Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411664 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 05:31:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1470 1471 [1472] 1473 1474 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7309448 times)
Conker
« Reply #29420 on: April 21, 2015, 05:17:46 PM »

this also took me a hella long time to realize

art fundamentals apply to pixel art just as much as any other medium
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #29421 on: April 21, 2015, 07:25:23 PM »

to see what feels right for me.
yes but see that's the issue, you're going to be focusing on 'what feels right' rather than actually learning and improving and eventually (like right now, in this very post for instance) you'll use 'it feels right for me' as an excuse for a bad decision or an excuse for not learning
DifferentName
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29422 on: April 21, 2015, 08:38:36 PM »

yes but see that's the issue, you're going to be focusing on 'what feels right' rather than actually learning and improving and eventually (like right now, in this very post for instance) you'll use 'it feels right for me' as an excuse for a bad decision or an excuse for not learning

What bad decisions? I'm just getting started with pixel art, trying a variety of techniques precisely to learn and improve in the art form. If you have a critique on my pixel art I would be happy to hear it, but I hope you won't be a dick about it (like right now, in this very post for instance).  Gentleman

omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29423 on: April 21, 2015, 09:00:10 PM »

What bad decisions? I'm just getting started with pixel art, trying a variety of techniques precisely to learn and improve in the art form. If you have a critique on my pixel art I would be happy to hear it, but I hope you won't be a dick about it (like right now, in this very post for instance).  Gentleman

you may not want to hear it, but gggfhfdh is right.

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #29424 on: April 22, 2015, 02:06:53 AM »

IMO, any direction is better than no direction at all.  Imitation can work fine, but if you want to branch out and be more flexible, you should totally learn the basics.  You're your own person though, and no one can stop you from doing what you want.

Seriously, as long as your goal is to learn, than you're on the right track.

Here's the basics of pixel art as a medium, if you haven't seen this already:  http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:14:52 AM by GhostBomb » Logged

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29425 on: April 22, 2015, 03:37:23 AM »

what a chidlish reaction.... dont you understand that a pixel genius just gave you a great advice and tried to help you?....
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29426 on: April 22, 2015, 03:52:40 AM »

Forget about those losers. Pixel-artist "pantheon" is a bunch of bums who never even released a videogame that reached audience above 100.
FF 6 and Megaman sprite edits proven to be more profitable and popular among the crowd. Getting skilled in pixel art will leave on streets with your pregnant girlfriend.
Conker
« Reply #29427 on: April 22, 2015, 05:57:50 AM »

hes not being a dick don't be so defensive

you shouldn't shut out other artists, we're trying to help. do you understand how important of a life lesson everyone is giving you right now?
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29428 on: April 22, 2015, 07:49:14 AM »

Cobralad, I would've been a happier person if you hadn't had to read what you just wrote. (or my sarcasm sensors are just off again)

Also DifferentName, I don't think anyone is trying to be a dick. Don't worry about it. People are stressing the importance of learning good art principles and not focusing only on certain looks of pixel art. I agree, but I am sure that practice in any medium can lead to a greater proficiency in art in general, so I will cheer you on in your quest for good pixel art.

My opinion: there is nothing wrong with sprite edits. any kind of art practice is good. I learned to draw using 'how to draw manga' guides. They inadvertently taught me general anatomical construction. Arguing about what people are allowed and disallowed to practice is rarely constructive. I still can't stress enough how important it is to EVENTUALLY learn good principles of art: Contrast vs. low contrast, color theory (or rather just proficiency), anatomy, construction, geometrical rendering, etc.

Good luck in your endeavour. Keep posting pixel art!
DifferentName
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29429 on: April 22, 2015, 08:16:05 AM »

you may not want to hear it, but gggfhfdh is right.

No. That wasn't advice about art. It was an accusation against my character. I'm here to practice pixel art, to learn and improve. Your assumptions about me are wrong.

I fully understand Fundamentals > Style, and it's good advice for new artists, depending on their art goals. I'm not a new artist, just new to pixel art. However, the only reason for anyone to do pixel art on modern computers is to achieve a certain style. It's not because the computer requires it to run smoothly. You are putting extra limits on your tools to give the art a certain look. That's style. No one here has said the fundamentals aren't important, but "style" is not a bad word. You shouldn't attack someone for using it.

Seriously, as long as your goal is to learn, than you're on the right track.

Here's the basics of pixel art as a medium, if you haven't seen this already:  http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

Thanks, GhostBomb! That looks like a great resource!

Good luck in your endeavour. Keep posting pixel art!

Thanks! I will.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29430 on: April 22, 2015, 08:35:45 AM »

Not to be rude but your art in Arcanecastle somewhat shows that you're a new artist still learning.

And the problem is that you're too much in a defensive state. Just ignore any advice you consider useless. After all it's your style.

Banksy is considered having no artistc skills by "artist standards" . so who cares. just show success and show us more pixel art. Good luck
kriyo_funions
« Reply #29431 on: April 22, 2015, 10:46:28 AM »

for someone more seasoned, they can see the flaws and mistakes and routes that a beginner is making and tell them so and ignore the beginner's own pacing and where they are at and what resources are available to them.  saying such and such to them but not really seeing why it is that way because they don't have the experience to know it yet, doesn't help.  but just getting into making work, from not, is difficult - starting from square one, this is finger painting.  It's both a intuitive and counter-intuitive process that gets more critical and subtle over time from just practicing, you don't give a kid a paintbrush and tell him to paint this way or that way, you let them play and explore and come into their own.  if someone's gonna learn and have the drive to learn and improve, they're gonna go at it their own pace, and that takes time.  

Also imitation/reference study is valid, and I'm pretty sure some of you went through that at some point, it's another approach to learning that you eventually move on from, but is still a valid approach to learning at first.

some of you are kind of being discouraging Sad

edit: @differentname as your studying other people's work, try to find out why and how they came to it, how it's composed, you can feel it out, a lot of this is about learning to feel it out.  break it down, break down into basic shapes, see it as inhabiting space.  At the same time, just continue what you're doing, get comfortable, get loose but still be critical about what you might struggle with.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:58:35 AM by kriyo_funions » Logged
neight-bit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29432 on: April 22, 2015, 11:36:28 AM »

Wip tiles and Wip BG.

I love the texture and palette you used for the foliage!
Zanhuf
« Reply #29433 on: April 22, 2015, 12:08:40 PM »

So how's the thread doing-

Oh   Sad

Uh anyway, here's some casting animations (updated blue one because it was pretty bad!), tried to make each look different:

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29434 on: April 22, 2015, 12:13:34 PM »

I'm not a big pixel artist by any means, but here's somewhat of a 8-bit turned 16-bit style thing:

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29435 on: April 23, 2015, 01:18:21 AM »

A tree.

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29436 on: April 23, 2015, 04:02:54 PM »

indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29437 on: April 23, 2015, 11:44:39 PM »

any feedback? Thanks!

tinyDino
Level 1

Rawr

View Profile
« Reply #29438 on: April 24, 2015, 12:28:43 AM »

I got bored so i made this. This is my first attempt at semi realistic pixel art if that makes any sense. I guess a better way of putting it is this is my first attempt at something with smallerish pixels. Usually my work has a fez vibe / style and im trying to get away from that. Anyway drawing this gave me an idea for a black and white game so I'm happy with it regardless. Which do you think looks better big pixels or small? I seem to bias towards big pixels but I'm curious about what other people think / like.

tinyDino
Level 1

Rawr

View Profile
« Reply #29439 on: April 24, 2015, 12:29:20 AM »

A tree.

I like that tree. That is a nice tree.
Pages: 1 ... 1470 1471 [1472] 1473 1474 ... 1637
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic