Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411670 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 12:24:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDo You Mud?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Do You Mud?  (Read 5515 times)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2007, 02:44:07 PM »

I just started playing WotMUD. I have been looking for a good MUD for a long time but couldn't really find one that caught my interest. I tried out Achaea and then found out that in order to get anywhere in the game you pretty much have to buy in-game credits (which the idea of buying credits on a MUD justs seems absurd to me) and a few others not worth mentioning. Needless to say I found this WotMUD and it liked it a lot (I may be a little partial though since I was a fan of the books). Anyways, this all got me to thinking that perhaps there were some fellow Mudders here. So what (if any) MUD do you guys enjoy?

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 04:22:22 PM »

I used to MUD at a place called addictMUD.. played there a couple of years as a literal addict. I won't really recommend it though, since it is more lowkey then it used to be and I'm not up with MUDs lately plus I intensely dislike MUDding now.

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 07:20:49 PM »

Finding a good mud with more than 20 concurrent players can be tough these days. On the other hand if you like text and smaller communities, muds still are good choices.

For a bigger mud you might want to try Carrion Fields. Pretty much a hack and slash, PvP mud.

For something different, also PvP, you can't go wrong with God Wars II. Steep learning curve, but I'd put it in the top 5 muds out there right now.

I highly recommend Legends of Karinth. Friendly, some amazing gameplay.

There are probably a few dozen other good ones I can't think of off the top of my head. Some skimming of forums at The MudConnector and Top Mud Sites will net you a few more. 

You could try the list of free muds at mudquest.org too.
Xotes
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 07:42:03 PM »

I used to play Shadows of Isildur. It was quite fun, for a while. But, I got bored, got lost, and got eaten by a pack of wargs. Managed to kill one of 'em, at least. I thought my leather armor could have at least done more.

“I have brought you T, Master. It took quite a lot of searching on your Galaxy’s non-holographic communications network, but no man is beyond the reach of a Sith.”

Meanwhile, poor Mr. T was left to hang upside down in the middle of the room, informing us that we were both fools, to be pitied.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 08:03:35 PM »

Finding a good mud with more than 20 concurrent players can be tough these days.

Yeah it is. This WotMUD actually has about 100 people a day on average. I found another MUD that actually looks pretty damn awesome: Materia Magica. There are always a good number of people on (around 125-150) and it has some cool features such as in game rogue-like maps. I haven't actually made a char on it yet but I plan on it soon...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 09:48:37 PM »

I'm pretty sure Materia Magica is a pay-for-credits mud as well. There's no doubt most of the larger muds are pay-for-credits. I should have qualified what I said to mean, 'free muds with more than 20 players'.
Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 11:42:32 PM »

After playing Armageddon & a little bit of Shadows of Isildur, I can't really go back to any MUD with low roleplaying standards, it's just far too off-putting.

But, it's probably pretty inaccurate to group RPI muds and hack & slash muds, they're more or less entirely different things that both just use similar interfaces.

But yeah, in general, I think playing MUDs can be a little unhealthy.

Pixel Art: Portfolio || Twitter: @pita_akm || Tumblr: silver deluxe
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 12:17:21 AM »

Not currently but I've definitely logged my hours. I spent 2000-2002 on Medieva and some DBZ mud who's name I can't quite remember. More recently (about six months ago) I played this incredible MUD who's name completely eludes me where you exist in this awesome desert sci-fi setting, it was full PK and totally hard and brutal, every time you died you needed a new character, it was such an adventure. Knowing that it was over the first and only time you die added such an element of fear and pressure that made it incredible. I wish I could remember its name so I could share it (not to mention play again myself), but I've been searching through mudconnect and come up empty so I apologize for wasting your time.
Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 12:28:38 AM »

...I played this incredible MUD who's name completely eludes me where you exist in this awesome desert sci-fi setting, it was full PK and totally hard and brutal...

This sounds like Armageddon  :D

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 12:32:40 AM »

I used to run a little MUD called Indigo, based on the CircleMUD 3.0 source back in the late 90s.  It was hosted on a linux machine at Moscow State University for awhile -- indigo.msu.ru:1234.  Long gone now.  I also used to hang around on StuphMUD in the 90s, and got my start on EliteMud.  Both of those are still around I think, and are both also CircleMud variants.

Anyways.  fun times. but MUDs have been supplanted by IRC for me.  

Hacking around an open-source MUD codebase could be the basis of a fun Text The Halls entry! 

@doomlaser, mark johns
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 08:45:10 AM »

I'm pretty sure Materia Magica is a pay-for-credits mud as well. There's no doubt most of the larger muds are pay-for-credits. I should have qualified what I said to mean, 'free muds with more than 20 players'.

Damn, figures as much. Well I know WotMUD isn't pay for credits and it has about 100 people online on average which looks like about the best that I'll be able to find in terms of free. I think I may have to check out this Armageddon though...is there really a lot of roleplay there? That is what I am mainly looking for and it seems that on this WotMUD you have to really work at getting into a dedicated clan that does RP.

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 01:29:18 PM »

I think I may have to check out this Armageddon though...is there really a lot of roleplay there? That is what I am mainly looking for and it seems that on this WotMUD you have to really work at getting into a dedicated clan that does RP.

Armageddon is well known as a RP mud. Though one thing I've noticed in mudding is people's definitions of RP can be as different as you can imagine. It's worth checking out at least, let us know what you find.

There are some RP mud (RPI for RP intensive) lists out there, one is http://www.rpimud.com/home.php
Durruti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 12:10:39 AM »

It's terribly difficult for me to find a decent MUD that interests me and doesn't require money to play well. I might check out Armageddon, but...personally I'm tired as hell (at the moment) of the carbon copy fantasy realms that most MUDs seem to favor (not to say that Armageddon is just that, but it does seem like a typical sword and sorcery deal). I'd really like to see a MUD featuring something different; a post-apocalyptic wasteland or a cyberpunk sprawl or something. Even clichés like those would be a nice change.

If I knew anything at all about programming/running MUDs, I'd try to make one out of a certain TTRPG setting that I like and that I think would work really well for a MUD, but unfortunately I'm incompetent.
Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 03:13:00 AM »

I might check out Armageddon, but...personally I'm tired as hell (at the moment) of the carbon copy fantasy realms that most MUDs seem to favor (not to say that Armageddon is just that, but it does seem like a typical sword and sorcery deal). I'd really like to see a MUD featuring something different; a post-apocalyptic wasteland or a cyberpunk sprawl or something. Even clichés like those would be a nice change.

I think you will find it feels much more akin to a post-apocalyptic wasteland than it is to swords and sorcery. You'll probably spend a lot of your time just trying to earn water, and will probably never see magic. The species only resemble typical fantasy through name, hardly by nature or appearance.

But, I agree with you, I really want to play an actual post-apocalypic or cyberpunk MUD that has a playerbase of more than 5.

axel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 03:47:58 AM »

I found out about MUD games a couple of years ago, and I started playing Medievia, and this other one who's name I can't remember anymore. It was pretty fun while it lasted, but I lost interest after a while, mostly because I couldn't get any of my friends to join me ("ASCII graphics, ewww!"). But hey, I think you just inspired me to revisit the world of MUD again Smiley

Chainsaw surgery.
postlogic
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 02:24:06 PM »

Yeah it is. This WotMUD actually has about 100 people a day on average. I found another MUD that actually looks pretty damn awesome: Materia Magica. There are always a good number of people on (around 125-150) and it has some cool features such as in game rogue-like maps. I haven't actually made a char on it yet but I plan on it soon...

I got addicted to Materia Magica not long ago. Very fun to play.

Damn, figures as much. Well I know WotMUD isn't pay for credits and it has about 100 people online on average which looks like about the best that I'll be able to find in terms of free. I think I may have to check out this Armageddon though...is there really a lot of roleplay there? That is what I am mainly looking for and it seems that on this WotMUD you have to really work at getting into a dedicated clan that does RP.

I never saw anything about paying anything in Materia Magica, nor on their website, nor on wikipedia when I just checked.

No animals were harmed during the making of this post. Except one.
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 03:12:57 PM »

Yeah it is. This WotMUD actually has about 100 people a day on average. I found another MUD that actually looks pretty damn awesome: Materia Magica.
I was actually gonna mention this earlier; but I forgot the name. I played it for quite some time. It was great.

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 04:07:01 PM »

I never saw anything about paying anything in Materia Magica, nor on their website, nor on wikipedia when I just checked.

That's good to know -- when I mentioned it before I did check, and found this:

http://www.materiamagica.com/store/ru/earn_ru.php

But it sounds like it wasn't that big a deal in game?
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 02:58:25 AM »

Yeah, I read the same thing on their website as well. I think that they are just wanting to reward those that contribute in some way, it doesn't sound like it is anything like Achaea...

And admittedly I am digging the ASCII in-game map Smiley

Why don't more muds have this?

Even though I do like the challenge at having to memorize my surroundings.

postlogic
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007, 05:53:26 AM »

I didn't see any mention of that reward thing among people chatting when I played it, so it's probably no big deal.

Also it's fun running around, and suddenly you level up because the Gods rewards you for doing something you didn't know you were doing.

No animals were harmed during the making of this post. Except one.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic