Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411580 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 05:25:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBig Bad Bounty | HacknSlash,Looter,Roguelite? PROTOTYPE AVAILABLE!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Big Bad Bounty | HacknSlash,Looter,Roguelite? PROTOTYPE AVAILABLE!  (Read 12500 times)
ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2018, 12:40:38 PM »

This is looking really nice. Wish you the best of luck with your project!
Thank you can't wait to get the demo more polished so more people can check it out

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2018, 08:03:51 PM »

I’m constantly rethinking my color pallettes soooooo here is another pass at what the colors might look like for the first biome.

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2018, 08:32:57 PM »

Ooooone more pass, 90% sure these are the colors I’m thinking of for the Outside Frontier Biome.

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2018, 08:39:43 PM »

I gotta leave this for now I’ve been looking at this painting for too long I need to move on and call it done for now.

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2018, 09:09:14 PM »

Spent today thinking about one line that can describe my game and I came up with this:
“Hunt the Biggest Baddest Outlaws in the Weird, Whimsical, Wild West”
I redid some portions of the Hud aswell.

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2018, 11:51:30 PM »

Hey, this is looking better all the time!

For explaining your game, try this:

https://www.pentadact.com/2012-03-17-gdc-talk-how-to-explain-your-game-to-an-asshole/

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2018, 01:24:54 PM »

Hey, this is looking better all the time!

For explaining your game, try this:

https://www.pentadact.com/2012-03-17-gdc-talk-how-to-explain-your-game-to-an-asshole/

That was an amazing read I rewrote it and as time goes on might rewrite again but I think this one is a lot better.

-A 2d hack ‘n’ slash game where you hunt the Biggest Baddest Outlaws to gain as much street cred as you can while exploring an Everchanging landscape with a wide assortment of whoop ass, ranging from spectral blades to a cannon that shoots toothy creatures.

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2018, 08:47:18 PM »

Worked on some polishing from certain UI things  and player damage effects and planning to add some polish to the Tutorial/intro stage.
Heres an updated game demo - https://www.dropbox.com/s/snzbkuip4hqgsgr/BigBadBounty_Game_V07.zip?dl=0

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2018, 12:01:26 AM »

-A 2d hack ‘n’ slash game where you hunt the Biggest Baddest Outlaws to gain as much street cred as you can while exploring an Everchanging landscape with a wide assortment of whoop ass, ranging from spectral blades to a cannon that shoots toothy creatures.

Yeah I want to buy that game!

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2018, 05:47:35 AM »

Thank you! I appreciate the support  Grin

MSC
Level 0

MSC

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2018, 06:58:12 AM »

I second this sentiment.
I love the art style.
ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2018, 07:14:25 AM »

I second this sentiment.
I love the art style.

Thank you so much!

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2018, 08:30:37 PM »

Created some unfinished art for the tutorial stage, and fine tuned some things with the item pickup system. Things are getting to the point where there are less huge things today and its all a bunch of small things that are hard to notice but make a huge difference. Like  having guns drop from chests and not bounce off screen, sounds simple but and it is but it still gave me a hard time…

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2018, 08:27:17 PM »

I had a problem where you can get stuck on a corner of a platform if you performed a boost jump, Its not 100% gone but now it is much harder to get stuck on a corner I’ll continue trying to make it bomb proof though. Cleaned up some of my code regarding  what happens if the player drops off screen and added fade transitions between maps.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2018, 08:45:57 PM »

The art is looking great!  Smiley  The game kind of reminds me of Earthworm Jim. Grin

At this point of development, it might've been better to wait with the demo.  While the visuals are almost there, the gameplay is lacking.  It's easy to use the gun and kill enemies from a distance so there isn't much challenge.  Just skimmed through most pages so I'm not sure if you mentioned what you have in mind for guns/swords

Coupled with that is the issue of current level design.  I'm guessing the levels are procedurally generated.  I have started thinking of a similar approach for one of my games and it's best to at least "narrow down" the possible platform arrangement based on weapon use and enemy attack/movement.  Reminds me of Featherpunk Prime where players mentioned that actual gameplay wasn't as much fun as it appeared in the trailer  i.e. similar frantic run/slash fun  like in your game. Wink
Trailer:

Gameplay:

Also, be sure that players don't die when jumping down because they aren't able to see the gap below.
I accidentally pressed the R button a few times.  Either a different key or "Are you sure?" type confirmation would be nice.

Oh, one more thing. Do you have the images from your inspiration collage?  I can probably find them with reverse search but sometimes it helps if the image is better quality.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:44:42 PM by io3 creations » Logged

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2018, 06:59:54 AM »

The art is looking great!  Smiley  The game kind of reminds me of Earthworm Jim. Grin

At this point of development, it might've been better to wait with the demo.  While the visuals are almost there, the gameplay is lacking.  It's easy to use the gun and kill enemies from a distance so there isn't much challenge.  Just skimmed through most pages so I'm not sure if you mentioned what you have in mind for guns/swords

Coupled with that is the issue of current level design.  I'm guessing the levels are procedurally generated.  I have started thinking of a similar approach for one of my games and it's best to at least "narrow down" the possible platform arrangement based on weapon use and enemy attack/movement.  Reminds me of Featherpunk Prime where players mentioned that actual gameplay wasn't as much fun as it appeared in the trailer  i.e. similar frantic run/slash fun  like in your game. Wink
Trailer:

Gameplay:

Also, be sure that players don't die when jumping down because they aren't able to see the gap below.
I accidentally pressed the R button a few times.  Either a different key or "Are you sure?" type confirmation would be nice.

Oh, one more thing. Do you have the images from your inspiration collage?  I can probably find them with reverse search but sometimes it helps if the image is better quality.

Thank you for the awesome feedback. Right now its more of a prototype then a demo and I really want to get feedback at all stages even when its a bit broken.The levels are handcrafted but will be randomly reordered.

Right now I want the players to have many options to kickass with so thats why you have guns/swords/items all can be used effectively to play through out the game so the combat feels fresh all the time. The basics of the game is to explore the landscape and hunt Outlaws collecting their bounties with the goal to become bounty king.Fight enemies, Get Gold, Spend Gold for new Weapons,Items,Skills, and Guns, FIght more enemies, all in new environments.

This is the newest version of the game no more r button that can reset the game it has a menu now that you can open with escape and everything else is updated aswell with a tutorial beginning and new levels.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x9ktxx5qbfmsjt9/BigBadBounty_Game_V08.zip?dl=0

I do have some of the images on the inspiration collage it got a bit compressed when I uploaded it to the forums.

I really appreciate the critique its really helpful in getting me to rethink things.

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2018, 09:23:55 PM »

Added a janky cooldown placeholder when you use your items. I figured out the goal of the player which will be to simply complete all the bounties in your bounty book to obtain the title of bounty king. I’m planning to go hard into content creation(more guns, enemies, environments, skills, items, and mods) so I can start filling the bounty book and create incentive for the player.

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2018, 08:29:48 PM »

I'm trying to ramp back into the art creation because I need to start making some polished assets but i feel rusty so here are some rough sketches some from ref.

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2018, 08:40:11 AM »

I’m focusing on art direction right now so heres an Illustration of Rin showing my process from start to finish.

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2018, 09:23:27 PM »

Heres my next illustration of the Crimson Unicorn I really want to see how this character looks like when done in a more polished style.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic