Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411558 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 10:34:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Journalist - A non-violent action game (OUT NOW)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Journalist - A non-violent action game (OUT NOW)  (Read 2149 times)
Jungwoo Yom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 04, 2023, 10:01:56 AM »

The Journalist

The Journalist is a non-violent action game that aims to capture the magic of shooting film photography.

December 2023

March 2024

You have to consider many things when taking a picture. For example, the picture will be ruined if you move while the shutter is open. After shooting a roll of film, you have to visit film lab to develop it. Only then you can see the result.

If you're interested in this project, you can wishlist it on Steam or join the mailing list. I'll notify you once the game is out.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 06:06:25 AM by Jungwoo Yom » Logged

Landline is out now on Steam

Currently working on The Journalist.
Jungwoo Yom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 04:38:13 AM »

Steam page for The Journalist is now online! You can wishlist it now: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2724770/The_Journalist

Jungwoo Yom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 08:33:13 AM »

In The Journalist, you can drive around the city freely.

I want cars to have roles more than just vehicles. I am still thinking about this part, so I'll share it later.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 06:15:48 PM by Jungwoo Yom » Logged

Jungwoo Yom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 09:08:37 AM »

This is the game's main character with her camera. She winks when looking into a viewfinder.

Jungwoo Yom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 05:13:08 PM »

gif version of the image I posted a couple days ago! I am also improving some other animations.

Wishlist The Journalist on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2724770/The_Journalist

Jungwoo Yom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 09:19:48 AM »

The game is set in Seoul. Still very early stage in level design, but here's the current state.

kason.xiv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 12:50:55 PM »

Looks cool! The character is cute. Would love to see some more detail on the buildings/the city in general.
Jungwoo Yom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 08:34:52 AM »

Looks cool! The character is cute. Would love to see some more detail on the buildings/the city in general.

Thank you so much! Smiley I am not satisfied with the current state of the city too, so I am planning to polish the enviornment as soon as I finish working on main missions. Cheers!

Jungwoo Yom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2024, 08:36:27 AM »

Sneak peak at one of many missions in the game. You have to take picture of a certain person. But there shouldn't be another person in the frame. People are moving constantly, so it's little tricky.

I decided to focus on implementing a lot of different ideas. Stay tuned!

Jungwoo Yom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2024, 08:36:12 AM »

Little corner of the city I've been working on recently. I am aiming to capture the cozy feeling of cloudy day, but I don't want it to be bleak. I am trying different things to achieve this.

Don't forget to wishlist The Journalist on Steam! https://store.steampowered.com/app/2724770/The_Journalist

Jungwoo Yom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2024, 06:59:43 PM »

I finally added the indoor space of the lab. It's still work in progress, but I wanted to share here. After shooting a roll of film, you can now go to this lab to develop it.

I also worked on speech balloon system. I don't really like dialogue-heavy games, so it'll be used limitedly.

Jungwoo Yom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2024, 07:10:46 AM »

Making trailer is always very rewarding as it acts as an important milestone in the whole production process. I wanted to make a trailer for quite some time. Back in December, I wanted to create trailer to let people know I am actually working on the game. But I thought making a trailer too early in the development would be just something little more than a formality. So I worked on a game for another two months, and finally made a trailer. Here goes!

It features soundtrack from the game. There are several more chill songs composed by Dongbaek, whom I met in College last year. You can look forward to it!

The game still has to be improved a lot, but I am very happy with releasing the trailer. Getting little more wishlists than usual too. If you haven't wishlisted the game, please consider doing so!

Jungwoo Yom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2024, 09:50:01 PM »

This is a work-in-progress chapter select. I wanted to make the access to each chapter convenient. Like Braid or Journey.

This board is inspired by The French Dispatch. Title designs are placeholders, so It will be improved later.

Jungwoo Yom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2024, 09:46:12 AM »

I worked on this speech bubble this week. Players will be able to talk to various citizens all around the city. With some of them giving players a side quest.

Side quests will be less complicated than main missions, but instead, they will pose a different kind of challenge.

Jungwoo Yom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2024, 06:06:47 PM »

I have a lot to share today! There have been some major changes to the level. First and foremost, the marketplace.

It's much bigger than before. There are some important missions that take place here, so the new size affects gameplay too. I am going to keep adding stuff here, so stay tuned!

In my previous games, there were hardly any tutorial. Players used to be confused and quit. Therefore, I decided to implement a more structured tutorial this time. But I don't like handholding players too much, so I am trying to find the sweet spot.

The overall level has been greatly improved too. New buildings added, props placed, etc. Although It's not easy ensuring the whole enviornment asthetically coherent, it's also quite a fun process!

That's all for today. I'd be appreciated if you could wishlist the game on Steam! See you again next time.

Jungwoo Yom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2024, 02:41:13 AM »

Gameplay sneak peek!

Jungwoo Yom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2024, 10:33:17 AM »

The result screen now has this little animation that arranges all photos.

The Journalist launches on March 28 PDT, so wishlist it now!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2724770/The_Journalist

Jungwoo Yom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2024, 06:01:14 PM »

The Journalist is out now on Steam!

Thanks to everyone who supported me along the journey!

Jungwoo Yom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2024, 07:11:26 AM »

Some gamers and curators have written a review! They were really helpful in assessing my game objectively, and I am so grateful!

The Journalist is out now on Steam, and is on introductory sale right now!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2724770/The_Journalist

Tangleworm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2024, 11:32:33 PM »

Congratulations on the launch! I really admire that you've realized a non-violent action game.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic