Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 10:53:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessPlatform/Business advice wanted
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Platform/Business advice wanted  (Read 2206 times)
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« on: December 17, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »

I'm looking to make a 2D fighting game, simple enough idea. It has pixel art, the resolution is fairly low.

I'm wondering which platform I should initially develop it for. I'm looking to potentially make at least some kind of financial profit from this.

Platforms I have options for are simply PC/Mac/Linux or Xbox/PC/Zune. iPhone is also an open door, but I'm extremely worried on how well you'd be able to control the characters. Framerate is also an inevitable issue.

I'm also wondering what you all think of a lo-fi pixeled fighter. Would you pay money for it? My thought is probably not. What about high-res hand drawn graphics? My thought on pricing is either 5 or 10 USD.

Swattkidd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 08:11:54 PM »

I dont think we can really judge whether or not we would buy the game based on whether the graphics will be "low res" or "high res." Its more of how well you execute it, what features it has, and if its actually fun, so we would definitely need to see something first, at the minimum, a mockup.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 08:27:59 PM »

Well, my concern in that is people not considering a game as "money's worth", if it's graphics are small pixel graphics. This worry can almost go away for an iPhone game, but anything else gets sketchy. If I decide to go the Xbox route, they will be stretched on peoples' screens, and that definitely won't look very good. I know many people(including me) judge games by their presentation initially. I'm worried about potentially 'bad' graphics turning customers off from the game.

I'll put together a mockup sometime soon, tomorrow is a busy day for me.

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 09:25:34 PM »

If the game is fun, then it can potentially sell. But the problem is convincing people to buy it. So the game does need to offer something more than selecting a bunch of characters and fighting with some other players or AI.

I like turtles.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 01:43:26 AM »

For fighting games only consoles really make sense. You need two good controllers and few PC/Mac users will have them. Even those who do may not have their PC set up such that it's comfortable for two players to sit in front of the screen.

The other thing to bear in mind is that fighting games are actually really deep and incredibly carefully balanced. Given that the game's visuals aren't going to be the selling point it needs to sell on gameplay. Are you the kind of player that can pull of

? If not, you'll have a tough time designing for those that can.

jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 11:41:38 AM »

You need two good controllers and few PC/Mac users will have them.

My thoughts exactly.

In addition, it seems to me that fighting games are one of those styles of games where people EXPECT good graphics.  It's like, story telling is not really important in a fighting game, whereas in a platforming game, it can make or break a game.

Not saying that you won't be able to pull it off or anything...

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 01:39:36 PM »

For fighting games only consoles really make sense. You need two good controllers and few PC/Mac users will have them. Even those who do may not have their PC set up such that it's comfortable for two players to sit in front of the screen.

The other thing to bear in mind is that fighting games are actually really deep and incredibly carefully balanced. Given that the game's visuals aren't going to be the selling point it needs to sell on gameplay. Are you the kind of player that can pull of

? If not, you'll have a tough time designing for those that can.

Really good points there.

I don't know about 29, especially in that game. Smiley
But I get what you're trying to say, and definitely yes. I'm a big long time fighting game fan, I've been playing them and such even since before I started with shmups.

Due to them being so complicated, I haven't really felt ready to make one up until now. For gameplay, I have a few ideas, although I don't think I'm going to really be bringing anything new to the table. Right now I want to just focus on a solid, varied fighting game.

I was also thinking about developing in Flash, but I think I can knock that idea already.  WTF

I think XNA will be a good way to go for this.

G.I.L.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 07:35:39 PM »

Xna sounds like a good idea to me. As others have said it is all about the game play but dont under due the graphics either(pixel graphics can still be trippy maybe you can post a mockup.) Anyways I am a fan of fighting games and i would be willing to pay a dollar or two if it was released on XBL.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 09:50:02 PM »

I don't have a full on mockup, but I can give you an example of the final sprite for one of the main characters:

If I'm going to go Xbox though, I'm definitely going to need something  bigger. My thoughts are to do something in a similar manner to Odin Sphere or BlazBlue, although I can almost guarantee the graphics won't look nearly as pleasing.

I'm not focusing too heavily on the gameplay mechanics this first prototype. I'd like to get a working system and setup going first, then I can start adding depth layers to the game.

I do hope my game will be worth more than just a buck or two, but if that's what it comes down to, I don't mind.

I just want to make a cool fighting game.  Beer!

[EDIT]
I dug this up, a mockup of what the game will somewhat look like if drawn. The art will be better in just about every way, but it may give you an idea.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 10:06:07 PM by Jakman4242 » Logged

G.I.L.
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 08:47:35 AM »

Wow i really like that mockup  Kiss The character sprite looks good and since it would be on xbox i think i would pay 1-3 dollars for it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic