Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411780 Posts in 69413 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: mrferguson.md

May 26, 2024, 09:48:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSquare Shooter - musical instrument/game thingy
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Square Shooter - musical instrument/game thingy  (Read 1354 times)
NiallM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: March 01, 2010, 03:40:23 AM »

I'm not sure this really came out right.

I was trying to make a music game that was a bit more meaningful than the guitar hero/hit-the-buttons-in-time-to-the-music-style games.  The idea was that, in playing the game, the player would also be playing a kind of musical instrument, able to create their own melodies etc. rather than being forced down a proscribed path.  So each play-through would be an actual musical performance, only controlled with a keyboard/gamepad rather than a guitar, violin etc.

In practice though, I don't think it really works as either a musical instrument or a game.  So, before I chuck it on the pile of things that sounded good in my head but didn't work out in reality, I thought I'd throw it open to the good folk of TIGForums.  What could I do to make it work better?

Download (Windows only, I'm afraid).

Oh, btw all the sounds in the game are synthesized in-game, no samples here.
(and yeah, the score is entirely arbitrary and pointless...)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 03:49:19 AM by NiallM » Logged

ortoslon
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 07:09:05 AM »

In practice though, I don't think it really works as either a musical instrument or a game.  

i enjoyed it, i think it's a nice musical toy. maybe let the player control the beat (several buttons to toggle each drum)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:43:34 AM by ortoslon » Logged
leonsulivan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 08:57:29 AM »

I really like the style of the game, not only the graphics but also the way to play.

There is two thing i less like however.

The first thing is the "Red Level", it hurt my eyes to see all this red ^^.
Maybe the range between the dark red and the light red isn't enough.

The other thing I don't really like is the sound made by the little enemies. No matter what I do the sound produced is really bad (maybe I'm just a bad musician :-°)

So in summary it's nice, I enjoyed it Smiley

NiallM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 12:11:15 PM »

Thanks for the comments Smiley

i enjoyed it, i think it's a nice musical toy. maybe let the player control the beat (several buttons to toggle each drum)
Yeah, I might experiment with different input schemes, see if I can create a stronger connection between the player's actions and the result.  Once the crash and the clap bullets come on they tend to hit everything on the screen, regardless of what the player does.

The first thing is the "Red Level", it hurt my eyes to see all this red ^^.
Maybe the range between the dark red and the light red isn't enough.

The other thing I don't really like is the sound made by the little enemies. No matter what I do the sound produced is really bad (maybe I'm just a bad musician :-°)
The colour scaling's a bit off, I do need to fix that.  Assuming the sound of the wee enemies isn't buggy (it should be a kind of distorted whistling) I should probably change that.  I didn't have any particular sonic 'scheme' in mind when I made the game, and I'm not sure the sounds exactly work together.  I should maybe replace that sound with more of a synthesized string sound.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic