Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411567 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 04:17:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDo you smoke?
Poll
Question: Do you smoke tobacco?
No, never - 221 (63.7%)
I used to but I quit - 23 (6.6%)
On occasion, but not every day - 33 (9.5%)
Yes, daily - 25 (7.2%)
Yeah, but I'm trying to quit - 8 (2.3%)
I smoke other stuff, but not cigarettes - 37 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 290

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Do you smoke?  (Read 35701 times)
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 09:01:50 PM »

For frame of reference, I've been running since I was 13; I'm two-oh right now.

I didn't start smoking cig's till I was 18 -- I was sloshed, somebody handed me a cig, it was great. I was in a similar boat as phubans: I began smoking enough of my friend's cigarettes that he said I should buy my own pack. I did. I smoked a good deal of them that night, but I had a good 8 or so left the following morning. My circle of friends at college all chain smoked, so one thing lead to another and I had a sober cigarette. I smoked off and on throughout my first year of college.

I have an addictive personality, so I began enjoying the craving for the cigarettes more than the actual cigarettes -- secondhand smoke is fucking terrible, and I only dig the taste of a very select few flavors/brands. I also was a total fucking hipster, thinking it completed my outfit of Iggy Pop T-shirts, tight pants, and Converse sneakers. I blame Cowboy Bebop for infecting my head into believing they were glamorous; Spike Spiegal did them and he was totally cool (back when I was thirteen).

I hit a depressive spell earlier this year and began smoking cigarettes for a lack of anything better to do. I'd binge on them, smoking a pack a night and not touching them for a week or so. Now I'm trying to quit but it's annoying as hell -- I'm tapering off and hope to quit by the month's end. My reason to do so? I'm starting to get smoke lines in my otherwise baby-face. I'm also trying to set a good example for the kids I teach -- I hate being a hypocrite. That, and I'd run ten miles and spark up a cigarette immediately afterwards.

Also, people this north are notoriously militant with bumming smokes up here. It gets irritating once people find out you smoke. Motherfuckers bug me while I'm in the middle of a run, for christsakes.

Fuck cigarettes.  Cool

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 09:09:46 PM »

Eh, the only reason I wanted to quit is because I figured it makes exercise harder, and I've recently got into running/jogging lately. Though, if you're actually able to run 10 miles as a smoker, then why the hell not?? Besides, if I'm doing enough cardio it should reverse most of the negative effects of smoking.

Besides, even as a non-smoker I've been suffering from all kinds of problems for the past few years; messed up sinuses (due to allergies, probably), a pain in the top-left side of my head and also a pain on the left side of my body, right below my ribs (both of these spots are always in pain, even now, for the past 2 - 3 years) I wouldn't be surprised if I have a brain tumor or colon cancer, and since I don't have insurance I'm only limited to free clinics with doctors that don't seem to really care about giving me a thorough evaluation, telling me that "nothing vital is there," or "it's probably okay"... Whatever. I gave up on caring.

The bottom line is, death is certain and life is not. I could be struck by a truck tomorrow or killed in an earthquake tonight. I think it's pretty unlikely that cigarettes will be my demise, especially since no one in my family has ever died of lung cancer in spite of being smokers (although, my mom's dad had emphysema but he killed himself, so who knows if it would have actually killed him)

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 09:16:55 PM »

Well, my grandmother had lung cancer after smoking for a couple decades. I'm only trying to quit for superficial reasons anywho -- I have done and continue to do worse things to my body. I just don't feel the positive effects outweigh the negatives. That... and it's $8+ dollars a pack in rural AK.

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 09:29:18 PM »

No, never. I passionately hate cigarettes, and I hate when my friends smoke because my hair and clothes get impregnated of cigarette smell. Why do people even do it in the first place is completely beyond my comprehension.
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 09:50:57 PM »

I roll my own, and I smoke about a pack/year

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 11:43:53 PM »

While I have nothing against the userbase preference, I kinda love the close minded accusations of I DONT KNOW WHY PEOPLE DO IT WHAT THE FUCK, HOW CAN THEY EVEN LIKE IT.

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2010, 12:09:18 AM »

Paul, quit making fucking excuses.

Also, another part of the reason I don't smoke.  My Mom said she'd beat me up if I did.

My Mom is awesome.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Bandages
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 12:09:53 AM »

Do spliffs count?  Durr...?
Ant
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010, 12:39:47 AM »

No, never. I passionately hate cigarettes, and I hate when my friends smoke because my hair and clothes get impregnated of cigarette smell. Why do people even do it in the first place is completely beyond my comprehension.

^this

My dad and brother smoke which is probably why I hate it so much. Plus I don't really like the idea that my own state of mind is constrained by whether I have a cig in my pocket.

Besides, if I'm doing enough cardio it should reverse most of the negative effects of smoking.

There are so many other negative effects from smoking beyond giving you pensioner lungs.
desdinova
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2010, 12:53:33 AM »

While I have nothing against the userbase preference, I kinda love the close minded accusations of I DONT KNOW WHY PEOPLE DO IT WHAT THE FUCK, HOW CAN THEY EVEN LIKE IT.
+1

Once every so often I enjoy kicking back with a smoke.  It's relaxing, something to look forward to and I don't smoke every day so it's not killing my fitness.

I used to have a friend who absolutely hated smoking and smokers with a passion, saying how unhealthy it was yet two times a week he'd drink enough to puke and pass out.  Still, I can understand people hating it given how bad it smells on your clothes and how unhealthy addiction can get.
charlie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2010, 01:04:37 AM »

I smoke. I worked my habit up from a patch or two a day to a 40 a day unfiltered roll up dependency.

Seriously though, as suave, sophisticated AND cool as smoking will make you, you probably shouldn't start. It's not an easy habit to shake.

Cheers
Charlie

Check out my games: http://www.charliesgames.com
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2010, 01:13:21 AM »

I smoke about 4 packs a year, mostly Djarume, because I like the taste and aroma. I'm also an occasional pipe smoker. So I guess I'm somewhere in between 'not every day' and 'I smoke other stuff'.

man of doom
Level 2

It's not Tom and Jerry!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2010, 03:07:34 AM »

Nope. My parents both do, as does my sister, but it's never appealed to me. I'm unhealthy enough with my eating and drinking habits without adding smoking on top.

I'm curious about smoking 'other stuff' but I prefer to drink at parties (which is when most opportunities present themselves) and don't want to mix things up.

Plus I'm poor and couldn't afford to if I wanted to.

http://manofdoom.co.uk
Where all my stuff is at!
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-doom
Various musical stuff of mine
Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2010, 03:58:12 AM »

How can someone smoke 1 or 4 packs a year, surely that'd be like giving up then starting again inbetween each time you smoke?  WTF

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2010, 04:02:09 AM »

I smoke polls.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2010, 04:12:52 AM »

How can someone smoke 1 or 4 packs a year, surely that'd be like giving up then starting again inbetween each time you smoke?  WTF

Not everyone smokes because they are addicted, some people enjoy the act of smoking, even non smokers can get a calming effect when taking a puff. Smoking also provides an easy excuse to take breaks, or get some time outside when stuck somewhere hot and stuffy, such as kitchen workers, or at a bar.

That said, I don't smoke.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2010, 04:14:34 AM »

I don't smoke, I'm cool.  Cool
Sorano
Level 6

Game Designer / Double Stallion Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2010, 04:31:56 AM »

One of the things that was enjoyable was that when I smoked or people saw me smoke, it was never easier to start a conversation with random strangers or acquaintances in bars or parties.

I guess that was what I enjoyed more. I did enjoy the buzz also, honestly.

But they're just too bad for your health. It's not worth it. Killed my uncle with a random aneurism in the middle of the night.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2010, 04:55:00 AM »

I buy a pack and then smoke about two or three times a week, when there's an occasion (at the bar, on a long walk home, when someone who I'm talking with smokes), and when the pack runs out I wait a few weeks before buing another. I don't consider myself a smoker (like in 'addicted to cigarettes').

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2010, 05:02:57 AM »

Meh, just a parent that does.
I'm not even old enough to smoke.  Cool
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic