Jam #6.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:35:48 PM by johnki » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 01:34:32 PM »

Your link is broken.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 01:36:11 PM »

Your link is broken.
Bleh. That's what I get for copy-pasting, then modifying from the GMC, heh.

Fixed it.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 04:50:23 PM »

I made a not-game for MiniLD #37. It's a about a caveman. Pretty much nothing to it, other than the day/night and seasonal systems. Tongue

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/minild-37/?action=preview&uid=8693

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic