Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411679 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 11:19:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Stage 1: Outer Wall (Cavestory)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Stage 1: Outer Wall (Cavestory)  (Read 32263 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2008, 12:11:25 PM »

I can set the window to 1024x768 pixels and scale the graphics to double their normal size. The viewable area will be a little smaller, but it shouldn't need to scale up to often, and when it does, it won't be too ugly.

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2008, 02:31:58 PM »

Honestly, the zooming in and out is seeming much more appealing the more I think about it. I mean this is about making a good, fun game with indie characters, not a pixel-purist one. If scrambling the art a bit is what it takes, then I'm all for it.

thank you xion!!! i thought you would be the last person to say this!

see! this is what im talking about!
it will really enhance the experience!
increpare
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2008, 05:28:23 PM »

man it'll be just like mode 7 craziness; totally rad!
Mentalpatient109
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2008, 06:10:33 PM »

I'm in favor of scaling.
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2008, 06:14:02 PM »

man it'll be just like mode 7 craziness; totally rad!
It's like the SNES all over again!
FoxBlitzz
Level 0

Watch out! Bad Klik & Play graphics!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2008, 10:36:30 PM »

I dunno, the stage looks a bit too cramped. You sure there's enough room to jump around?
Zaphos
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2008, 11:20:22 PM »

Hmm, on reflection, I like what Xion said.  Perhaps there can be an 'always zoomed way out' mode for pixel purists, though.  (Scaling would be the default -- just thinking it shouldn't be too hard to support both, so why not leave the option.)

I dunno, the stage looks a bit too cramped. You sure there's enough room to jump around?
Not much point in iterating on a level design before you can play test it, though ...
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2008, 12:42:05 AM »

Hmm, on reflection, I like what Xion said.  Perhaps there can be an 'always zoomed way out' mode for pixel purists, though.  (Scaling would be the default -- just thinking it shouldn't be too hard to support both, so why not leave the option.)

Not much point in iterating on a level design before you can play test it, though ...

the reason its so hard to support both is bewcuase the levels wont be able to be bigger then 1 screen if you dont have scaling haha
Zaphos
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2008, 12:53:38 AM »

the reason its so hard to support both is bewcuase the levels wont be able to be bigger then 1 screen if you dont have scaling haha
Er, no ... there's still a limit on the size if you have scaling, since presumably you don't want to go too far below 1x zoom.  So once you've decided how many pixels you'll be showing at once on the max zoom out, you just set that as the base resolution for the pixel purist mode and hope their computer can support it.  (If not ... they still have zoom mode!)
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2008, 04:15:51 AM »

Okay, scaling. We're discussing this. This is good.

Regardless, opinions will be based on stuff in our minds until we see it in action. If it's so easy to impliment, can someone fluent in Game Maker whip something simple up? Sample sprite, buttons to zoom in and out?

I mean, I'd love scaling, but if it's jarring, or we need multiple copies of EVERY sprite, I feel it may be more trouble than its worth.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2008, 08:31:29 AM »

I made a little demo to demonstrate camera scaling (and the Outer Wall, too). Let me know what you think.

Here it is.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2008, 08:46:38 AM »

I'd say that works just fine. Camera should probably be a bit smoother in the final version, but of course it's just a demo, and apart from that I think it's perfect.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2008, 08:48:48 AM »

The camera's are nice! That's pretty cool I must admit. Also I really like the platforms, it's nice to play a game for once and not get hung up on the sides of a platform and stuck!

Good Job  Beer!
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2008, 08:50:56 AM »

You'll hear no complaints from me, it's looking damn fine. Good job as usual Nightshade Gentleman
medieval
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2008, 08:51:55 AM »

That is looking great, far better than I expected. Gentleman
Saker
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2008, 11:09:31 AM »

cool.... more action to the game  Kiss
u guys are doing well  Gentleman
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2008, 11:13:05 AM »

Wow, this turned out really nice! Love the new feeling that it got by the moving camera.  Beer!

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Zaphos
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2008, 01:59:27 PM »

Ah wow, that works great!  Smiley
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2008, 02:06:58 PM »

What they said. Smoother would be nice, but still awesome nonetheless.

undertech
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2008, 03:31:06 PM »

It looks good enough to eat! I find it hilarious that the character stats are also affected by the scroll. I don't know if that's intentional, but you should make it toggleable if you're going to "fix" it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic