Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 10:57:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBob Came in Piece
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Bob Came in Piece  (Read 6935 times)
Kappe
Level 0

www.ludosity.com

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2009, 04:28:29 AM »

Hey gamers!

Have been around for a while but I thought I should register now Smiley So my second post here now.

So this is Bob Came in Piece, or Project M.I.F.O. (my identified flying object)...want feedback on the title of the game too hehe Smiley

But anyhow. The level you are going to test out is not the final one though. Just want to hear your first impressions of the game and what you think of it; game play, puzzles, controls, visuals, sounds, music etc. The game is not optimized for the web since it is not going to be a web game, but Unity let us do it quite nicely Smiley

www.ludosity.com/MIFO/mifotest.html

Hope you enjoy!
Kind regards,
Daniel

Hi! Currently starting our own game company called Ludosity Interactive. www.ludosity.com for more info Smiley
James Kaudewitz
Level 0

Aughmogmog!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 11:02:27 AM »

I don't really feel motivated to install unity player on my computer today, but I admit that the game looks quite professional. Hope it gets done.

Oh, and "Bob Came in Piece(Peace?)" seems pretty cool... if it applies well enough to the game.

est. February 2009
Kappe
Level 0

www.ludosity.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 02:37:03 AM »

Hi James!
I hope you have the motivation to install unity web player now. When I first tried the unity web player plugin it installed really smooth without needing to restart the browser. Maybe I was lucky.

About the title: Yeah, it is suppose to sound like Peace since you are some kind of non human character controlling the ship. Piece and Peace sounds the same. But the grammar is wrong and he actually came in pieces Tongue

Hi! Currently starting our own game company called Ludosity Interactive. www.ludosity.com for more info Smiley
LazyWaffle
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 03:36:55 AM »

This is awesome! I love the graphics and lighting effects. The music fits this sort of game perfectly.
James Kaudewitz
Level 0

Aughmogmog!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 10:51:49 AM »

Bah, I tried to install Unity. IT says it wasn't decompiled properly. I'll try again later, maybe.

est. February 2009
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 11:07:38 AM »

really great!  Hand Clap

i'd go with M.I.F.O for the title, using "piece" instead of "peace" will confuse people when translated through word of mouth etc. i really liked the ship building aspect. I think it needs a bit more attention to detail on the usability/thruster differentiation aspect but it's definitely heading in the right direction.

I only played it for ten minutes or so (quit around the part after I got the green gear to unblock the larger cog. I quit (i think) because i didn't really see anything in the ship builder that would cut away/burn the vines to get those 3 coins to the left of the tunnel. I plan on going back to it though and playing longer.

Almost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 03:25:32 PM »

I like.

Comments:
customize controls for attractors.
in the editor (which I like), be able to change the key for a part by pressing the new key when the mouse is hovered over it (when the current key is displayed)

It's possible to cause yourself to become stuck; between heavy physics objects and walls, and if you equip yourself with a lame ship control setup. (a left thruster, but no right thruster, for example; you can't get back to the workshop place.. a "reset to last workshop" button might be good.

A game of mine: Ten Second War
alphasmart
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 05:28:43 PM »

I very like.  Splendid art style, very promising concept which I hope will reach its full potential in the final version.

For comments and criticism, firstly the physics: while it is largely very well executed, as can so often happen with physics games there were a few clunky moments.  With the massive gear, it's annoying that it naturally moves clockwise, as in the first area I didn't notice the trapdoor at first so I tried to scrape at the cog to move it a tiny bit, and ended up being trapped in the corner.  In a similar vein, when placing the first green cog, sometimes it spins automatically and doesn't interact with the fixed cog, meaning I have to take it off and put it back on again in the hope it remembers what it does.

Secondly, the graphics.  When I first started the game I was utterly delighted at what I saw.  The backgrounds really work to give some atmosphere, and there is clear evidence of thoughtfulness.  Having said that, I do feel that unity's apparently stock graphics - as evidenced in the coins and the collection sparkles in particular - rather clash with the rest of the graphics.  This is a demo so I suppose the graphics aren't final but it's a shame for such a lovingly crafted world to be spoilt by the clashing of the different art-styles of unity-default and your lovely World-of-Goo style art.  This applies to the lighting too - it really doesn't agree with the cel-shaded style.  Also, I was a bit frustrated with the inexplicable invisible ceiling at the start.  A great big sky and I can only go so high?  What gives?

This is a lot of criticism but it's all constructive and I don't want to detract from the fact that what you've got here is incredibly promising, both in concept and in visuals.  I gasped in delight when I worked out how to burn the vines, and those coins trapped behind the vines is a really good choice, which this game seems to have a lot of.  I look forward to the final product!
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 11:30:39 PM »

It's really excellent. The camera movement is beautiful.

Is there only one level? If not, then I experienced some sort of glitch with the 'next level' button.

Kappe
Level 0

www.ludosity.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 04:41:53 AM »

Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys! I don't know where to start. Hopefully we'll manage to fix most of the stuff you have written.

Almost: Unfortunately to change the keys right know, you need do throw the rocket away and re-attach it. Don't know if the programmers will have the time to fix it so you can change key bindings. We have also tried to put extra collision boxes all over the place in the newer version of the level so you wont get stuck that easy anymore. Also, a reset to workshop button is there, try the key R. Saw right know that the instructions are wrong.

alphasmart: About the graphics, it is all ours. Nothing is being used from Unity's stock graphics as far as I know and nothing is final til we release the game Smiley Although the sparks is not animated in this version because limitations of Unity's particle system. We'll try to do our best and thanks again for all the kind words. About the cogs, they have been a pain in the ass and we still don't know how to fix it. We have tried a lot of stuff and we have thought about throwing them away since they bug so much Sad I blame the physics...

William Broom: We have more levels. The build you played is not currently optimized for the web, thus have too many faulty things. But the standalone will be greatererer Smiley

LazyWaffle: Thankz! :D

James: That is just crazy :S Btw, did you know that Unity Indie is now FREE?

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 06:33:51 AM »

Yeah, you should go with M.I.F.O. for the title. I couldn't help think of Bob's Game when I first saw the thread title... and I guess that's not something you'd want.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
James Kaudewitz
Level 0

Aughmogmog!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 08:47:09 AM »

Well, I almost got it to work. Then it gave me a "bad file length" error.  Lips Sealed

Maybe NEXT TIME.

est. February 2009
deathtotheweird
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 08:57:40 AM »

James: That is just crazy :S Btw, did you know that Unity Indie is now FREE?

I think he's using pro, because Unity Indie shows a watermark at the beginning of the game.
Kappe
Level 0

www.ludosity.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 10:25:03 AM »

Currently we are upgrading our project to Unity 2.6. Some new errors has occurred which we are trying to nail out.

allen: Hmm it was a recommendation to James to test out Unity if he was curious of how stuff works. I know we are using Unity Pro Smiley

deathtotheweird
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 11:16:07 AM »

Oh, haha. Oops. Didn't read who posted it.  Tongue
Kappe
Level 0

www.ludosity.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 01:57:53 AM »

We submitted our game for IGF. We'll see what happens Smiley

James Kaudewitz
Level 0

Aughmogmog!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 06:36:49 PM »

We submitted our game for IGF. We'll see what happens Smiley
Yes, I noticed it there while scrolling through the 300+ GAMES. Hope it goes well.

est. February 2009
FiaStarta
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 09:19:42 AM »

Ok, for once something using the Unity engine that doesn't seem to be crap. But pleeeeeaaaase, we have arrow keys on our keyboards, even 2 set of them Sad

What's wrong in supporting BOTH WSAD AND arrows?
LazyWaffle
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 05:24:34 AM »

Ok, for once something using the Unity engine that doesn't seem to be crap. But pleeeeeaaaase, we have arrow keys on our keyboards, even 2 set of them Sad

What's wrong in supporting BOTH WSAD AND arrows?
What's wrong with WASD?
Kappe
Level 0

www.ludosity.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 12:29:38 AM »

We will fix the WASD/arrowkeys problem. But you can actually re map your engines in the monkey wrenches. Push enter to enable the ship builder Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic