Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 11:38:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDo I need a reason
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Do I need a reason  (Read 2972 times)
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 11:52:20 AM »

I see everyone here is telling you ,"play games. play more games...club seals...play games", but I think you should do the opposite.

Hmm this sounds familiar..

(Another thread)
Say you had a dream of a really cool game concept, but said concept involved clubbing baby seals. How would you make that game while remaining true to your own creativity. How far would you go?

Dude, what's up with you and clubbing baby seals? Shocked

But I agree, not playing games should help with getting a fresh view. Also, maybe it's time to do something bigger than usually?

absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 12:43:54 PM »

Lol I didn't even realize I did that. I simply must have had the thought in my mind around the time I wrote the other post. Yeah...I'm gonna go with that answer.  Well, hello there!

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 03:15:58 AM »

Clubbing seals might be one hell of a game, if it revolves around morals.

Yeah.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 05:34:10 AM »

https://www.acc.umu.se/~asker/

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
InvertMouse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 03:13:19 AM »

I think we all go through this at some point. After playing games for decades, no doubt you will feel like you have seen it all. Simply solid gameplay is no longer enough for me. I need emotional content. That usually means endearing characters and a bit more text.

In Mass Effect, I had intended to play through the games as a Renegade character. In two or three scenes, I was moved by the scenarios and I had no choice but to choose the Paragon option. Those moments remain with me far more than that part when I took down some giant space monster, etc Smiley.

Twitter: @InvertMouse
Facebook: http://facebook.com/invertmouse
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 08:20:36 AM »

fans of video games making video games is why video games are shit. learn to hate video games. become inspired by other (better) mediums. then, maybe you can one day make an ok video game.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2014, 08:49:39 AM »

fans of video games making video games is why video games are shit. learn to hate video games. become inspired by other (better) mediums. then, maybe you can one day make an ok video game.

Better mediums?

SEIZE THE NON-BELIEVER!! Mock Anger

Phasma Felis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 09:42:20 PM »

I believe Mr. Dizzee Rascal has the answer to your question:

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 03:27:50 AM »

I don't think the desire to create and the desire to consume are the same thing, so certainly don't feel bad about it if that is your way. I think there is an argument to be made that a lot of the sameness in games today can be attributed to "gamers making games": same tropes and mechanics over and over, etc. it's almost like fan fiction. being less immersed in that might allow for a more critical eye.

but then the exact opposite could be true too! so, eh, whatever works.

Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 10:34:09 AM »

Personally, I just take a quick peruse of titles that have inspired me over the years, and their kin.

NBA Jam on the Genesis is what got me to be curious about how games are actually made. It was Metal Gear Solid and Parasite Eve that got me to say "..I want to make these.". So occasionally I just go back and play those, but often I find myself just turning on a playlist of PSX, Genesis, and SNES classics and all the while de-constructing those gems in my mind. 

What I'm getting at, for me, is going back in time to an era of now modern indie plausibility for a small team, and wondering what I would need to do now to recreate, and iterate. Jot down some notes, come up with a very quick design, take in a heavy breath, and go back to doing what it is that we do. Google Docs has been a very reliable friend over the years for locking away ideas that may or may not ever see the light of day.

Usually that at least kickstarts the brain if anything.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic