Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411540 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58441 Members - Latest Member: Amit Kumar

May 03, 2024, 01:28:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHeart&Slash - [RELEASED ON XBOXONE AND PS4]
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Heart&Slash - [RELEASED ON XBOXONE AND PS4]  (Read 88621 times)
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2014, 05:38:14 AM »

Interesting. You should use that post as a KS update as well

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2014, 07:45:50 AM »

Yes that's the plan! I just want to post here first since it seems the fair thing to do.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2014, 09:06:57 AM »

Yes that's the plan! I just want to post here first since it seems the fair thing to do.
Oh, and congrats at hitting 50% funded!

Although, this is just personal concern of mine, but I always get wary when I see someone back at the highest pledge. Not to say some people aren't that generous, but there have been several incidents of trolling, such as what happened with the Shadowbinder campaign
The second Kickstarter campaign from the team was caught by the Kick-Trolling phenomenon which had affected some Kickstarter campaigns recently. This is when people pledge at the highest level for a project – then pull out just before the final date.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2014, 10:37:08 AM »

Although, this is just personal concern of mine, but I always get wary when I see someone back at the highest pledge. Not to say some people aren't that generous, but there have been several incidents of trolling, such as what happened with the Shadowbinder campaign
The second Kickstarter campaign from the team was caught by the Kick-Trolling phenomenon which had affected some Kickstarter campaigns recently. This is when people pledge at the highest level for a project – then pull out just before the final date.

Christian, THANK SO MUCH for your continuing support for this campaign.

I am very aware of the Kick-trolling phenomenon. Our backer (whose profile name I won't divulge) seems legit, though. He has backed over 110 projects and at least one of them it seems he backed at $10k (since I read about the reward -which is consistent with ours- and didn't read anything about him withdrawing).

HOWEVER: I might be wrong. And even if I'm not, having 40% of your funding rest on only one backer (who can back away for reasons other than trolling - it's a lot of money and I understand people can have second thoughts) is not ideal. As of now, we are operating under the assumption that we need to raise our number of backers anyways (since we have very few backers overall compared to other campaigns).

As to how to do that: I'm at a a loss.

sephi_6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2014, 01:51:21 AM »

Your game looks amazing guys. Instant backed! Congratulations

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2014, 01:52:08 AM »

Your game looks amazing guys. Instant backed! Congratulations

Thanks dude! We are just doing ok, we need all the help we can get at this point...

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2014, 01:55:49 AM »

Only two days and you're already over half funded! Sorry I don't have the money to back, but this game has a lot of potential! I'm sure you'll succeed.

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2014, 01:59:20 AM »

Only two days and you're already over half funded! Sorry I don't have the money to back, but this game has a lot of potential! I'm sure you'll succeed.

The problem is that we have a 5k pledge, that although I think it's legit, it's making some of the team nervous.

Our backer numbers are not that high, and I'm at a loss on how to increase them (tried pretty much everything I can think of).

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2014, 02:02:49 AM »

The problem is that we have a 5k pledge, that although I think it's legit, it's making some of the team nervous.

Our backer numbers are not that high, and I'm at a loss on how to increase them (tried pretty much everything I can think of).
Ah, I see how that could make you nervous. Have you been marketing the game? Sending emails to press? Not that I have much experience yet, but those are pretty much necessities when running a kickstarter. Also, are you running a greenlight? It'll be a boost for both if you do a greenlight at the same time. Apparently the first few days of a greenlight get you a ton of views (on the greenlight page) so if you have a link there it'll be sure to bring a lot of people in.

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2014, 02:05:29 AM »

Ah, I see how that could make you nervous. Have you been marketing the game? Sending emails to press? Not that I have much experience yet, but those are pretty much necessities when running a kickstarter. Also, are you running a greenlight? It'll be a boost for both if you do a greenlight at the same time. Apparently the first few days of a greenlight get you a ton of views (on the greenlight page) so if you have a link there it'll be sure to bring a lot of people in.

Yes to all this. Some people seem put off by the theme of the game, and while some press have been incredible, there were two big KS games launched along ours that basically meant we haven't got any REALLY big mention except for Kotaku (who were amazing).

I mean, we are at it full steam, and very optimistic about people who like the project liking it a lot, but don't take funding for granted! That's the worst thing that could happen to us right now...

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: February 18, 2014, 02:08:33 AM »

Yes to all this. Some people seem put off by the theme of the game, and while some press have been incredible, there were two big KS games launched along ours that basically meant we haven't got any REALLY big mention except for Kotaku (who were amazing).

I mean, we are at it full steam, and very optimistic about people who like the project liking it a lot, but don't take funding for granted! That's the worst thing that could happen to us right now...
Well you're doing everything right. I know its impossible not to worry when its your baby that needs funded, but I'm confident you'll get funded. I just hope you get overfunded long before the final day so you're all not on edge the entire time.

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 19, 2014, 03:47:43 AM »

So, another pre-kickstarter devlog update.

I've been asked a couple of times here and in Reddit how am I tackling the combat in the game. Sometimes the comments came because people thought it looked good and sometimes because people thought it looks "floaty", or not deep enough. So there it goes.

As always, feedback from this forum would be greatly appreciated!

PS: I will combine the two first images in one so they are not so big).

EXPLAINING THE HEART OF HEART&SLASH COMBAT

Hello there, Juan Raigada, Lead Developer, here.

This is going to be a more technical post than usual.

Since we released the first info on Heart&Slash, there has been many questions, mostly by fellow developers, curious as to how we are tackling the combat system in the game. Some of those comments were motivated by people who genuinely think it looks snappy and fluid, but a few of you were worried the combat might feel "floaty".

With this update I want to both give some insight into Heart&Slash design process and to quell those fears.

When I started developing Heart&Slash, one of the main concerns was to indeed avoid the floatiness a lot of Unity games use. Most times, this floatiness comes from using Unity's built in physic system, and a good solution is to write your own physics system.

However, for Heart&Slash this is overkill. We are a full 3D game with many objects on-screen, so we need to take full advantage of Unity's integrated physics. Ultimately we dealt with movement floatiness by hardcoding speed ramps for movement and jumping, thus creating a solid experience that is frame rate independent and allows us frame-by-frame control.

This, for example, is the curve that controls jump speed:

It's subtle, but you can see that instead letting a physics system take care of speed, we set the speed directly depending on how far into the jump the character is.

With movement taken care of, I decided to tackle combat. More specifically hit detection, cancelling, and frame protection for both damage and interruptibility. Since Heart&Slash will have a lot of content, it was crucial that this system was flexible (we, for example, need the ability to cancel attacks form one weapon into attacks from another weapon) yet allowed for precise control.

Thus, each attack in the game is it's own state, with an animation and a movement code (that allows for weapon-specific attack lock-on and several other neat features). Moreover, I was very careful to fully separate animation from logic.

This is how we define each state:

You will notice we have a list of attacks. That's because we treat every attack as a discrete collision check. We do this collision check for one frame (sometimes more) and there can be multiple checks per attack (right now some weapons do up to 6 checks. The more complex the attack pattern the more checks).

This is the typical set up. Notice the collision boxes corresponding to the Meat CLeaver attacks surrounding the player (those collision boxes are inactive unless we are in the frame check, but they showin the inspector). In this particular case we are extending those boxes farther from the character (they follow the animation slightly too closely now):

So basically, for those of you who wondered how we did the interactions player-enemies in the game, we have something in-between a discrete system and a full 3D game. We think it plays really well, although we are aware there's a LOT of polishing and balance to do.

Most specifically, although weapons are snappy, sometimes the animations are not (this is due to me having to do all code, art and animations in the game up to last month. We got a coder, but no artist yet). This is what sometimes makes videos feel a little bit "floaty". That and some weapons not being yet tweaked at all.

This dual approach also means that in case we get extra funding, we can port it to lower spec machines and platforms just by taking away some of the physics/movement functionality and replacing it with simpler code.

I hope this post is of use for people who have expressed an interest on the combat in this game.

Guv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 19, 2014, 07:09:40 AM »

Did you use Qubicle to make these models?

Can I ask how you are animating them? As in, do you rig a character in Unity and use that to Animate it?

I've tried something similar using Qubicle and adding 'joints' (like a hinge or ball joint) but my animations were very difficult to control. The tweening in Unity acts very strangely.
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 19, 2014, 07:15:22 AM »

Did you use Qubicle to make these models?

Can I ask how you are animating them? As in, do you rig a character in Unity and use that to Animate it?

I've tried something similar using Qubicle and adding 'joints' (like a hinge or ball joint) but my animations were very difficult to control. The tweening in Unity acts very strangely.

Sure:

The models are made in Qubicle.

I also make a very basic skeleton (15 bones) on Cheetah3D. That's where I do my animations. Then, in unity I just place the Qubicle models as childrens of the bones of the skeleton I made in Cheetah3D. I have to do it this way because every piece of equipment changes your appearance, so I can't animate the models themselves.

Tweening can definitely be a problem when animating. I strongly recommend getting a simple, inexpensive 3D animation package (there are many for under $100) that can export to FBX.

I will make a post detailing all this as a KS update at some point!

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 20, 2014, 01:09:14 AM »

So we have decided to include stretch goals in our Kickstarter.

I was originally against this, since I'm still worried we won't get funded (I know numbers look up, but unless we maintain a good amount of press presence, our numbers tend to drop FAST).

But it seems people love these. So I wanted feedback from you guys before I post these tonight:

Heart the game!
20k - Base funding.
25k - Extra artist. We'll bring an extra artist to improve the combat animations.
27k - Localization into two other languages (We are doing FIGS for sure. These will add two extra languages to be assessed through backer survey).

Grow the Game!
30k - Endless dungeon mode.
35k - Alternate bosses. Three are planned for the base game. This will add three more.
40k - NPCs + Quests. Our main NPC with a quest is Slash. This will add three new characters and quests that will add detail to the game world.
50k - Local asymmetric Co-op mode. No split screen. A new camera mode will allow one player to controls Heart's robotic pet.
60k - New <EPILOGUE> EPISODE DLC plus True Ending

Heart Attack!
75k - Double the items! A DLC that doubles the number of items and weapons in the game for extra variety.

Share the Love!
90k - Next gen console version. Which console to be assessed through survey. If negotiations with platforms holders allow we'll do more than one version.

So that's it. Also, we are thinking on whether to release the alpha to the public soon or whether to wait. As the guy who's been making the game, I think it has problems that might drive away potential fans. Problems I know I will fix, but not in the very-short term (combat feels ok, but it's still a little clunky. But that requires a lot of tweaking and balancing that I can't achieve in parallel with managing the KS).

I would love to get some feedback on these issues by you guys who have been around more (and who have been following this game)!

Thanks!

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: February 20, 2014, 09:11:31 AM »

Hey Juan, just backed the kickstarter!

I've never run a kickstarter campaign before, so can't speak much to the stretch goals. However, there's one advice which I've heard from fellow Chicago indies who have done Kickstarter before, which is:

Make sure you add a link to a paypal button while you can still change the KS page, so that once your campaign is over, ppl coming to KS can still have a way to support you. It's my understanding that once your campaign is done, KS locks the page so you can't make anymore changes.

Good luck! It looks like you're off to a good start.

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 20, 2014, 09:25:28 AM »

Hey Juan, just backed the kickstarter!

I've never run a kickstarter campaign before, so can't speak much to the stretch goals. However, there's one advice which I've heard from fellow Chicago indies who have done Kickstarter before, which is:

Make sure you add a link to a paypal button while you can still change the KS page, so that once your campaign is over, ppl coming to KS can still have a way to support you. It's my understanding that once your campaign is done, KS locks the page so you can't make anymore changes.

Good luck! It looks like you're off to a good start.

Wow, thanks man! It's nice to feel the support of fellow developers (especially when I like your game so much!)

And that piece of advise... I need to get my paypal account ready to receive funds soon (I don't know how hard that's going to be with Spanish bank accounts. I'll guess I'll figure it out).

Oh, and do please spread the word as much as you can!!!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: February 20, 2014, 12:03:54 PM »

I like the sound of those stretch goals. Especially that the first three focus more on overall polish and improvements to the game.

Now I'm no expert, but personally think you should release the alpha sooner than later.

1) I've read on other comments and from other post mortems that sites are more likely to look at your game and preview it if you have something playable. So it would give you more opportunities for press coverage

2) Right now only some LPers have the alpha. An earloer public release means more people can make videos, share the alpha around the internet, etc.

3) I've seen some campaigns suffer because they waited weeks into their campaign before releasing a demo. Apexicon and Bullet Bros are two examples. Especially for indies games and especially one so focused on combat and the feel of gameplay and mechanics, being able to get an idea of how the game plays probably would do more to convince a person to back than any video or description. That happened for me last week; I had overlooked Olympia Rising, tried the demo after reading some good impressions, loved it, backed, and then me and a few others pushed the game hard on NeoGAF and our support was one of the reasons the game got funded with only five days left in the campaign. But I would have never been interested if it hadn't been for the demo

4) You said one of your fears is that the alpha will drive away potential fans and that's totally understandable; I've even read that is a reason why some advise against demos. But on the other hand, like I said before, letting people see first-hand what you're trying to achieve is probably more effective than a trailer or bullet points. I think people would understand that it's an incomplete alpha of unfinished game and that much more polish and improvements will come in the future.

So yeah, again, I'm no expert on this stuff, so take my opinions with a grain salt.

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2014, 12:15:12 PM »

I like the sound of those stretch goals. Especially that the first three focus more on overall polish and improvements to the game.

Now I'm no expert, but personally think you should release the alpha sooner than later.

1) I've read on other comments and from other post mortems that sites are more likely to look at your game and preview it if you have something playable. So it would give you more opportunities for press coverage

2) Right now only some LPers have the alpha. An earloer public release means more people can make videos, share the alpha around the internet, etc.

3) I've seen some campaigns suffer because they waited weeks into their campaign before releasing a demo. Apexicon and Bullet Bros are two examples. Especially for indies games and especially one so focused on combat and the feel of gameplay and mechanics, being able to get an idea of how the game plays probably would do more to convince a person to back than any video or description. That happened for me last week; I had overlooked Olympia Rising, tried the demo after reading some good impressions, loved it, backed, and then me and a few others pushed the game hard on NeoGAF and our support was one of the reasons the game got funded with only five days left in the campaign. But I would have never been interested if it hadn't been for the demo

4) You said one of your fears is that the alpha will drive away potential fans and that's totally understandable; I've even read that is a reason why some advise against demos. But on the other hand, like I said before, letting people see first-hand what you're trying to achieve is probably more effective than a trailer or bullet points. I think people would understand that it's an incomplete alpha of unfinished game and that much more polish and improvements will come in the future.

So yeah, again, I'm no expert on this stuff, so take my opinions with a grain salt.

Well, we have made the decision today. I will release an early alpha tomorrow in these forums. So that I can fix the most egregious stuff during the weekend. And then we'll release the alpha on Monday on KS and IndieDB. Hopefully it's not too late by then.

The version LPers have has had many bugs fixed already.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: February 20, 2014, 12:43:06 PM »

I'll definitely be playing the alpha!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic